Around the NHL XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
In case anyone was wondering.. signing Marner is the leafs top priority! Not even focusing on teaching ceci how to exit zone...

Reactions: Maple Leaf

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Looking at Tampa, next season I dont know how they are going to make things work.
Right now they have $11M to sign Point and Erne. Might be tight, but it can be done.

Next year they will have $13M (minus whatever Point and Erne sign for) to re-sign Cirelli, Joseph, Martel, Cernak and Sergachev.

Stamkos, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn, Hedman, McDonagh all have NTC or NMC

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Looking at Tampa, next season I dont know how they are going to make things work.
Right now they have $11M to sign Point and Erne. Might be tight, but it can be done.

Next year they will have $13M (minus whatever Point and Erne sign for) to re-sign Cirelli, Joseph, Martel, Cernak and Sergachev.

Stamkos, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn, Hedman, McDonagh all have NTC or NMC

Killorn's full NTC turns into a LNTC (provides a list of 16 teams he CAN be traded to).

I'd assume he'd be the one on the way out. It'd still be really tight, but IF they trade Killorn and IF Point takes a little less and IF they bridge Sergachev they might be able to fit it together.

EDIT: The more I look into it the more I think they'll be forced to move one of Palat/Johnson on top of Killorn or they'll be forced to make a difficult decision with Sergachev. The rest of the roster looks to be able to fit together. I'm sure the preference would be to move a forward, but a D-core consisting of Hedman, McDonagh, Foote, Cernak, Coburn is still pretty decent if they have to deal with the "worst case scenario" of moving MS.

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Anyone have the Coles notes on the Fenton article? If not for our owner, I think Minnesota would be in a worse situation than us. Long term anyway. But they have an owner with the means and desire to turn it around. We don't.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone have the Coles notes on the Fenton article? If not for our owner, I think Minnesota would be in a worse situation than us. Long term anyway. But they have an owner with the means and desire to turn it around. We don't.

paranoid weirdo that put little to no thought/due diligence into any trades he made

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Blues might reach the SC finals but it's unlikely/ The Bruins haven't improved and they]re too old. Their younger [layers can't replace Cara, Bergeron, Krejci. and Marchand (all of whom are n their 30s. Teams who drafted will in the last 4-5 years will supplant them.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Jonathan Dahlen, Sens 2nd rounder and key component of the ill-fated Alex Burrows trade (and later traded to San Jose this past season), has returned to play in the Swedish league with Timra for the 2019-20 season.

Lots of chitter-chatter from his time in Vancouver about his attitude, and some scouting reports hinting that his skating hasn't improved much since his draft year. Wonder if he'll find his way to the NHL eventually and this is just a speed bump, or if he's back to Europe for good.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Jonathan Dahlen, Sens 2nd rounder and key component of the ill-fated Alex Burrows trade (and later traded to San Jose this past season), has returned to play in the Swedish league with Timra for the 2019-20 season.

Lots of chitter-chatter from his time in Vancouver about his attitude, and some scouting reports hinting that his skating hasn't improved much since his draft year. Wonder if he'll find his way to the NHL eventually and this is just a speed bump, or if he's back to Europe for good.

Not sure if it's good assessment or just luck that both Dahlin and Rundblad, the next coming of Karlsson both didn't pan out. Not that Burrows was a steal in the deal like Turris was though.

Reactions: Beville

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Can't be the same guy because the Sens gave up a sure fire top 6 forward for Burrows! ( well according to some people on this forum)

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not sure if it's good assessment or just luck that both Dahlin and Rundblad, the next coming of Karlsson both didn't pan out. Not that Burrows was a steal in the deal like Turris was though.

Little mix up, Dahlen is the forward prospect Ottawa to Vancouver, Dahlin is the defensemen who was drafted 1st overall by Buffalo and had a fantastic rookie season.

There were a lot of people irate about the Dahlen trade becuase he was putting up good numbers in Sweden. Outside of the fan base there were comparison with the Filip Forsberg trade. Some thought Vancouver was getting a comparable level of player but like Rundblad it’s a good reminder that it’s not about production in other leagues rather it’s projecting a skill set to the NHL which goes beyond a search on hockeyDB. See it way too often where a prospect is conpared to another simply on their production, sometimes the players play in different leagues even.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Not a coincidence, sometimes you have to hand it to the scouting staff. Despite all the flare, they obviously see some red flags or issues that wouldn’t allow both rundblad and dahlen to achieve their potential. Only problem was, trading rundblad was a home run and trading dahlen was a dud with Alex burrows (and an extra 2 year contract). Most fans should just be upset that they didn’t sell high, it then again maybe the word was out on him

Reactions: DrEasy and SPF6ty9

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Not a coincidence, sometimes you have to hand it to the scouting staff. Despite all the flare, they obviously see some red flags or issues that wouldn’t allow both rundblad and dahlen to achieve their potential. Only problem was, trading rundblad was a home run and trading dahlen was a dud with Alex burrows (and an extra 2 year contract). Most fans should just be upset that they didn’t sell high, it then again maybe the word was out on him

This is true, I guess it's just weird that the front office would see red flags less than a year after drafting him, especially in a year he made a noticeable statistical improvement.

It likely turned out in the end since we got something for potentially nothing, but like you said, there was a lot more value to get for a recent second rounder who, at least to the outside observer, seemed to be making improvements.

Reactions: SensHulk

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That was the main criticism of the trade when it happened....Dahlen was worth more than Burrows, and should've fetched a much better return. What Dahlen eventually becomes is irrelevant. We sold low on a prospect that was rising in value.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That was the main criticism of the trade when it happened....Dahlen was worth more than Burrows, and should've fetched a much better return. What Dahlen eventually becomes is irrelevant. We sold low on a prospect that was rising in value.

Sort of... I mean, Dahlen had pretty much peaked in value now that we have the benefit of hindsight. He had appeared to be progressing well, and was getting praise from various 3rd party sources, but in the end, scouting prospects isn't an exact science. We also have the benefit of hindsight with Burrows; a buyout.

Dahlen seemed to be a well regarded prospect at the time, the issue imo was more the valuation of Burrows. Dorion seemed to see him as a solution to Neil's pending retirement, so I think he saw Burrow's only being willing to waive his NTC if an extension was signed as a positive, but the reality is it should have drastically weakened Vancouver's leverage.

In the end, both teams lost the trade imo. Ottawa should have been able to get a better deal particularly with Burrows demanding an extension. Vancouver comes away empty handed as the prospect hasn't worked out so far and they moved on.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Sort of... I mean, Dahlen had pretty much peaked in value now that we have the benefit of hindsight. He had appeared to be progressing well, and was getting praise from various 3rd party sources, but in the end, scouting prospects isn't an exact science. We also have the benefit of hindsight with Burrows; a buyout.

Dahlen seemed to be a well regarded prospect at the time, the issue imo was more the valuation of Burrows. Dorion seemed to see him as a solution to Neil's pending retirement, so I think he saw Burrow's only being willing to waive his NTC if an extension was signed as a positive, but the reality is it should have drastically weakened Vancouver's leverage.

In the end, both teams lost the trade imo. Ottawa should have been able to get a better deal particularly with Burrows demanding an extension. Vancouver comes away empty handed as the prospect hasn't worked out so far and they moved on.
Neil would have likely been more effective, cheaper and I believe younger too but not bothering to look it up

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

For some reason, Dahlen was viewed very highly in here. That trade caused a shit show in here. At the time, I remember PD on 1200 stating the internal assessment of Dahlen was that he was about our 8th best prospect.

I don't want to rehash that trade. It happened. We had an ECF run. The prospect didn't pan out. I guess sometimes the team's employees are better at assessing talent than the internet stars.

It also highlights the depth built in our system. At the time Dahlen was our 8th or so best prospect and he came nothing....we've got much more talent in the system now

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
For some reason, Dahlen was viewed very highly in here. That trade caused a **** show in here. At the time, I remember PD on 1200 stating the internal assessment of Dahlen was that he was about our 8th best prospect.

I don't want to rehash that trade. It happened. We had an ECF run. The prospect didn't pan out. I guess sometimes the team's employees are better at assessing talent than the internet stars.

It also highlights the depth built in our system. At the time Dahlen was our 8th or so best prospect and he came nothing....we've got much more talent in the system now

I mean without rehashing it, it is pretty well documented that HFboards harbors an outsized bias towards ceilings and value of prospects. It's somewhat understandable, it's basically in the full name. Hockey's Future.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Burrows did contribute. He helped the team make the playoffs (11 points in 20 games) and then helped them get all the way to the semi-finals (5 points in 15 games). He also added veteran leadership and made the team tougher.

Didn't the Sens have the worst bottom 6 in the league before the trade deadline? Dorion added Burrows, Stalberg and Wingels which instantly toughened them up.

Burrows was dead weight the next season. And I was as disgusted as everyone when I heard we traded Dahlan. But in hindsight, this was one of Dorion's few wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad