Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Phaneuf really has looked good for the Kings. Nevermind the goals, his defense has been pretty solid. He is slow but it hasn't been a liability yet. And his toughness has been very much needed for the Kings. Last night Chicago kept trying to go after him and he would give them that crazy stare and they'd just skate away without doing anything. The goals have been a bonus and his passing on the power play has been excellent. It's only been a handful of games but so far so good.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Phaneuf really had looked good for the Kings. Nevermind the goals, his defense has been pretty solid. He is slow but it hasn't been a liability yet. And his toughness has been very much needed for the Kings. Last night Chicago kept trying to go after him and he would give them that crazy stare and they'd just skate away without doing anything. The goals have been a bonus and his passing on the power play has been excellent. It's only been a handful of games but so far so good.
Good to hear.. Hope he works out for you guys

Reactions: WHOneedsSOX

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Damn....listening to Roberto Luongo's speech before the game is heart-breaking. It's quite sobering to think hockey players have had to make 2 speeches like this so far this season.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nash and Grabner both pulled from the lineup tonight
7wcpc_by_rainrivermusic-d7csf1n.gif

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
NJ looking like a pretty deep team now and could still add another piece or two. All backed up by a great goalie in Schneider. I'd be wary about playing them in the playoffs.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Damn....listening to Roberto Luongo's speech before the game is heart-breaking. It's quite sobering to think hockey players have had to make 2 speeches like this so far this season.

He should stick to hockey. Nobody cares about his opinions on this.

Just kidding. I just wanted to make fun of people who think that way, because they are morons.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man what I would give to have Jeff Gorton as this team's GM. Look at what the dude has been up to lately:

Nash, Grabner, Holden

for

Spooner, Lindgren, Rykov, Beleskey, 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2018 3rd, 2019 7th

Amazing returns for all 3 players.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Man what I would give to have Jeff Gorton as this team's GM. Look at what the dude has been up to lately:

Nash, Grabner, Holden

for

Yes thats impressive. It sure can payoff when you can eat significant salary like on Nash or take back terrible contracts like Belesky.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yes thats impressive. It sure can payoff when you can eat significant salary like on Nash or take back terrible contracts like Belesky.

Oh there are definitely benefits to being a rich franchise like the Rangers, but still I think he did really well in the Nash trade.

Rangers are retaining 50% on Nash's contract, but that's only for the remaining 20 games of the season.

Gorton actually got the Bruins to retain half of Beleskey's salary, so it's only 2M for the next 3 years.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Boston retained 50% on Beleskey which makes his contract not that bad actually. That trade especially was absolute robbery by the Rangers. Don't get why Boston did that. Nash makes them better (even though Spooner has more points) but that was a hefty pricetag.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Oh there are definitely benefits to being a rich franchise like the Rangers, but still I think he did really well in the Nash trade.

Rangers are retaining 50% on Nash's contract, but that's only for the remaining 20 games of the season.

Gorton actually got the Bruins to retain half of Beleskey's salary, so it's only 2M for the next 3 years.
Oh wow didnt know Belesky was retained on, thats pretty surprising but i dont blame them if thats what it took. That was one of those contracts you just knew was going to turn out poorly as soon as it was announced

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Nash, Grabner, Holden

for

Thats alot to give up for a crappy playoff forward, inconsistent 3rd liner and a bottom pairing dman.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I also love what Doug Armstrong is doing. Solid return for Stastny.

He's rational enough to realize that the Blues aren't true cup contenders this year, thus it makes sense to deal Stastny, a short-term asset, for long-term assets. Did the same with Shattenkirk last year.

Blues have one of the best futures in the league because of his excellent worth. Big fan.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Tampa is an absolute Powerhouse.

Miller is a HUGE boost over Namestikov. I love his game. So much better than Nash, whom I'm sure would have attracted more praise had he gone to Tampa compared to Miller.

Adding a top pairing D at the expense of nobody from the roster is huge.

I can't see Pitts D keeping up with Tampa's 3 lines of fire power. Tampa is so deep, one of the most impressive rosters from top to bottom.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Someone at work said Murray (PIT) got hurt at practice today?

EDIT: seems like it. Hopefully he's ok but hopefully the Pens end up missing the playoffs hehe

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Looks like the Sabres didn't get what they were looking for from the Evander Kane trade. Couldn't get a firm 1st, got Jack Eichel a linemate but still rolling the dice on that one, and a 4th.

If the Sharks get bounced early, and I suspect they will, then I don't see them resigning Kane which means they give up a 2nd instead.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tampa is an absolute Powerhouse.

Miller is a HUGE boost over Namestikov. I love his game. So much better than Nash, whom I'm sure would have attracted more praise had he gone to Tampa compared to Miller.

Adding a top pairing D at the expense of nobody from the roster is huge.

I can't see Pitts D keeping up with Tampa's 3 lines of fire power. Tampa is so deep, one of the most impressive rosters from top to bottom.

Agreed ,.... They added two excellent players to an already excellent team. I think Miller as a 2 way C is an upgrade.. He will fit in really well. McDonaugh is still a great shut down D... If they stay healthy ,, they are the cup fave for sure.. The ECF vs the Pens will be good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad