NHL Around the NHL XXIII - Hockey is BACK!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have dual citizenship so yes

NBC never forgot that they were not allowed to use a Sportsnet camera last year when we had a problem

maple-leafs-fan-head.jpg

I think this is a reasonable compromise. I feel for the Canadians who were hoping to get work in Toronto, but with Canada already rightfully getting both host cities and Sportsnet doing the feed from Edmonton, it's fair that NBC receive primacy and can bring their own crew whom they know and trust to Ontario, as long as they do it safely. And it means you get to work on site, which is great! Plus we get a man on the inside :thumbu:

I wonder what caused the change though - as of last week you were working in Connecticut and the Sportsnet crew were going to be running things in Toronto. So how did NBC swing this almost at the last minute?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think this is a reasonable compromise. I feel for the Canadians who were hoping to get work in Toronto, but with Canada already rightfully getting both host cities and Sportsnet doing the feed from Edmonton, it's fair that NBC receive primacy and can bring their own crew whom they know and trust to Ontario, as long as they do it safely. And it means you get to work on site, which is great! Plus we get a man on the inside :thumbu:

I wonder what caused the change though - as of last week you were working in Connecticut and the Sportsnet crew were going to be running things in Toronto. So how did NBC swing this almost at the last minute?

I was shocked by the change but the justification is the Toronto hub has 10 US cities and 2 in Canada and Edmonton has 4 Canadian cities and 8 US.

What it came down to was the NHL ( and NBC ) did not trust Sportsnet to provide a true neutral video feed in games involving the Leafs.

Boston based camera ops have a 60+ year reputation on shooting games and a farm system thanks to college hockey.

This game was shot by a local crew in Boston from Channel 7 ( the old WNAC-TV) in 1959 that the CBC hired. The camera work was exceptional for that era.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm seeing nothing from NHL Centre Ice on pricing or packages for the upcoming resumption/playoffs. Any word from other online providers?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Truth is NBC's top crews are better than Sportsnet's and it has been this way since CBC lost the contract. Keep in mind this is not about money as it would have been far cheaper to use Toronto people.

I don't wish hardship on anyone, but if their ridiculously pro-Leafs bias is why they are out, they have only themselves to blame.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
I'm seeing nothing from NHL Centre Ice on pricing or packages for the upcoming resumption/playoffs. Any word from other online providers?
As the season was cut short I asked my TV provider if subscribers were getting a refund or credit once play resumes. They said no which I thought was puzzling...why wouldnt there be at least a credit?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
As the season was cut short I asked my TV provider if subscribers were getting a refund or credit once play resumes. They said no which I thought was puzzling...why wouldnt there be at least a credit?

you should at least get a sports package tax credit for the 4 months.

Reactions: Budddy

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

It may be a different thing, but the Center Ice that I see on FiOS has had 4 "classic" games playing on a loop for quite awhile. I don't know how frequently they change them, but they have been providing a service. It's not the service you paid for, but you technically are getting something...and the service has spilled over into July.

I'm not saying it's fair at all, and I do think you should probably get a 10% refund or credit for the next season.

Reactions: Budddy

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I love the little crochet outfit. :) although he certainly doesn't look happy to be wearing those colors :laugh:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
With the Washington Redskins (formerly the Boston Redskins long long ago) announcing a change to their name, is Chicago's Blackhawks moniker also on borrowed time? I know they've come out and said they won't change it, but surely this increases the pressure to do so.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
With the Washington Redskins (formerly the Boston Redskins long long ago) announcing a change to their name, is Chicago's Blackhawks moniker also on borrowed time? I know they've come out and said they won't change it, but surely this increases the pressure to do so.
I would be really disappointed. I think the reason the Redskins got so much flak is because it’s a direct comment on a native american’s skin tone. Like if you name a team the whites, blacks or the yellows even. I hope this makes sense. The stereotypical Native American logo doesn’t help either.

I don’t find the Blackhawks name to be racist as it is a representation of an actual Native American prominent in the history of Illinois. There may be some college students that protest, but I find it to be done in the spirit of that person as opposed to outright suggesting that native Americans are savages.

it also doesn’t help that Dan Snyder is an asshole

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

Redskins is used as a derogatory term. That's why it's changing. Blackhawks, like the Florida state Seminoles, are named after tribes. They should be fine.

The Cleveland Indians though.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I think the Blackhawk name will likely survive, given they're named after a Native American leader, and it's not a slur. The more likely change is to the logo. Worst case scenario is they could always change the logo to an actual black hawk, since their mascot is already one.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I would be really disappointed. I think the reason the Redskins got so much flak is because it’s a direct comment on a native american’s skin tone. Like if you name a team the whites, blacks or the yellows even. I hope this makes sense. The stereotypical Native American logo doesn’t help either.

I don’t find the Blackhawks name to be racist as it is a representation of an actual Native American prominent in the history of Illinois. There may be some college students that protest, but I find it to be done in the spirit of that person as opposed to outright suggesting that native Americans are savages.

it also doesn’t help that Dan Snyder is an asshole

Redskins is used as a derogatory term. That's why it's changing. Blackhawks, like the Florida state Seminoles, are named after tribes. They should be fine.

The Cleveland Indians though.

I think the Blackhawk name will likely survive, given they're named after a Native American leader, and it's not a slur. The more likely change is to the logo. Worst case scenario is they could always change the logo to an actual black hawk, since their mascot is already one.

I agree on all these points. Redskins has clear derogatory connotations that Blackhawks doesn't, which makes them quite different cases. I think you could raise a concern on cultural/identity appropriation grounds, especially as the original Black Hawk spent much of his life fighting against America, but I'm not sure this is enough in itself to make the name intolerably offensive.

I further agree that the logo is problematic and is the one thing that really should change. Using an actual black hawk is probably the most sensible idea.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Ummmm we already paid for it. Shouldn't cost another dime.

Ummm, maybe you did, but I didn't. I don't buy the full season, but I wait for their special pricing to get the end of the regular season games and the playoffs. A package they offer late in every season. This year, if didn't happen, obviously. I'm assuming they'll offer something for the playoffs. Why wouldn't they?

Reactions: TD Charlie

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I agree on all these points. Redskins has clear derogatory connotations that Blackhawks doesn't, which makes them quite different cases. I think you could raise a concern on cultural/identity appropriation grounds, especially as the original Black Hawk spent much of his life fighting against America, but I'm not sure this is enough in itself to make the name intolerably offensive.

I further agree that the logo is problematic and is the one thing that really should change. Using an actual black hawk is probably the most sensible idea.

Chicago Blackhawks name and logo controversy - Wikipedia

Give it a read, interesting information.

It has only become problematic in the past two years, before that the local Chicago native association had no real issue with it.
It is honoring a hero of America's past yet they are twisting it to something it was never intended to be.
Even their recent argument of Chief Blackhawk being dishonored by being on merchandise or rugs does not hold true as that is done to founding fathers and non-native heros of the past.

The motive behind naming the team is to honor Chief Blackhawk and the military regiment that also honored him by naming themselves after him.
Thats worlds different than Redskins or the Indians logo.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Ummm, maybe you did, but I didn't. I don't buy the full season, but I wait for their special pricing to get the end of the regular season games and the playoffs. A package they offer late in every season. This year, if didn't happen, obviously. I'm assuming they'll offer something for the playoffs. Why wouldn't they?
Then call them and ask? Or check the center ice thread, maybe it's already answered?

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I'm with you. I always hold off until the package drops to something like $40.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

I'm looking for this too but I guess they can't sell what they may not be able to provide.

Here in Quebec, gym owners are not allowed to sell memberships due to the uncertainty of actually being able to provide the service. Daily pass is all they can sell.

They will probably wait until at least they are in the bubble and things look a little more certain. Just a guess though.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Any announcements on preseason schedule for bruins and if it will be on TV ?

The National Hockey League announced that the Black & Gold will play their lone exhibition game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday, July 30 at 7 p.m. ET.

TV is still in limbo but it MIGHT be on NESNplus to give Jack and Andy practice calling from a monitor

NESN has a Red Sox game that night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad