NHL Around the NHL XXIII - Hockey is BACK!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, Don Fehr and Mathieu Schneider discuss the NHL and NHLPA agreeing to a CBA extension and take questions from the media on the NHL's return to play plan​

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Oilers & Leafs forced to cancel today's events under direction from NHL.

CF8E9B7C-4979-444D-A0D5-C20EE850F888.jpeg

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I heard it had something to do with who teams could bring with them along with the players that would be considered essential.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
NBC is hearing Canada wants the teams to be in quarantine when they start training camp this week.

Define "in quarantine"? Staying at local hotels? Just really locked down, like people SHOULD be doing? In the Canadian hotels? I mean, the last option is a bit last minute, but teams have planes. But I guess part of the problem is figuring out how to get players to their "team home". Also a problem if players are trying to arrange for mundane stuff at their in-season home/apartment...but supposedly the teams are supposed to have staff to take care of players' families while they're gone.

Honestly, that pic in the other thread of maskless Pasta (and Kase, I think?) with his hands around the fans isn't doing anyone any favors. Honestly, I wouldn't care if he came within 3 feet of someone "glancingly" while everyone's wearing a mask, but I'm not comfy with touching, even if it's not the primary mode of transmission of COVID. Red Sox also put up this:

Yeah, I get it, they're in the bubble with each other - they're essentially in the same "household". But can we just not go around touching random surfaces unnecessarily?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Define "in quarantine"? Staying at local hotels? Just really locked down, like people SHOULD be doing? In the Canadian hotels? I mean, the last option is a bit last minute, but teams have planes. But I guess part of the problem is figuring out how to get players to their "team home". Also a problem if players are trying to arrange for mundane stuff at their in-season home/apartment...but supposedly the teams are supposed to have staff to take care of players' families while they're gone.

Honestly, that pic in the other thread of maskless Pasta (and Kase, I think?) with his hands around the fans isn't doing anyone any favors. Honestly, I wouldn't care if he came within 3 feet of someone "glancingly" while everyone's wearing a mask, but I'm not comfy with touching, even if it's not the primary mode of transmission of COVID. Red Sox also put up this:

Yeah, I get it, they're in the bubble with each other - they're essentially in the same "household". But can we just not go around touching random surfaces unnecessarily?

The NHL has yet to issue guidelines for media - TV/Radio/Print

NBC is not thrilled with calling games from Connecticut and neither are the local RSN's in the US and all the local radio outlets.

Isolating announcers in a venue far away from the players can be done easily but

aguineapig

The NHL has yet to issue guidelines for media - TV/Radio/Print

NBC is not thrilled with calling games from Connecticut and neither are the local RSN's in the US and all the local radio outlets.

Isolating announcers in a venue far away from the players can be done easily but
As was the case with twenty four/ seven, and At the End of the Day, today's catch phrase seems to be "from the Basement" and I just assume have you work the games from there so as to keep you safe. May the force be with You.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Should these logistics not have been worked out before the venues were chosen? Like, should these provisions not have been factored into the decision-making?

They were worked out with the Provinces, this is the Canadian government stepping in.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
All of this makes me nervous. I don't think the chances are good that this is going to work out. There absolutely should be a 14 day quarantine for everyone in the tournament, professional athletes and their staff, etc., should not be exempted. Canada has worked hard to get the situation under control - this is a large group coming in all at once. No thanks....quarantine or stay home.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
All of this makes me nervous. I don't think the chances are good that this is going to work out. There absolutely should be a 14 day quarantine for everyone in the tournament, professional athletes and their staff, etc., should not be exempted. Canada has worked hard to get the situation under control - this is a large group coming in all at once. No thanks....quarantine or stay home.
Chances are extremely good it will work out. Puck drops August 1st.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
They were worked out with the Provinces, this is the Canadian government stepping in.

Which is kinda dumb considering airports are a federal jurisdiction. I ain't no doctor but wouldn't testing them as they arrive mitigate the chances of spreading the virus. The 14 day quarantine would seem unnecessary .

Maybe a three day quarantine, test them daily, if they are negative for three different tests chances are good they are good to go. This seems more like government posturing to me. Perhaps our PM needs a distraction giving his recent scandal.

Canada seems to have managed to get this thing under control and I would hate for that to change, however I think this can be worked out without all this drama. All you have to do is account for everyone arriving, know the status of their health and act accordingly, it's not like these guys are gonna sneak into the country.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Hmmmmm...

We had this too - the Bruins sent this out:

TEAM SPECIFIC VIDEOS THAT WE’D LIKE FOR YOU TO RECORD
  • 30 seconds of you chanting AND clapping “Let’s Go Bruins!”
  • 30 seconds of you just chanting “Let’s Go Bruins!”
  • Video of you saying “WOOOOOO!”
  • Video of you saying “TUUUUUUUUKKKKKKK”
  • 30 seconds of how you’d dance to Shipping Up to Boston (please refrain from singing the song & playing it in the background)

GENERIC VIDEOS/REACTIONS THAT WE’D LIKE FOR YOU TO RECORD
  • 30 seconds of reacting to a goal being scored
    • For this, for the first three seconds, you should pretend that you are anticipating the goal, and then explode into your celebration
  • 30 seconds of you chanting “We Want the Cup!” - Example of the chant is located here.
  • 30 seconds of you Booing/reacting to a bad call on the ice (no bad words/hand gestures please!)
For that last one, we should have lots of "sense memory", as the actors would say.

Reactions: sooshii

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I was trying to remember who it was who had Type 1 diabetes. Smart move. Domi even has an alert dog that can sniff out the blood sugar in his saliva so that the dog can wake him up at night if it gets too low.

Canadiens impressed with how Max Domi handles his Type 1 diabetes | Montreal Gazette

As with a lot of diseases, there's a range for Type 1 diabetes, and it sounds like Max's case is one of the higher maintenance cases - some probably just because he's hit harder by the disease, and some from the added physical and biological stress of playing in the NHL.

I'd 100% understand if he doesn't play. I know the team, and even the whole NHL, can be like a family, but it's a LOT to entrust your health, and possibly your career and even your life, to a thousand or so people in the bubble - any one of whom can put you at risk.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

• 30 seconds of how you’d dance to Shipping Up to Boston (please refrain from singing the song & playing it in the background)

• For this, for the first three seconds, you should pretend that you are anticipating the goal, and then explode into your celebration
  • 30 seconds of you chanting “We Want the Cup!” - Example of the chant is located here.
  • 30 seconds of you Booing/reacting to a bad call on the ice (no bad words/hand gestures please!)
For that last one, we should have lots of "sense memory", as the actors would say.
And I thought the NHL Awards show was cringey... This might take the cake :laugh:o_O

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

It's missing "SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT"
and
"SHOOT THE F-ING PUCK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->