NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think the western bubble will have to be out west. If it's in the east you would have games at 10 pm local time and that would be hard on the body.

I'm guessing Vancouver.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think the western bubble will have to be out west. If it's in the east you would have games at 10 pm local time and that would be hard on the body.

I'm guessing Vancouver.

No home team can be in a bubble so we are guessing the West will be in Toronto if Canada allows it

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
No home team can be in a bubble so we are guessing the West will be in Toronto if Canada allows it

Have they codified this? How would they do this in terms of getting, say, Vancouver to play at a time when folks in Vancouver are...well, normally, I'd say "home", but let's say "available to watch"? If they're used to hockey starting at 10 PM EST, that will make for some very late night hockey for the players. If they start Toronto/Pittsburgh/wherever games at 8 PM EST, that might be a little early for the West Coast, although I guess they're used to that for away games.

I guess the Vegas games will be played early - 4 PM Vegas time, 7 PM here. But the other way seems like it would be more difficult for the players.

I get that the NHL doesn't want teams to play at home, but practicality may have to take over, particularly with respect to the US/Canada border, and the fact that there are no WC cities where the entire WC could play.

EDIT: Just noticed that there's been some headway in bringing hockey back to Canada, so Toronto, Edmonton, and Vancouver are still possibilities. Given that we've been waiting for the official announcement, I think they definitely want Toronto to get in on the action.

Last edited:

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
That is.... quite the setup! :eek:

I have lots of "smart home" stuff set up in my house including smart lights like those in that video. I did a similar set up so that when the Bruins score the lights in my living room would flash red. It worked perfectly except that because I'm watching the games through the NHL app opposed to a live TV feed I am about 2-3 minutes behind the live feed whereas the lights were bang on time! First game I watched after setting it up the living room started flashing red but there was no goal... until about 2 minutes later when Marchy scored :laugh:
Kinda ruined the games knowing a full two minutes in advance that they were gonna score so I disconnected it again lol.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Have they codified this? How would they do this in terms of getting, say, Vancouver to play at a time when folks in Vancouver are...well, normally, I'd say "home", but let's say "available to watch"? If they're used to hockey starting at 10 PM EST, that will make for some very late night hockey for the players. If they start Toronto/Pittsburgh/wherever games at 8 PM EST, that might be a little early for the West Coast, although I guess they're used to that for away games.

I guess the Vegas games will be played early - 4 PM Vegas time, 7 PM here. But the other way seems like it would be more difficult for the players.

I get that the NHL doesn't want teams to play at home, but practicality may have to take over, particularly with respect to the US/Canada border, and the fact that there are no WC cities where the entire WC could play.

EDIT: Just noticed that there's been some headway in bringing hockey back to Canada, so Toronto, Edmonton, and Vancouver are still possibilities. Given that we've been waiting for the official announcement, I think they definitely want Toronto to get in on the action.

The NHL wants a pod in Canada and Toronto would be their preference. If Ottawa balks the backup location for the West would be Staples Center in LA

The NHL is now working on a protcol that for a teams 'home' game the local DJ, organist and PA announcer would be piped in by fiber to the pod location to make it sound like a home game. This would even include the anthem singer.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
The NHL is now working on a protcol that for a teams 'home' game the local DJ, organist and PA announcer would be piped in by fiber to the pod location to make it sound like a home game. This would even include the anthem singer.

This whole thing is going to be so weird. I'm not complaining, but man...what a strange time this is.

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia
Last night the Canadian government have waived the need for 14 day quarantine for NHL cities wanting to be a Hub for the Playoffs. Good news for Toronto or Edmonton, as BC Health Minister (Vancouver) says BC will not waive...that likely rules Vancouver out as a potential Hub..

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Cases are jumping in Nevada. The NHL might want to have a rethink there. The issue is indoor air-conditioned places. That's where it's being passed on and that's why it's jumping in the south where it's too hot to be outdoors. The NHL should consider doing Edmonton/Vancouver as the two cities. The weather is good there but not so hot that people need to spend all their time under an air conditioner.

Reactions: Strafer

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Well, I guess it's not unexpected when you have 24 groups of 20+ players and associated staff coming back together...

Um...has anyone seen any RECENT (past day or two) pictures from Warrior? The Bruins have (at least) one case, but Warrior still seems to be open.

As far as air conditioning - correct me if I'm wrong, but even in Edmonton and Vancouver, you still need to run some air conditioning for indoor ice. Maybe you don't need it for comfortable locker rooms like you would in Arizona or Nevada, but you still can't just let nature take care of the temperature with only very little assistiance, like you might in Vancouver during the winter.

That said, my impression is that Edmonton's spike isn't as big as those in large cities/states/provinces. Edmonton has about 1 in 576 people who have had COVID, while Nevada is about twice as concentrated, at 1 in 247. (Per a COVID dashboard site, googling population, and doing division.) Combine that with Edmonton being less dense in general, and you probably have a better environment.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Well, I guess it's not unexpected when you have 24 groups of 20+ players and associated staff coming back together...

Um...has anyone seen any RECENT (past day or two) pictures from Warrior? The Bruins have (at least) one case, but Warrior still seems to be open.

As far as air conditioning - correct me if I'm wrong, but even in Edmonton and Vancouver, you still need to run some air conditioning for indoor ice. Maybe you don't need it for comfortable locker rooms like you would in Arizona or Nevada, but you still can't just let nature take care of the temperature with only very little assistiance, like you might in Vancouver during the winter.

That said, my impression is that Edmonton's spike isn't as big as those in large cities/states/provinces. Edmonton has about 1 in 576 people who have had COVID, while Nevada is about twice as concentrated, at 1 in 247. (Per a COVID dashboard site, googling population, and doing division.) Combine that with Edmonton being less dense in general, and you probably have a better environment.

It's Tampa. Because Florida has been pretending Covid doesnt exist for months now.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
At this point, as much as I would LOVE to watch hockey games again..... Just shut it down. Call the Bruins the season champions (not Stanley Cup champions) and be done.

All this craziness is not worth the end result at this point.

:(

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
It's Tampa. Because Florida has been pretending Covid doesnt exist for months now.

LOL, easy there.....Just because some people aren't still locking themselves in their basement with cases of toilet paper and hand sanitizer, doesn't mean they are pretending the virus doesn't exist.

The family and I spent a glorious week down at our place in Miramar Beach 2 weeks ago....and we drove. We wore our masks in public, washed our hands, kept our distances (as did the people around us) and ordered our restaurant meals to go. I even got in a much needed round of golf (mask free) with some really nice people from Tennessee (we each had our own cart).

We had a great week of sun, sand and family time outside. Rented a pontoon, and jet ski, paddle boarded, the whole shebang....Again, we were smart about it and we kept ourselves safe.

Each of you should do what you feel comfortable doing for yourselves and your family, but for me and my family, we'd do it again tomorrow if we could.

That said, to not deviate too far from this thread.......lets just ditch the whole NHL season and go do summer stuff. We are going on 5 months off now and I can wait til October to start over from scratch...

Last edited:

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
LOL, easy there.....Just because some people aren't still locking themselves in their basement with cases of toilet paper and hand sanitizer, doesn't mean they are pretending the virus doesn't exist.

The family and I spent a glorious week down at our place in Miramar Beach 2 weeks ago....and we drove. We wore our masks in public, washed our hands, kept our distances (as did the people around us) and ordered our restaurant meals to go. I even got in a much needed round of golf (mask free) with some really nice people from Tennessee (we each had our own cart).

We had a great week of sun, sand and family time outside. Rented a pontoon, and jet ski, paddle boarded, the whole shebang....Again, we were smart about it and we kept ourselves safe.

Each of you should do what you feel comfortable doing for yourselves and your family, but for me and my family, we'd do it again tomorrow if we could.

You were smart about it. A lot of people aren't being. A girl i went to high school with went down there a few weeks ago and was going out to restaurants and bars, posting pictures online, no masks in site. There's a reason why bars and restaurants down there are having to close because there staffs are getting infected with it and the number of daily cases is skyrocketing.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
We're deviating from the thread topic and that wasn't my intention....we can continue this elsewhere.

I still wouldn't mind it if the NHL season gets canned, but not because I think people shouldn't leave their houses...

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
IMG_20200619_151539.jpg

:laugh:

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
We're deviating from the thread topic and that wasn't my intention....we can continue this elsewhere.

I still wouldn't mind it if the NHL season gets canned, but not because I think people shouldn't leave their houses...

I never mentioned people not leaving their houses, Just need to be smart about it. Where a mask, avoid crowds, wash your hands. There's no reason for people to lock themselves at home. It's also very unhealthy to stay inside your home all day.

But I'm also leaning towards this season restart not going to work. We are still in the thick of this thing.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

That said, to not deviate too far from this thread.......lets just ditch the whole NHL season and go do summer stuff. We are going on 5 months off now and I can wait til October to start over from scratch...

I think the reason some people might want to consider being more open to finishing off this season is that I'd bet there are decent odds that we don't get a next season. It's one thing to run a tournament in a single location. You can't do that for a full season, and I have trouble believing that we're going to be able to return to a travel schedule if significant medical breakthroughs aren't made.

I still have trouble believing they can pull it off, but I'm perfectly fine with the idea of finishing the season. My summer vacation in North Carolina is most likely cancelled, so it's not like I have anything else to do than hang around. I would love to have sports back, assuming they can manage it safely, which I doubt that they can, but they'll certainly try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad