NHL Around the NHL XX - NHL looking at playoffs starting on July 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
The Bruins and Hawks played a shortened season that rolled right into a full playoff run. They didn't take a 3 month intermission in between the two.

Comparing the two is nonsense.
not comparing. just saying nobody mentions any asterisk for chi that year.
and it was only a 40 game season.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don’t believe you feel that way . Well , maybe you do but once we get an official announcement that hockey will be returning I think everyone on this board will get excited again . What’s frustrating everyone is that we are in limbo with no plan in sight . Once we get a plan , I think everyone will get on board .
I'm with you. I'm not good at predicting things, but what I do know is that these pages will be packed with fans. Celebrating or complaining or both. Regardless, I don't for a second believe the interest won't be intense.

If it were safe and not overly restrictive, I'd very happily consume a shitty old Olive Garden meal if it meant going out and being able to sit and have a meal with friends. If I would subject my stomach to that, you can bet your ass I'll watch a playoff series with no fans and 24 teams as long as Boston is one of them. Old Number 8 is craving a respite from the past many weeks.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If a low seed wins the cup there'll be an asterisk. If one of the top seeds, like the presidents trophy winning bruins, wins the cup I don't see how there can be an asterisk

I get where you’re trying to go with that but honestly, thats bullshit

Should the 2012 Kings have an asterisk?

That mentality is very elitist, kinda reminds me of something a habs fan would say.

I know that’s brutal but I had to be honest with a fellow bruins fan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

That mentality is very elitist, kinda reminds me of something a habs fan would say.

Yes, because Mike Knuble committed goalie interference.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm typically a "glass half full" person, and feel that should the B's not win the Cup, they have a legit reason due to the quarantine. So it saves a bit of the heartache should they falter. I certainly don't want to relive Game 7 from last year.

Secondly, if the players are staying reasonably in shape, the rest also provides recovery, especially to an aging core. The nagging injuries masked as upper body and lower body may be completely healed. How many times have we longed for a healthy team going into the playoffs?

Thirdly, muscle memory is commonplace for athletes. The B's didn't miss a step from the end of last season to the start of this one.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Was just on a ZOOM call with NBC and the NHL is now considering NOT doing hubs for the playoffs but allowing teams to use their own arenas BUT with isolation. In the case of Boston teams would stay at hotels near Hanscom Field. NHL game staff would stay at a hotel at TD Garden.

The NHL seems to be leaning toward a 24 team playoff with the Top 12 in each conference advancing. The Top 4 teams would play a first round 2 of 3 for seeding ( 1-4, 2-3) and the other teams would then play 2 of 3 with 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9

Then everything would be best of 7 the rest of the way.

So

We could see a first round with Philadelphia but no elimination and Tampa would play Washington.

5 Pittsburgh vs 12 Montreal
6 Carolina vs 11 Florida
7 Toronto vs 10 NY Rangers
8 Columbus vs 9 NY Islanders

So in theory, if Boston beat Philly and Carey Price gets hot :help:

Target date to start the season is Canada Day on July 1

This is far from official but this is what NBC has been told to prepare for.

Local RSN's in the US would cover the first 2 rounds in home markets but games would be on a NBC affiliated network elsewhere.

:dunno:
Oh f***. What is a local RSN? If we’re playing Philly I’m going to be blacked out, aren’t I?

oh and thanks Fenway!

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Was just on a ZOOM call with NBC and the NHL is now considering NOT doing hubs for the playoffs but allowing teams to use their own arenas BUT with isolation. In the case of Boston teams would stay at hotels near Hanscom Field. NHL game staff would stay at a hotel at TD Garden.

The NHL seems to be leaning toward a 24 team playoff with the Top 12 in each conference advancing. The Top 4 teams would play a first round 2 of 3 for seeding ( 1-4, 2-3) and the other teams would then play 2 of 3 with 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9

Then everything would be best of 7 the rest of the way.

So

We could see a first round with Philadelphia but no elimination and Tampa would play Washington.

5 Pittsburgh vs 12 Montreal
6 Carolina vs 11 Florida
7 Toronto vs 10 NY Rangers
8 Columbus vs 9 NY Islanders

So in theory, if Boston beat Philly and Carey Price gets hot :help:

Target date to start the season is Canada Day on July 1

This is far from official but this is what NBC has been told to prepare for.

Local RSN's in the US would cover the first 2 rounds in home markets but games would be on a NBC affiliated network elsewhere.

:dunno:
Thanks, as always, for this Fenway!
But just to clarify, the top-4 teams are playing the best-of-three round for seeding only while teams 5-12 are playing a best-of-three elimination round?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So how does it work?

So theoretically Bruins beat Philly in 3, Washington beats Tampa in 3, then the Bruins play Washington in a 3 game series, winner of that is #1 seed, loser is #2? Then Philly and Tampa play and winner is #3 and loser is #4?

Then they reseed after the prelimary round and go 1-8 as they would? No divisional structure to it?

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts

Kings were 8 seed

A 9th seed or 12th seed will have an asterisk
A top seed an asterisk isn't even a consideration

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
I like that better than the previous rumor of having to play Tampa just to see who gets 1 seed

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This afternoon.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh is willing to reopen Fenway Park and TD Garden for Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins games this summer.

That willingness, though, rests upon non-negotiable conditions: no fans in the stands, and the City of Boston must sign off on advanced health and safety protocols that protect not only the athletes but everyone else reporting to the workplace.

“Yes, as long as the players and the teams and the support staff and all the people that are associated with it are safe and feel comfortable,” said Walsh during a Friday morning telephone interview.

“Obviously, their health is important to me as well. Many of them are constituents of mine, and even if they’re not constituents of mine, I obviously want people to be healthy and safe. That’s going to be the biggest challenge that they’re going to have to figure out and meet if they’re going to move forward here.”

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Oh f***. What is a local RSN? If we’re playing Philly I’m going to be blacked out, aren’t I?

oh and thanks Fenway!

Regional Sports Network, for example NESN for the Bruins, MSG Network for the Rangers, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia for the Flyers

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Bummer. I don’t get comcast. Thanks.

Don't worry, the nationals will have a crew there too. NBC does every game, using a combination of NBC, NBC/SN, CNBC, and other stations. NESN just has exclusive rights in New England, so here we only see the NESN feed.

Reactions: sooshii

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
31 Thoughts: How a 24-team NHL playoff structure could work - Sportsnet.ca

The 24-team playoff setup is being discussed, although, as mentioned, there is no guarantee. It would eliminate the controversies around the regular 16-team cutline, and allow the NHL a greater opportunity for regional television inventory. I’m told the magic number for many of these markets in the United States is 70. You want to play that many games on your regional network. It’s more of a challenge for teams like Pittsburgh, which deservedly gets a ton of national games.

There is some pushback on the 24. I’ve heard a few teams are upset that Chicago and Montreal will get in, especially if you’ve got to deal with a rested Carey Price in the opening round. That’s also led to a debate about what format the opening series should be — best two-of-three, or best three-of-five?

The top teams still don’t like the idea of sitting around while everyone below them gets meaningful games. It’s definitely a disadvantage. One idea that’s been thrown around is a set number of “regular-season” games among those teams in their respective hubs, but there’s a worry about “wasting” time during such uncertainty.

Here is an idea for a 24-team setup that can address some of those concerns:

METROPOLITAN HUB: Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Islanders, Columbus

ATLANTIC HUB:
Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Florida, Montreal, Rangers (added as lowest seed from Metropolitan — Bruins are top-ranked in East, and should have that reward in their hub)

CENTRAL HUB:
St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Chicago (Blackhawks stay in Central because Blues are top-ranked in West)

PACIFIC HUB:
Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona, Minnesota

The first round “becomes” a five-game round robin — with a handicap by standings at arrival of the pause. Based on points percentage, the seeds could be given from 10 points (first) to 0 (sixth) at the start. If you think that’s too much, maybe go from five points to zero. That way, every team that comes back gets a minimum of five games.

Top four move on to the next round, and decide if we’re dealing with best-of-five or best-of-seven from then on.
It’s different and it’s unique. Is it any good?

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I don't like it. We see how some teams do well at the beginning of a season and then fall into where they should be by the end. This just plain sucks. The Habs should not get a sniff.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't like it. We see how some teams do well at the beginning of a season and then fall into where they should be by the end. This just plain sucks. The Habs should not get a sniff.

They shouldn't, but a team with a flaky roster like the Habs' is still going to have to prevail through consecutive multi-game series against some of the best teams in the league to get to the deep end. I can't see them doing that. If they somehow manage it then I'll tip my hat to them - for sure it would be somewhat fortuitous but you still can't fluke multiple best-of 7's. Or say the unthinkable happened and it somehow panned out that they meet the Bruins in an early round and knock them out. I'd be incredibly annoyed, but it would mostly be with Boston - there's no way this Bs squad should lose to the Habs over multiple games, no matter what the circumstances.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
however they do it. the top teams in each conference should get a first round bye.
then play the winner of the 2 lowest seeded teams.
is that possible with the amount of teams??
personally. i think it should just be top 5 in each conference. top seed gets a bye. plays winner of 4 and 5 seed. then winner of that plays 2 and 3 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad