NHL Around the NHL XX - NHL looking at playoffs starting on July 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So let me get this straight.

This Bruins team that is 18 games over 500, could potentially meet a Leafs team that is 2 games over 500 in the 1st playoff series, meanwhile, we could easily see a a Philly team that is 13 games over 500 meet a Habs team that is 9 games BELOW 500. Because of some strange desire for "bracketing"?

Huh?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
So let me get this straight.

This Bruins team that is 18 games over 500, could potentially meet a Leafs team that is 2 games over 500 in the 1st playoff series, meanwhile, we could easily see a a Philly team that is 13 games over 500 meet a Habs team that is 9 games BELOW 500. Because of some strange desire for "bracketing"?

Huh?
to be honest. I dont even care at this point. I just want to watch something.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
The entire playoff rules prior to Co Vid are a joke.
They should go back to an 8 team playoff, in the Conference 1vs 8, 2vs 7 etc.
The seedings should be based on total points only.

If you you want a quick/short playoff this year, then this is my idea.
Top 8 are seeded, 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 etc.
The playoffs are a double loss format, so if you loose the first game you go to the losers bracket and play another loser after game one, 2 loses and you are out.
When there are two teams left, they play a 7 game series, winner goes to the Cup finals.
This way the playoffs can be completed in 30 days or less.

Reactions: Salem13

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
to be honest. I dont even care at this point. I just want to watch something.

While I don't feel the same way (bring it back or don't, doesn't matter to me at this point), I can appreciate folks who desperately want to see the league resume it's season, if for no other reason than like you said, give you something to watch and be entertained by.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup - Sportsnet.ca

so in other words, bruins would play winner of toronto vs columbus.
the league just really loves leafs vs bruins and toronto fan agony.

The shitty thing about this though, is that the Leafs being one of the younger teams are best suited to start back up after a long layoff, and have the benefit of ramping up to face the Bruins should they win. I honestly feel like the teams that are getting the byes are getting screwed a bit in this set up.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The teams that should benefit are the ones that busted their butts all season to be at the top of the standings, not marginal teams who "may" have made the playoffs if the regular season played it as scheduled.

:skeptic:

Reactions: icyblue and lopey

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I just find it ridiculous to attempt to squeeze in a playoff, especially over the height of summer, notwithstanding the massive logistical arrangements needed to ensure the safety of everyone involved. And, yes, these players are human, not lab rats or things simply for our viewing enjoyment. I wish that the NHL would cancel the 2019-2020 season and work towards the next one, whenever that will commence.
Its all about money my friend

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The shitty thing about this though, is that the Leafs being one of the younger teams are best suited to start back up after a long layoff, and have the benefit of ramping up to face the Bruins should they win. I honestly feel like the teams that are getting the byes are getting screwed a bit in this set up.

it's a fair point, and i don't disagree. but at the same time, toronto could get bounced by
columbus in a short series, so having a bye is certainly an advantage in that respect.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I like the Bruins chances of making the final 4 . Anything can happen ( and it usually does ) but they can and should beat any of : Toronto, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Montreal or Philadelphia . Then they likely meet either Tampa or Washington and things get tougher .

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Bruins doesn't get any advantage at all for being the best team in regular season in 2019-20. Quite the opposite I think. The bye's won't be such an advantage as they all (players) need games to get in shape.

Like you guys say... I think the benefits will be for those young players who are really good on the blades.
Quick and fast players not heavy big players who should take longer getting in form.

For the Bruins I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Matt Grzelcyk, Connor Clifton, Anders Bjork, Ondrej Kase and why not Jack Studnicka will excel while Zdeno Chara, David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, Charlie Coyle and Nick Ritchie could have problems after such a long layoff.
Injuries will almost certainly play a big role but it always does. I'm not sure it will be the same lineup we're used to. I could be way off but it will be interesting with so many new scenarios

Do the Bruins have the balls to sit veteran players if they don't play up to par due to such a short time getting ready. I think this is really rolling the dice in a playoff. But it's probably the best we're offered if we want some hockey

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
it's a fair point, and i don't disagree. but at the same time, toronto could get bounced by
columbus in a short series, so having a bye is certainly an advantage in that respect.
Bottom line is this. Every team's fan base, other than the ones who win, are going to claim they got screwed in some fashion or another.

Get over it, and just enjoy the tournament (if it ever happens). Bracket or No Bracket, Seeding or No Seeding, Bye or No Bye, it doesn't matter and you aren't going to make everyone happy anyway.

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Here's my take: Whatever playoff format is played, presumably the Board of Governors, and by extension the majority of all 31 teams, will have agreed to it. Therefore, there's no asterisk*.

Do we asterisk the 2012-13 Blackhawks because they played only 71 games total, regular plus post-season? That's 11 fewer games than would be played in a regular season. If hockey is a marathon, the Hawks perhaps ran a half-marathon - an impressive feat, but you could legitimately say it's not the same as playing a full 100+ games that a typical Stanley Cup Champian (sic) team plays.

But no, we don't asterisk it, because in January 2013, the Board of Governors made the rules for the shortened season, set up the regular season game matrix, and pressed start. Those are the new rules, and everyone agreed on it. They're making the best of a really, really crappy situation this year.

That said, I don't want the games to take place if it puts any players or staff (particularly low-wage staff who may feel pressured to work) at any undue risk. That includes making sure players - particularly those from Europe - are appropriately quarantined, which might be a logistical nightmare. I also hear Edmonton is in the running to be a hub, which would make it interesting, given that the US-Canada border is closed to non-essential travel, which IIRC Trudeau has explicitly said includes no hockey travel at this time.

The 24-team solution is probably the fairest solution out there given how the standings lie. It would be great if you had 16 clear-cut teams that are in, and 15 that were out, but we don't have anything near that. If you go East/West 1-8, you'd have a tough time arguing which two of TOR/CBJ (80PT/68GP) or NYI (68/80) gets in. And a literal tie in the West between NSH and VAN. Yes, there are tiebreakers, but with possibly unequal level of difficulty games left to be played, you really should expand it to any team that has a reasonable chance to get in, AND keep it a practical number to make it an "even" match.

Letting 12 teams from each division makes sense, as no sub-70 team has a legit claim that they would have broken into the playoffs in a normal season. If you look at the wild card race, there's no way to predict who'd make it. So you may as well let the teams that have a chance in.

*If the Habs win, there will ALWAYS be an asterisk, because they're slimy and they can only win by cheating.

Reactions: jgatie and sooshii

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The 24-team solution is probably the fairest solution out there given how the standings lie.

I'm still confused as to why 24 teams is the fairest solution.

Because 30 of 31 teams were mathematically in contention when the league suspended play.

I remember that 2014-15 season when an upstart Ottawa team with a red-hot Andrew Hammond went on a 13-2-2- run from same time as the league suspended play this season (March 12) to qualify on the final day. So it's not like the league can sit there and say one of the teams ranked 25-30 can't pull it off, it's been done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad