Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So you won't watch if it's on?
Hell, I don't know. Depends on what my options are.

I do know that if they do decide to run a playoff format, whoever ends up winning is going to have a big fat asterisk next to their name and I wouldn't consider it to be a legitimate cup run.......But that's just my opinion.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Meh. I think I've more or less checked out of this season. (COVID-19 certainly has an effect on putting things into perspective.) I'd rather see the NHL just cancel it and work towards the 2020-21 season, whenever that will start. I mean, hockey during the height of summer? (This is to say nothing of the immense logistics and safety precautions involved, the still-closed border between Canada and the U.S.A and whatever shape the players will be in.)

ditto.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Meh. I think I've more or less checked out of this season. (COVID-19 certainly has an effect on putting things into perspective.) I'd rather see the NHL just cancel it and work towards the 2020-21 season, whenever that will start. I mean, hockey during the height of summer? (This is to say nothing of the immense logistics and safety precautions involved, the still-closed border between Canada and the U.S.A and whatever shape the players will be in.)

I am with you! Rip the Band-Aid off and focus on October.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I get the thought of there being an asterisk on the winner of this season.

But I honestly don’t give a ****. This team has an aging core and this could very well be one of the last few shots it has at a cup.

IMO it also only complicates things if they don’t finish. Mainly contract and acquisition wise. It has probably been brought up here a bit (haven’t been on much) but deadline acquisitions made by teams were made for their big push. Luckily the Bs happened to acquired guys with non expiring contracts but that sucks for other teams that “went all in”.

Long story short, I’m here for it- what ever it may be. Let’s get some playoff hockey projected into these eyeballs ASAP please. I need it.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Was just on a ZOOM call with NBC and the NHL is now considering NOT doing hubs for the playoffs but allowing teams to use their own arenas BUT with isolation. In the case of Boston teams would stay at hotels near Hanscom Field. NHL game staff would stay at a hotel at TD Garden.

The NHL seems to be leaning toward a 24 team playoff with the Top 12 in each conference advancing. The Top 4 teams would play a first round 2 of 3 for seeding ( 1-4, 2-3) and the other teams would then play 2 of 3 with 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9

Then everything would be best of 7 the rest of the way.

So

We could see a first round with Philadelphia but no elimination and Tampa would play Washington.

5 Pittsburgh vs 12 Montreal
6 Carolina vs 11 Florida
7 Toronto vs 10 NY Rangers
8 Columbus vs 9 NY Islanders

So in theory, if Boston beat Philly and Carey Price gets hot :help:

Target date to start the season is Canada Day on July 1

This is far from official but this is what NBC has been told to prepare for.

Local RSN's in the US would cover the first 2 rounds in home markets but games would be on a NBC affiliated network elsewhere.

:dunno:

I get the 24 teams concept. If you look at the current standings there are 11 teams in the East that have a legitimate playoff claim, down to Florida, and in the West I would say there are 10, with the Wild sitting at the bottom of that list. But you can’t play 22 teams because you run into odd numbers very quickly. I was wondering if 20 would work, with the top 8 from each conference plus the 2 winners from ‘qualifying’ games amongst the next 4 in each one, but that doesn’t work either as teams like Vancouver and the Islanders have claims that they could have avoided this and made the top 8 if they’d been able to play the same number of games as the teams above them. So it has to be 24. This makes the Habs and Blackhawks in particular very lucky indeed and they really shouldn’t be there, but I see why that is considered preferable to the alternative. Not ideal, but there’s logic to it.

I still can’t see much value in the top teams playing off for seeding. I get that it gives them more practice-time before the elimination stuff starts but I think the risks would outweigh the benefits. If I ran the Bruins I’d strongly be considering sending out a team that is composed of at least 50% Providence players in that scenario. The teams are so close in terms of quality these days that it makes very little difference whether you play the 4th best team or the 8th or whatever. I’d rather every team is given 2 practice games against a geographic neighbor that are played essentially at preseason intensity, then just get straight into the knockout rounds.

I also see no point and an unnecessary hazard in playing the series as home and home. Just let the top-seeded team host all the games. Play every 2 days and each series will be done in 13 days max. That’s not an unreasonable length of time to be away. The biggest advantage of home ice is normally the crowd so with that gone I don’t see it as unfair to just stay in one venue and to reward the higher team in that manner. If a team is good enough they’ll get the job done regardless of where they are – a key component of the Blues’ win last year was they were a fantastic road team right through the playoffs.

Do the playoffs need to happen at all? Probably not. But I can see why the league are desperate to get them done rather than waste a season that was over three-quarters complete, and why the networks would be very keen. You can also make the slightly perverse argument that with the virus pandemic in America having been so bad, the risks and potential impacts arising from playing hockey again are small in that context, although of course Canada may see that differently. It’ll also give people some much-needed enjoyment and diversion, plus employment for a few and reward for players who put their bodies through the wringer for 6 months, but against that is it really wise to be putting so much effort into something that is ultimately frivolous in a time of such crisis, and which could all fall apart if a few positive tests occur? I don’t know.

What I do know is if it happens I will watch it and be glad to have it. I just don’t accept the ‘asterisk’ argument – if you can win 4 consecutive best-of 7 series in the NHL off the back of a 70-game season you’ve earned the Cup, regardless of whether you were a little fortunate to qualify in the first place or that the arenas were empty. And in 10 years no-one will care how the 2020 Cup was won. Does anyone now care that Chicago won in 2013 off the back of only half a regular season? Once it’s in the books it’s legit.

Reactions: PepeBostones

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Here is the thing though.

Would you rather them get into this gimmick playoffs where they don't really have a chance at winning the cup or not make the playoffs and have a chance at winning the first overall pick?

Cause you know damn well that if they did win the first overall, everyone will constantly be hearing about it.

I want them out and to lose spots at the draft leapfrogged by others.

Reactions: caz16

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
What I do know is if it happens I will watch it and be glad to have it. I just don’t accept the ‘asterisk’ argument – if you can win 4 consecutive best-of 7 series in the NHL off the back of a 70-game season you’ve earned the Cup, regardless of whether you were a little fortunate to qualify in the first place or that the arenas were empty.....

But that's just it. Whoever wins DIDN'T win by going through a playoff run on the back of a 70 game season.

What they DID do was play a 70 game season, take a break the equivalent of almost a full off season, and then come back to play some cooked up ridiculous playoff format with maybe 2 weeks to get in shape.

If that's not a gimmick, I don't know what is......and whoever wins will have a hard time convincing me that its legit.

The world isn't going to come to an end if we don't have a Stanley Cup champion crowned in 2020.

Reactions: caz16 and Estlin

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Hell, I don't know. Depends on what my options are.

I do know that if they do decide to run a playoff format, whoever ends up winning is going to have a big fat asterisk next to their name and I wouldn't consider it to be a legitimate cup run.......But that's just my opinion.
like the hawks when they beat us in 2013?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
But that's just it. Whoever wins DIDN'T win by going through a playoff run on the back of a 70 game season.

What they DID do was play a 70 game season, take a break the equivalent of almost a full off season, and then come back to play some cooked up ridiculous playoff format with maybe 2 weeks to get in shape.

If that's not a gimmick, I don't know what is......and whoever wins will have a hard time convincing me that its legit.

The world isn't going to come to an end if we don't have a Stanley Cup champion crowned in 2020.

The need to convince you, me or any other average fan that a win is legitimate is irrelevant. When the players of the winning team are lifting the Cup they aren’t going to care what any of us think. They’ll be content, their ultimate career goal will be achieved and the history books will record them as the champs – that’s all that matters. Fans can argue on boards like this for months but it’s all so much white noise.

Of course the gap between season and playoffs isn’t great but I disagree that it inherently makes either what was or what is possibly to come meaningless. The rosters are the same, so the same group that battled through the regular season will still have to prove their mettle in the playoff format. That in itself doesn’t change. Yes they will be better rested, yes there will possibly be more teams involved. But we still get to find out which squad is best equipped to play playoff hockey, which has developed the strongest, most cohesive group with the most effective tactics, and which is able to sustain success over a number of weeks against different challengers. I’d also argue, as I’ve said before, that it will take a special team to get up to speed again quickly, thrive in empty arenas and weird circumstances and find the mental fortitude to battle right through, even if the physical challenge won’t be quite the same as usual.

Clearly the situation isn't ideal. But these are extraordinary times. They are also long-term, and at present it appears highly unlikely that even next season will take place completely as normal. So the league needs to be creative and willing to compromise and cannot hope for purity, in the sporting sense, if it wants to see this season resolved. The question is can a playoff format be organized and made viable that will crown a fair winner who has truly earned the distinguished title of Stanley Cup Champion? I’m not completely sold on the proposed model but I’m not dead against it either – I’d need to know further details before I made up my mind on it. But as long as the teams agree to it and it’s not completely absurd I’ll be on board in watching it. I’d rather the Bruins get at least a chance at glory even in a compromised setting rather than see a great season go to complete waste.

I do agree on one thing though - the world doesn't NEED a 2020 Cup champion. If the playoffs can't be done safely then they shouldn't be done at all. I'm just open to them being explored and I consider it at least a possibility that they can be done in a manner that confers legitimacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: PepeBostones

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I've been watching replays of the Dallas Stars' '99 Cup run. Two things: first, I'm up to Game 7 of the Conference Finals against Colorado, and it's unbelievable hockey. Belfour and Roy both in HOF form, and both teams finish EVERY check. It's like watching a different sport compared to today. That analytics-built Leafs team of today would be obliterated in one game against either squad, Dallas or Colorado.

It's easy to say you wouldn't watch if the league has playoffs, but this game is in our blood. Whatever format the NHL comes up with, if they can rig Calgary/Edmonton in round one, it would be great for the game.

As for asterisks, Covid-19 has affected everyone. Whoever wins the Cup had nothing to do with it.

Do I believe in asterisks?

Yes, but only when the winning team did egregious things within their control. I've had people tell me the Rockets two NBA titles have asterisks, since they won the two seasons Michael Jordan didn't play. But the Rockets had nothing to do with that.

The Astros' 2017 World Series does have an asterisk in my book. They repeatedly broke rules giving themselves an unfair advantage over their competition. Unlike this pandemic, they weren't just playing the hand they were dealt.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

If a top team wins I don't have an issue with it. If Florida or Arizona etc is squeezed in and wins with 24 teams, then yes it would be a *.

I do hope the Bruins play a lower seed in the artificial first round rather than Tampa so we can see Pastrnak and Marchand in the playoffs. Tampa would absolutely seek to injure with no reason not too.

It should simply be 16 teams as usual however.

The NHL probably expect to grow the sport by returning in a time so many are desperate for sports.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I'm at that point now too. I could care less if they resume this season. It's a write off as far as I'm concerned. Outside of the rare seasons when the Bruins go deep into the final four, I'm checked out of watching hockey by now. If they had shut down for a few weeks than it would of been fine. But we are 10 weeks now and very likely if they do resume it will have been at least a 16 week break or longer.

Reactions: RoccoF14 and Estlin

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I'm at that point now too. I could care less if they resume this season. It's a write off as far as I'm concerned. Outside of the rare seasons when the Bruins go deep into the final four, I'm checked out of watching hockey by now. If they had shut down for a few weeks than it would of been fine. But we are 10 weeks now and very likely if they do resume it will have been at least a 16 week break or longer.
I don’t believe you feel that way . Well , maybe you do but once we get an official announcement that hockey will be returning I think everyone on this board will get excited again . What’s frustrating everyone is that we are in limbo with no plan in sight . Once we get a plan , I think everyone will get on board .

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I don’t believe you feel that way . Well , maybe you do but once we get an official announcement that hockey will be returning I think everyone on this board will get excited again . What’s frustrating everyone is that we are in limbo with no plan in sight . Once we get a plan , I think everyone will get on board .

I get people want to watch hockey. That's fine. The league can create a tournament style format and they can play for some fabricated trophy like the "Orr Cup" or whatever. I'll probably watch it too.

But if we really are going to convince ourselves that its crucial to award a Stanley Cup this year, lets at least be honest with ourselves and call it what it is:

A pre-season tournament to salvage some TV revenue, using a Pee Wee hockey travel-team tournament format.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I get people want to watch hockey. That's fine. The league can create a tournament style format and they can play for some fabricated trophy like the "Orr Cup" or whatever. I'll probably watch it too.

But if we really are going to convince ourselves that its crucial to award a Stanley Cup this year, lets at least be honest with ourselves and call it what it is:

A pre-season tournament to salvage some TV revenue, using a Pee Wee hockey travel-team tournament format.

.....oh and one more thing.

If we do proceed with this abomination, lets make sure we drag it out as much as possible so we can f*** up next season's schedule as well......

That would be fantastic.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't have an issue with the league resuming, and given that I have pretty much nothing else to do, I would imagine that I would watch some of it. But if they cancelled the season outright tomorrow I'm fine with that outcome as well I guess is what I'm saying, really makes no difference to me what direction they take.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Pretty simple - among the 8 teams that sneak in you have big markets in New York, Chicago and Montreal ( which engages francophone TV )
Adding in teams that will boost viewership and increase revenues is a smart move and necessary. Like all businesses, NHL has a deep hole to climb out of. If including the Scabs in the playoffs help it's a tradeoff I have no problem with.

Bottom line is if you give me NHL playoffs including the Bruins I might even take being nice to Guy Carbonneau and Mario Tremblay as the price of admission.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
.....oh and one more thing.

If we do proceed with this abomination, lets make sure we drag it out as much as possible so we can f*** up next season's schedule as well......

That would be fantastic.

Next season could just as easily be interrupted by this virus, makes more sense to finish a season which is 85% done then to worry about next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad