NHL Around the NHL XX - NHL looking at playoffs starting on July 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Bruins still determining what the governor’s announcement means for their operations - The Boston Globe

The Bruins are still determining what Governor Charlie Baker’s reopening announcements on Monday mean for their operations, which have been conducted virtually since the NHL paused March 12.

A team spokesman provided to the Globe a statement from president Cam Neely that did not specify whether the Bruins’ practice facility, Warrior Ice Arena, was open to team employees.

“On behalf of the Bruins, I would like to applaud the efforts of Governor Baker, Lieutenant Governor [Karyn] Polito and all the members of the Reopening Advisory Board for their work over the last two months and specifically for the work that went into the reopening plan that was unveiled this morning,” Neely said.

“We will continue to work closely with them, along with Mayor [Marty] Walsh and the City of Boston, the medical experts and the National Hockey League on next steps for the Bruins, and when we have a plan in place, we will communicate that to our fans.”

Warrior Ice Arena, which opened in 2016, is part of the redevelopment project New Balance undertook on Guest Street in Brighton, at the site now called Boston Landing.

It also seems unclear to New Balance when it can open the rink to the public. In a statement, the company said it was “monitoring the state’s reopening plans to understand when ice arenas will be able to open.”

New Balance headquarters are down the block from Warrior Ice Arena, the Celtics’ Auerbach Center, and a 3,500-seat concert venue and athletic track, which is slated to open next year.

Surely there's no way Warrior can re-open to the public until the Bruins are definitely done for the season, whether that's by knockout or the playoffs simply being abandoned. Team safety first, and then deal with the recreational side.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Well isn't that cute, Mitch Marner wants to be Bergeron when he grows up :sarcasm:

He may play for the Leafs but Marner seems like a decent kid. Quality player and he brings the right attitude to his game. Like all the top Leafs he's grossly overpaid but that's far more on their management than him. If he were more affordable he'd probably be the first guy I'd pick out of their roster to join the Bruins.

Reactions: Estlin

Vinny Farham

Dec 18, 2014
Drummondville
I'm not sure where tu write this... So excuse me if im in the wrong thread.

On wich lines do you guys think Ondrej Kase ans Jake Debruk play next year. How many points will each of them got? Whats their upside ?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

On wich lines do you guys think Ondrej Kase ans Jake Debruk play next year. How many points will each of them got? Whats their upside ?

no idea who they’ll play with but I’d like to see if they can get in the 55 point range.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019

Im being very optimistic and say Kase plays almost a full season and score 15+44=59.

I also think Jake will have a great season, scoring +30 goals.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not thrilled with the bracket set up - I believe the #1 seed should play the lowest remaining seed

The top four seeds (based on points percentage) in the East would be Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia. Top four in the West would be St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas.

They would receive byes through the play-in, but participate in a three-game tournament to get some action. I confess I’m not certain of all the details on if or how it would affect playoff seeding.

The rest of the playoffs would be “bracketed.” That means, in both conferences 5 vs. 12 (winner plays four seed), 6 vs. 11 (winner plays three seed), 7 vs. 10 (winner plays two seed) and 8 vs. 9 (winner plays one seed).

So that would mean an opening round of: Pittsburgh/Montreal; Carolina/Rangers; Islanders/Florida and Toronto/Columbus in the East and Edmonton/Chicago; Nashville/Arizona; Vancouver/Minnesota; Calgary/Winnipeg in the West.

The play-in series would be a best-of-five. The rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
But you are asking for a bye while the other teams are getting a 3 game series to shake the rust off. Nobody is getting eliminated, it is only for seeding. In my humble opinion, I'd rather risk the 1st or second seed and get a three game series to prep for the actual playoffs after sitting on their asses for 3 1/2 months.

got it. Yes if there’s not an elimination element then playing is better.

I was commenting based on one proposal I had read about which said all teams would play 5 games, then the elimination rounds begin and higher seeds would go idle, playing only those tune up games vs other teams who received a bye, until an initial 3 or 5 games series had concluded. There I would rather not play in an elimination round.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
How is it possible, with this 24 team fiasco playoffs and us finally winning the division, that we might still end up playing the Leafs in round 1? Are you f***ing kidding me?

I'm so sick of playing them. Yeah it's fun to beat them every year but it's going to go to game 7 and I just don't want to deal with it again. Much rather play CBJ or the Islanders or Florida or whoever.

member 96824

How is it possible, with this 24 team fiasco playoffs and us finally winning the division, that we might still end up playing the Leafs in round 1? Are you f***ing kidding me?

I'm so sick of playing them. Yeah it's fun to beat them every year but it's going to go to game 7 and I just don't want to deal with it again. Much rather play CBJ or the Islanders or Florida or whoever.

I would recommend reading the article you're upset about. It's entirely possible that we play CBJ and we wouldn't see the Leafs until the 2nd round of the proposed playoffs.

1 seed (us) plays the winner of the 8/9 series
2 seed plays the winner of the 7/10
3 seed plays the winner of 6/11
4 seed plays the winner of 5/12

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If the Bruins can't beat the Leafs, they aren't going anywhere. The upshot of that structure is they could avoid one of Tampa/Washington rather than having to potentially beat both. The lack of re-seeding is stupid though.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I would recommend reading the article you're upset about. It's entirely possible that we play CBJ and we wouldn't see the Leafs until the 2nd round of the proposed playoffs.

1 seed (us) plays the winner of the 8/9 series
2 seed plays the winner of the 7/10
3 seed plays the winner of 6/11
4 seed plays the winner of 5/12

I reread it - thanks. You're right I did misunderstand it. There's been a couple different options proposed so I may have been mixing a few together. CBJ can definitely take Toronto - Jones will feast on their big guns. But they are definitely questionable up front.

The thing that concerns about Toronto this year is their youth. Even though they had a mediocre season I think Marner/Matthews/Nylander will probably have a much easier time coming back from a long break from skating than Chara/Bergeron/Marchand/Krejci will.

The glory of beating Toronto every year is great but the shame in losing to them would be just awful.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
So the Bruins would play 3 games and then watch teams play a best of 5 ? Is that enough game action to get up to speed if there opponent in round 2 has played as much as 8 games ?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I reread it - thanks. You're right I did misunderstand it. There's been a couple different options proposed so I may have been mixing a few together. CBJ can definitely take Toronto - Jones will feast on their big guns. But they are definitely questionable up front.

The thing that concerns about Toronto this year is their youth. Even though they had a mediocre season I think Marner/Matthews/Nylander will probably have a much easier time coming back from a long break from skating than Chara/Bergeron/Marchand/Krejci will.

The glory of beating Toronto every year is great but the shame in losing to them would be just awful.
I do like having the three plus months for Bergeron to rest/rehab a groin held together with duct tape and baling wire.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I do like having the three plus months for Bergeron to rest/rehab a groin held together with duct tape and baling wire.

Yep, but I'm a little concerned about going straight back into regular games without a full pre-season to get into game shape. I'd argue the risk of muscle injury is going to be much higher for everyone once this starts back up....particularly for the older guys.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I didn't realize how many injuries CBJ had. This is a huge win for them because they probably weren't making the playoffs with that lineup and certainly weren't going anywhere with so many guys hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->