NHL Around the NHL XX - NHL looking at playoffs starting on July 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Some food for thought for those who want the NHL to have the playoffs this season/summer:

Premier League reveals six positive coronavirus tests across three clubs

"Focus now turns back to the process of creating medical protocols, with the next task a plan for the safe introduction of contact training. This is likely to prove the most controversial part of Project Restart, with Watford’s Troy Deeney – who has said he will refuse to return to training over safety concerns – having articulated the fears of many players over risks to their health and that of their families.

"The Newcastle left-back Danny Rose has aired similar concerns to Deeney. Newcastle went back to training on Tuesday but Rose was wary to return. 'People are suggesting we should go back to football, like we’re guinea pigs or lab rats,' he told the Lockdown Tactics podcast. 'We’ve going to experiment this phase and see if it works or not.

“'I can just imagine people at home saying: ‘Well, they earn that amount of money, so they should be going back.’ For stuff like that, I think: ‘Is it worth the hassle?’ I could be potentially risking my health for people’s entertainment, and that’s not something I want to be involved in if I’m honest.'”

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Some food for thought for those who want the NHL to have the playoffs this season/summer:

Premier League reveals six positive coronavirus tests across three clubs

"Focus now turns back to the process of creating medical protocols, with the next task a plan for the safe introduction of contact training. This is likely to prove the most controversial part of Project Restart, with Watford’s Troy Deeney – who has said he will refuse to return to training over safety concerns – having articulated the fears of many players over risks to their health and that of their families.

"The Newcastle left-back Danny Rose has aired similar concerns to Deeney. Newcastle went back to training on Tuesday but Rose was wary to return. 'People are suggesting we should go back to football, like we’re guinea pigs or lab rats,' he told the Lockdown Tactics podcast. 'We’ve going to experiment this phase and see if it works or not.

“'I can just imagine people at home saying: ‘Well, they earn that amount of money, so they should be going back.’ For stuff like that, I think: ‘Is it worth the hassle?’ I could be potentially risking my health for people’s entertainment, and that’s not something I want to be involved in if I’m honest.'”

Are Deeney and Rose prepared to wait until a vaccine is found, if so that could potentially be years, if ever. Soccer like most sports cannot survive that long without fans in the stands, most clubs outside of the richest will fold. No one is forcing them to play, it should be up to the individual club whether or not to pay them if they don't play. The fact is they will be in a much safer and more secure environment then the rest of the population who are working in grocery stores, riding public transit, etc. I follow the English Premiere League very closely and there is a ton of politics involved regarding the resumption of play, mostly by teams facing relegation or teams with not a ton to play for, very self serving unlike the Bundesliga.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Are Deeney and Rose prepared to wait until a vaccine is found, if so that could potentially be years, if ever. Soccer like most sports cannot survive that long without fans in the stands, most clubs outside of the richest will fold. No one is forcing them to play, it should be up to the individual club whether or not to pay them if they don't play. The fact is they will be in a much safer and more secure environment then the rest of the population who are working in grocery stores, riding public transit, etc. I follow the English Premiere League very closely and there is a ton of politics involved regarding the resumption of play, mostly by teams facing relegation or teams with not a ton to play for, very self serving unlike the Bundesliga.

I just find it ridiculous to attempt to squeeze in a playoff, especially over the height of summer, notwithstanding the massive logistical arrangements needed to ensure the safety of everyone involved. And, yes, these players are human, not lab rats or things simply for our viewing enjoyment. I wish that the NHL would cancel the 2019-2020 season and work towards the next one, whenever that will commence.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I just find it ridiculous to attempt to squeeze in a playoff, especially over the height of summer, notwithstanding the massive logistical arrangements needed to ensure the safety of everyone involved. And, yes, these players are human, not lab rats or things simply for our viewing enjoyment. I wish that the NHL would cancel the 2019-2020 season and work towards the next one, whenever that will commence.

Its kind of hard to see they will cancel the season when everyone else around here is starting to go back to work.

Reactions: McGarnagle

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The reality is this is a business around a game, not the other way around. If you move forward with a 16 team playoff you're excluding two NYC teams, Montreal, Vancouver, and Chicago just for the sake of "well the regular season had to count for something." It did, HRR.

The NHL is in no position to tell those TV markets to go pound sand just because the way the playoffs are "supposed" to be. In fact, we should be pushing for this more aggressively based on the ratings that NASCAR saw this past Sunday.

Not only did NASCAR see viewership up 38% compared to the previous race in early March, but those viewers also stuck around 22.8% longer than average.

If the NHL can find a way to safely execute a playoff, they should not exclude the #1 and #3 TV markets based on some phony integrity of the regular season. Not in this environment.

Exactly! The whole "integrity of the regular season" went out the window when the decision was made to have "playoffs" after a 3 month hiatus in the first place. <edit> Correction: 4 month hiatus.

If the league is truly going to proceed with this sham, then you should include the NY, Chicago and Montreal TV markets. Hell, include LA while you are at it as well. The whole point is to try to recapture TV revenue. Why WOULDN'T you want to include as many large markets as possible? Its a f***ing joke of an idea anyway, so you might as well maximize the revenue.

Last edited:

member 96824

Exactly! The whole "integrity of the regular season" went out the window when the decision was made to have "playoffs" after a 3 month hiatus in the first place. <edit> Correction: 4 month hiatus.

If the league is truly going to proceed with this sham, then you should include the NY, Chicago and Montreal TV markets. Hell, include LA while you are at it as well. The whole point is to try to recapture TV revenue. Why WOULDN'T you want to include as many large markets as possible? Its a f***ing joke of an idea anyway, so you might as well maximize the revenue.

I looked at LA before I posted, unfortunately for the league both them and Anaheim really really stunk.

I’m in the boat that it’s all not really worth the risks given how little we know about all of this still..but yeah if you’re going to do it, and get the blessing from health officials, then grab as much as you can. Ad budgets for the networks aren’t going to be pretty next year. Grab a bunch of fans right now, maybe hook a few for life.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

I would cancel the 20-21 season before canceling he rest of 19-20.

Finish what was started then squeeze in whatever 20-21 season that you can 2013 style.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I looked at LA before I posted, unfortunately for the league both them and Anaheim really really stunk..

LOL. Yeah, they stunk..........5 months ago. Put them and Jonathan Quick up against any team after a 4 month layoff and who the hell knows what could happen.

It usually takes Tuukka a month to get going once a season starts. Kings-Bruins round 1 would be way closer than most people think.

That's why this whole idea is so ridiculous......But you'd definitely get the ratings and TV revenue.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
LOL. Yeah, they stunk..........5 months ago. Put them and Jonathan Quick up against any team after a 4 month layoff and who the hell knows what could happen.

It usually takes Tuukka a month to get going once a season starts. Kings-Bruins round 1 would be way closer than most people think.

That's why this whole idea is so ridiculous......But you'd definitely get the ratings and TV revenue.

I think whatever they end up doing now to finish out this season is a total crap-shoot. 16+ week layoff throws whatever we thought of team going into the hiatus out the window. Especially in today's league, where you now see teams rise and fall at a much quicker rate from one season to the next. If/when they return in 16+ weeks, it is essentially a "new season" with little relevance to what the league looked like prior to the shutdown in terms of contenders and pretenders.

For example, I look at a team like the Leafs. A young team that doesn't play with much structure, a fresh Freddie Andersen, and I could legit see them going on a run if/when the league does return.

Conversely, an older team like the Bruins, that is built on structure and a solid team game, I think will take longer to get rolling. Yet they won't have the benefit of time to get things in order, and easily could be knocked out early by a one of those teams that wouldn't of qualified if they stuck to a 16 team format.

Look at how wide open the games are in October, I expect the same type of play when they return.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins still determining what the governor’s announcement means for their operations - The Boston Globe

The Bruins are still determining what Governor Charlie Baker’s reopening announcements on Monday mean for their operations, which have been conducted virtually since the NHL paused March 12.

A team spokesman provided to the Globe a statement from president Cam Neely that did not specify whether the Bruins’ practice facility, Warrior Ice Arena, was open to team employees.

“On behalf of the Bruins, I would like to applaud the efforts of Governor Baker, Lieutenant Governor [Karyn] Polito and all the members of the Reopening Advisory Board for their work over the last two months and specifically for the work that went into the reopening plan that was unveiled this morning,” Neely said.

“We will continue to work closely with them, along with Mayor [Marty] Walsh and the City of Boston, the medical experts and the National Hockey League on next steps for the Bruins, and when we have a plan in place, we will communicate that to our fans.”

Warrior Ice Arena, which opened in 2016, is part of the redevelopment project New Balance undertook on Guest Street in Brighton, at the site now called Boston Landing.

It also seems unclear to New Balance when it can open the rink to the public. In a statement, the company said it was “monitoring the state’s reopening plans to understand when ice arenas will be able to open.”

New Balance headquarters are down the block from Warrior Ice Arena, the Celtics’ Auerbach Center, and a 3,500-seat concert venue and athletic track, which is slated to open next year.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
....For example, I look at a team like the Leafs. A young team that doesn't play with much structure, a fresh Freddie Andersen, and I could legit see them going on a run if/when the league does return.

Conversely, an older team like the Bruins, that is built on structure and a solid team game, I think will take longer to get rolling. Yet they won't have the benefit of time to get things in order, and easily could be knocked out early by a one of those teams that wouldn't of qualified if they stuck to a 16 team format.

Look at how wide open the games are in October, I expect the same type of play when they return.
Your Leafs example is spot on. It would actually be kind of funny if they "won the Cup" (quotes and Italics intentional) just to watch people on these boards lose their shit.

The legitimacy of that "Cup" would be debated for hundreds of years.....

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Your Leafs example is spot on. It would actually be kind of funny if they "won the Cup" (quotes and Italics intentional) just to watch people on these boards lose their shit.

I wouldn't debate it. They would be Cup winners per the rules laid down by the governing body.

Then again, it's a moot point. That Leafs team ain't winning shit.

member 96824

I think whatever they end up doing now to finish out this season is a total crap-shoot. 16+ week layoff throws whatever we thought of team going into the hiatus out the window. Especially in today's league, where you now see teams rise and fall at a much quicker rate from one season to the next. If/when they return in 16+ weeks, it is essentially a "new season" with little relevance to what the league looked like prior to the shutdown in terms of contenders and pretenders.

For example, I look at a team like the Leafs. A young team that doesn't play with much structure, a fresh Freddie Andersen, and I could legit see them going on a run if/when the league does return.

Bruins went 9-1-2 in October, those losers in Toronto went 6-5-3 :)

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

I couldn't agree more, that said, if whoring out the product is what it's going to take to allow it to survive long term , then I'm all for it. There would be something missing in a life without NHL hockey.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Let's be honest , there is only one outcome that would be satisfactory on these boards. Everything else is bogus, am I right?

Reactions: Jdavidev

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland

Very good read.

It was a great read, and very disheartening. I fear the day when my now six-year-old son experiences something similar. I don't see it as a question of "if," but one of "when." It won't be tolerated on his team (the organization is outstanding at all levels), but I feel confident someone will target him. And he won't understand. And that will crush him.

Reactions: lopey and Trizz617

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It was a great read, and very disheartening. I fear the day when my now six-year-old son experiences something similar. I don't see it as a question of "if," but one of "when." It won't be tolerated on his team (the organization is outstanding at all levels), but I feel confident someone will target him. And he won't understand. And that will crush him.

Sadly , you are probably right. Not that it should be, but it will be, your job to hold his hand through this. Happily we are weeding out the bad weeds, sadly we are not done yet.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I would cancel the 20-21 season before canceling he rest of 19-20.

Finish what was started then squeeze in whatever 20-21 season that you can 2013 style.
My point of view as well. Regular season is just a long training camp to give a chance for everyone to make some dough. Then only the best almost half of the league get the chance to play in the best hockey tournament in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOKER 192

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Bruins went 9-1-2 in October, those losers in Toronto went 6-5-3 :)

This was my thought too. I acknowledge that the Bruins could potentially take a little longer than some to get up to speed on account of an ageing core, but they were red-hot in October and easily had the best start to the regular season out of everybody. They know their game better than most, and I'd back them to find it again quickly.

If they can't and they bow out early for sure I'll be frustrated, but I'll accept it. Better to have at least a chance at glory, however it comes, than none at all. The time in which we could worry over whether or not the Bs will get a completely fair shot at the Cup, relative to their season performance, has long since passed.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I just heard the 1999 Spurs won the NBA title playing only 66 games due to a strike and the Washington Redskins a SB during a season with strike games

I could name many of each of those teams players but forgot about the reduced season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad