OT: Around the NHL - where coaches are hired to be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seems like it was a coach that was getting verbally abusive in the dressing room while the going got tough? Speculation obviously, but that's what I can feel from that article and how GG is on the bench, a guy that probably leaned into the team too much and the GM decided before it got too ugly, he was done.

In other news, I still don't get the NHL Player Safety's rationale behind not giving Virtanen a game or two for the elbow to Perreault. How or what is necessary now to protect yourself from head shots? The NHL is trending to such a f***ing stupid place now and I knew Parros was a bad decision but the guy is such a f***ing tool.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Golden Knights confirmed that it was a purely performance-based decision.
But apparently, the actual stats and underlying metrics didn't back it up from all the reports I read. The reports were that the team was being hurt by some bad goaltending and some puck luck but that they were not playing so poorly that would result in a coach being fired.

VGK confirmed some bs.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
This is the same reason JR got rid of Johnston mid season and replaced him with Sullivan. Should JR have waited till the later in the season or the end of the season to make the change?

Well if the Pens were 3 points out of the division lead when they fired MJ, I'd say they were pretty stupid. They were playing probably the most boring hockey I've witnessed since Kevin Constantine manned the bench. It was obvious the players were on the verge of mutiny and practically celebrated when MJ was done. The is the opposite of what Vegas players reacted

That being said, the Pens were near the bottom of the NHL when they pulled the plug AND (correct me if I'm wrong) there were no big name unemployed coaches sitting about. The Pens did exactly the same thing as 09 and replaced a bad coach (Therrien) with their AHL coach.

So that's like comparing apples and watermelons - Pens philosophy had successful precedent. Vegas' actions seemed to be out of nowhere; no rumblings that Gallant was on the hot seat at all.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If that's true, then why not wait until later or end of the season? They think Deboers will be scooped up by the next team firing it's coach? Seems far fetched

Why would you wait? If he's your guy and he's available, why not do it right away? It's not like it harms cup chances - quite the opposite - and him getting picked up by another team is at least a possibility, even if far fetched. I don't see any reason to delay and a few to move fast.

In any case, all I know is that Vegas' results aren't those of a team where the GM fires a HC he believes in. I don't know exactly how it works out, but at some point Gallant wasn't a guy they believed in, and to me it makes sense they believed in DeBoer more.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Why would you wait? If he's your guy and he's available, why not do it right away? It's not like it harms cup chances - quite the opposite - and him getting picked up by another team is at least a possibility, even if far fetched. I don't see any reason to delay and a few to move fast.

In any case, all I know is that Vegas' results aren't those of a team where the GM fires a HC he believes in. I don't know exactly how it works out, but at some point Gallant wasn't a guy they believed in, and to me it makes sense they believed in DeBoer more.
Gallant was also a McPhee hire. McCrimmon maybe never wanted him as coach.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Maybe, but I imagine PoHOGM would have still have a voice in it - and McCrimmon was there a few year before Gallant and would have been part of appointing him albeit not the final voice, so it's for me to see him never wanting the guy.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Maybe, but I imagine PoHOGM would have still have a voice in it - and McCrimmon was there a few year before Gallant and would have been part of appointing him albeit not the final voice, so it's for me to see him never wanting the guy.
Can't tell if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Can't tell if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me.

Good.

I think it's far fetched when McPhee and McCrimmon were there then and are still there now, even if the roles have changed a little.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To fire a coach that took your team to the finals in his first year and continued to be a playoff team in the 2nd year and was going through some issues in the 3rd year, with no fault of his own as his goaltending was crap and Subban was still around which the GM should have sorted out (Subban is an absolute shitty goaltender)...seems like a GM firing someone while not being able to fix mistakes and using a straw man excuse.

To me, this is a GM that fired a coach to take the heat off of himself after seeing what has been going around in the league. GG never had "these issues" in Florida or anywhere else.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And for the record, I think coaches in the mold of Bobby Knight should be mocked for being psychotic crybabies who should be working third shift at an Orange Julius.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol at the Canucks pandering to the Asian Market to boost their jersey sales with the Chinese New Year Jerseys. Since I have lived here, the diverse community is the first thing you notice, for as many Asians you see, you see a ton of South Asians, it's a massive market for both communities if you're trying to pander to each. My gf is Viet, they do Lunar New Year and since we've been in Vancouver, it's nice to see how visible it is everywhere when it's that or even when the South Asian Community has the Sikh festival and the Diwali one, but the Canucks don't honor the latter, just the Chinese New Year one, weird.

Gotta rake in those illegal chinese money laundering dollars, I suppose.

And for the record, I think coaches in the mold of Bobby Knight should be mocked for being psychotic crybabies who should be working third shift at an Orange Julius.
Are we assuming he is like that?

Because if that was the case, Torts would have been fired a long time ago around the time the Aliu stuff came up and teams were starting to investigate their own coaches just in case.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the New years jerseys are pretty sweet honestly.
The Avs ones are just beauties.

The Kings ones? Lol, the dumbest shit I have ever seen is Kopitar standing on his skates by a jet, on the tarmac.

But these...just gorgeous.

unnamed-2.jpg

LA's looks like garbage in comparison.

2020-stadium-series-uniforms-avalanche-avs-kings.jpg

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
apparently reddit NHL Streams is being shut down. Bummer. That was my go to site to get good streams.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Kelly McCrimmon didn't go into much detail about the move. However, he does have 10+ years of coaching experience, albeit in junior hockey (Brandon). So perhaps he went with his gut.

Regardless, Gallant should have told Fleury and Subban to make more saves.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
apparently reddit NHL Streams is being shut down. Bummer. That was my go to site to get good streams.

NHL.tv or whatever they call it these days is actually really good now. Lots more content and no lagging/freezing like it used too. Might be worth the money. Should be pretty cheap now with half the season gone.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Is there evidence that he screams and is a tool? Not disputing, but other than looking like an intense dude (so does Sully), I have no evidence to suggest he's a dick.

Yeah, I'm with you. It's all speculation (i.e., bullshit) until we have an actual reason to think it wasn't "hockey related." I understand people why people would think that after Peters and Babcock, but come on...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
NHL.tv or whatever they call it these days is actually really good now. Lots more content and no lagging/freezing like it used too. Might be worth the money. Should be pretty cheap now with half the season gone.

Problem is the blackout for me. I live in Cleveland and for some ass backwards reason, NHL TV blacks out EVERY Pens game for me even though local networks don't carry the Pens. I used to use a VPN with NHL TV and then the VPN I used stopped working and I just gave up. Local broadcast rights is the most antiquated and stupid thing ever. Okay rant over.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Problem is the blackout for me. I live in Cleveland and for some ass backwards reason, NHL TV blacks out EVERY Pens game for me even though local networks don't carry the Pens. I used to use a VPN with NHL TV and then the VPN I used stopped working and I just gave up. Local broadcast rights is the most antiquated and stupid thing ever. Okay rant over.

Yeah blackouts are dumb. I have 1 pens blackout a year living in Vancouver. The ads can be tailored so they are what the local broadcast uses so it shouldn’t really effect them. The NHL should be happy because they get a cut from streaming service and more people watching the game. Get with the times!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is there evidence that he screams and is a tool? Not disputing, but other than looking like an intense dude (so does Sully), I have no evidence to suggest he's a dick.

I have no idea. I just don’t like the dude. :laugh;

But my comments about the Bobby Knight/Michel Therrien style of coaching remains the same. It’s for weak coaches, who desperately want to have an erection again without having to watch YouTube videos of children crying. The middle managers of the the NHL. The Karens of sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad