OT: Around the NHL - where coaches are hired to be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
AV whined about non-calls during his in-game interview. Now Voracek whining about penalties called on the Flyers and missed calls on the Blues and how “frustrating” it was. But Crosby’s the whiner.
Alain Whineault has always been an epic whiner. Literally everywhere he goes, he whines.

It was insanely apparent to me during his Rangers and Canucks tenure, the dude would just whine endlessly about every single call and his players would do the same.

Reactions: FlightlessBird

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Back to Gallant- rumors in Fla were that he was dismissed due to some inappropriate relations with female front office staff plus his record.
Again, I'll highlight those were RUMORS

Considering how LV wasn't that bad this year all things considered, it just makes you wonder...

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Back to Gallant- rumors in Fla were that he was dismissed due to some inappropriate relations with female front office staff plus his record.

Considering how LV wasn't that bad this year all things considered, it just makes you wonder...

After what happened with the coach firing in Dallas this thought had crossed my mind with Gallant. In light of the fallout from the MeToo movement I am sure that the last thing the NHL wants in a similar black eye. I am sure that the league and individual teams may be dealing with any rumors and allegations with heightened sensitivity.

This is not to suggest that this is what has in fact occurred but I could easily surmise something like this playing into any applicable circumstances that arise.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
After what happened with the coach firing in Dallas this thought had crossed my mind with Gallant. In light of the fallout from the MeToo movement I am sure that the last thing the NHL wants in a similar black eye. I am sure that the league and individual teams may be dealing with any rumors and allegations with heightened sensitivity.

This is not to suggest that this is what has in fact occurred but I could easily surmise something like this playing into any applicable circumstances that arise.
They are 4-6 in their last 10. Have lost 4 in a row. 2 of those loses were to Buffalo and LA. They are 3rd in the wild card and 5th in their division all while as of December 31st they were leading their division.

But sure, lets place the blame for him getting fired on some made up suspected rumors of maybe doing some me too drunken bullshit. Some times a firing is performance based, with nothing sinister behind it.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
They are 4-6 in their last 10. Have lost 4 in a row. 2 of those loses were to Buffalo and LA. They are 3rd in the wild card and 5th in their division all while as of December 31st they were leading their division.

But sure, lets place the blame for him getting fired on some made up suspected rumors of maybe doing some me too drunken bull****. Some times a firing is performance based, with nothing sinister behind it.

Let's remove the condescension and recognize that going on a 4 game loss streak being the rationale would cause an absurd amount of coaching turnover if more franchises held that up as a standard.

It is perfectly reasonable to suspect that there is something else that contributed to the firing behind the scenes that we are not privy to. Seeing as how this is not the first time that suspect circumstances have surrounded the surprise firing of Gallant, who has an excellent track record of performance, I think I am okay in posting what I posted.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
VGK isn't even near last in WC

Doubtful it was purely performance based

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The Golden Knights confirmed that it was a purely performance-based decision.

Yea and in certain organizations they give a letter of recommendation after they fired you for performance shortcomings.

So I'm not necessarily going to take what they say at face value nor am I going to say it was absolutely wasn't either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

But sure, lets place the blame for him getting fired on some made up suspected rumors of maybe doing some me too drunken bull****. Some times a firing is performance based, with nothing sinister behind it.
Well the thing is, it's VGK, they're a new franchise and he's led them to 2 straight playoffs and could still do it this year, he's what, 3pts out of a playoff spot and his goaltending has largely been letting him down?

There definitely might be more to his firing for sure, but we will never know as it might never come out or he gets hired quickly again and no one bats an eye at it. His firing is definitely bizarre. He's been a solid coach in both of his stints in the league, in Florida he helped them get back to being a playoff team and had them playing well, a sign of a struggle and they fired him, same with VGK.

Just seems too sudden to me. Something seems off .

Reactions: Tom Hanks

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

What exactly is an -inappropriate relation- considered as anyway? In other words he was getting sexy time and either thats against some policy they had or they didn't like it.

Inappropriate relation sounds like something my mother would say when she didn't approve of the girl I picked up at 2am with quadruple vision.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The issue also is that most players see a change coming if it's a coaching issue and their play, but the VGK players were shocked to see the whole thing happen.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
What exactly is an -inappropriate relation- considered as anyway? In other words he was getting sexy time and either thats against some policy they had or they didn't like it.

Inappropriate relation sounds like something my mother would say when she didn't approve of the girl I picked up at 2am with quadruple vision.

There are SO many things that can be inappropriate relations.

More like:
Inappropriate relation sounds like something my mother boss would say when she they didn't approve of the girl I picked up at 2am with quadruple vision [and then was photographed with wearing only a hockey sweater on my instagram thereby reflecting very poorly on the organization and sport as a whole before I was fired for this gaffe]

Welcome to the real world.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There are SO many things that can be inappropriate relations.

More like:
Inappropriate relation sounds like something my mother boss would say when she they didn't approve of the girl I picked up at 2am with quadruple vision [and then was photographed with wearing only a hockey sweater on my instagram thereby reflecting very poorly on the organization and sport as a whole before I was fired for this gaffe]

Welcome to the real world.
Better than your future mother in law hearing you say stuff like "sit on my face" and then walking out naked to the washroom, drunk out of your mind and not remembering they were staying over for the weekend and then her never looking you in the eye for a few months. She still won't really make eye contact with me and it's been a year.

Not my finest hour, clearly.

GG must have done something really f***ed up.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Given the black eye the NHL received for the Peters thing and immediate call for transparency, I tend to believe Vegas stating the firing was purely performance based. If they lied, it’s likely to bite them in the ass.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I'm no longer speculating on Gallant

I'll take VGK at face value

They of course just changed a coaching staff at the STRANGEST time but whatever

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Golden Knights confirmed that it was a purely performance-based decision.

Never believe something until it is officially denied.

I'm not sure I believe it was something baaaad, but those weren't fireable results.

My actual guess would be the FO thinking DeBoers philosophy was more in line with theirs.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Never believe something until it is officially denied.

I'm not sure I believe it was something baaaad, but those weren't fireable results.

My actual guess would be the FO thinking DeBoers philosophy was more in line with theirs.

If that's true, then why not wait until later or end of the season? They think Deboers will be scooped up by the next team firing it's coach? Seems far fetched

Reactions: EightyOne

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
If that's true, then why not wait until later or end of the season? They think Deboers will be scooped up by the next team firing it's coach? Seems far fetched
By end of season they may not make the playoffs. It's best to get ahead of it and try to turn things around before the bottom falls out and they miss the playoffs entirely.

This is the same reason JR got rid of Johnston mid season and replaced him with Sullivan. Should JR have waited till the later in the season or the end of the season to make the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad