GDT: 4/25/24 - 7:00PM EDT - #1 Florida vs #1 WC Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think we need an actual needle mover. Like a ryan o'Reilly type. Or maybe just a legit 2C to at least balance out our centers. Either that or just commit to Stamkos as a 2C (yes, back to C) and try to find a winger he gels with.
We could have essentially had ROR for Sheary and Jeannot money lmao. Not saying he would have chose us. But JBB fumbling another opportunity and signing more scrubs.

I can't wait to see who the next old, RD we sign next year! Cole to DeHaan to !?!?

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Motte - Glendenging - Ace
Would be a pretty good 3rd line

We're still down 2 top 6 wingers
Hagel - Point - Kuch
??? - Stamkos - ???

...if JBB even signs Stamkos....
That's an awful 3rd line. That's a 4th line. You need +15 goal guys on the 3rd line. They are a solid 4th, but the issue is that Jeannot ends up on the 3rd. He's not a 3rd liner either. We have too many 4th liners playing too far up the lineup.

I'd definitely resign Stamkos.

Also, Coop isn't getting fired. They'll part ways mutually after all he's done here. Longest tenured coach, winning est coach, 2x cup winner, etc. Though, back to back first round exits, I'd definitely say we are approaching a seat that is getting slightly warm. I'm sure he'll feel when it's time and that'll land when Vinik and JBB agree to that.

I think JBB is safe for the same reasons. He does have his work cut out for him though.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think we need an actual needle mover. Like a ryan o'Reilly type. Or maybe just a legit 2C to at least balance out our centers. Either that or just commit to Stamkos as a 2C (yes, back to C) and try to find a winger he gels with.

Imagine if we signed him this offseason instead of extending Jeannot and going after Sheary...

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
We're at 2012(ish) Red Wings stage. Choice is to spin our wheels for 4 years and waste time doing nothing and not rebuilding or go full 2013 Sabres and blow it the f*** up, with the risk of the rebuild taking forever. Vinik's choice

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Cirelli is the only thing of value we can trade. Sheary and Jeannot will be for pennies on the dollar, may even have sweeteners attached.

One of Cernak, Cirelli, Serg, has to go and our defense is already bad enough. We can't keep the core 5 contracts and the next tier of 3 (71, 81, 98) we can't. We need cap. We need depth at the very least. This sub is so in love with keeping all 3 when they are all overpaid

Yeah the Duclair experiment has run its course
None of the 3 have to go. Moving Sheary, Jeannot and Perbix gives them approx 17.5 million.tomsign Stamkos, Duclair or another F in that range, 2 or 3.bottom 6/extra F types, a #7 dman and one actual RD to improve that side. It is more than doable without further weakening the defense or moving a top 6 player. If Stamkos won't work with the team and prices himself out, so be it, but the space is there to make improvements without losing any of Cirelli/Serg/Cernak.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
That's an awful 3rd line. That's a 4th line. You need +15 goal guys on the 3rd line. They are a solid 4th, but the issue is that Jeannot ends up on the 3rd. He's not a 3rd liner either. We have too many 4th liners playing too far up the lineup.

I'd definitely resign Stamkos.

Also, Coop isn't getting fired. They'll part ways mutually after all he's done here. Longest tenured coach, winning est coach, 2x cup winner, etc. Though, back to back first round exits, I'd definitely say we are approaching a seat that is getting slightly warm. I'm sure he'll feel when it's time and that'll land when Vinik and JBB agree to that.

I think JBB is safe for the same reasons. He does have his work cut out for him though.
Sorry, meant 4th line***

We might want them to re-sign Stammer, but does JBB?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
None of the 3 have to go. Moving Sheary, Jeannot and Perbix gives them approx 17.5 million.tomsign Stamkos, Duclair or another F in that range, 2 or 3.bottom 6/extra F types, a #7 dman and one actual RD to improve that side. It is more than doable without further weakening the defense or moving a top 6 player. If Stamkos won't work with the team and prices himself out, so be it, but the space is there to make improvements without losing any of Cirelli/Serg/Cernak.
If they don't sign Stammer I have 0 faith in JBB spending that money accordingly ti improve this team.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We could have essentially had ROR for Sheary and Jeannot money lmao. Not saying he would have chose us. But JBB fumbling another opportunity and signing more scrubs.

I can't wait to see who the next old, RD we sign next year! Cole to DeHaan to !?!?
I dont think any of the fringe signings matter. He cant always hit a homerun.

We just aren't as good anymore because we couldnt afford to keep Yzerman era talent. And that's not because JBB is bad--they won two cups and priced themselves out. We are watching exactly what the cap was designed to do.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Glendening isn't worth keeping if you only want him for faceoffs.
He's more than that. Great veteran player with playoff experience. Everyone mentions how bad we are defensively, but Glendening is one of your few good defensive minded forwards.

Bolts pk was top 5 in the league this year even though Vasy and JJ were not great in goal, and the blueline was less than stellar. A lot of that is being able to roll out Hagel and Cirelli in one unit and Motte and Glendening in another.
We may not have the cap space, at least, I don't think we have anything internally.
He's here on the team because he doesn't put his team in trouble. He's a safe option that works hard. That's good and all, but I think you want guys that can positively impact a game on your 3rd line, not nessisarally guys that aren't going to be a negative. This series is kinda showing that imo.
how much do those things really help though when you have someone who is so useless offensively he makes sure our 4th line is always gonna be complete shit. i’d be fine with him as the 13th forward but playing him every game is just suicide

View attachment 859764
I don't really care about the offense of any 4th liner. Never have. There should be enough guys in the top 9 that can take care of that.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I dont think any of the fringe signings matter. He cant always hit a homerun.

We just aren't as good anymore because we couldnt afford to keep Yzerman era talent. And that's not because JBB is bad--they won two cups and priced themselves out. We are watching exactly what the cap was designed to do.
If you hit it big in the draft later on, you can extend your window. Just really hard to do when you go balls deep all in nearly every year and give up way too many picks. Detroit getting Datsyuk and Zetterberg late was back at a time when only 8-10 of the 25-28 teams in the league scouted Europe well.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If they don't sign Stammer I have 0 faith in JBB spending that money accordingly ti improve this team.
Maybe so, but if Stamkos does walk, they would have plenty of space, provided they get rid of the guys they need to, to add a big name F or Dman, and probabalh one of high quality of each.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you hit it big in the draft later on, you can extend your window. Just really hard to do when you go balls deep all in nearly every year and give up way too many picks. Detroit getting Datsyuk and Zetterberg late was back at a time when only 8-10 of the 25-28 teams in the league scouted Europe well.
We hit big in the draft multiple times around 2011-2016. It created the window and the juggernaut teams.

At a certain point it's just asking too much. If it was easy, every team would create a dynasty.

We still have great top end talent.

Is there a 1C that can be had for Sergachev? I'm thinking if Point is 1a or 1b, we are a better team.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Maybe so, but if Stamkos does walk, they would have plenty of space, provided they get rid of the guys they need to, to add a big name F or Dman, and probabalh one of high quality of each.
There's no big fish on the market this year to go after though. We would be down yet another top 6 forward. At some point filling a team with bottom 6 players gives you four 3rd lines

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Our team defense sucks and getting rid of guys who make < $2M won't help.

Re-sign Stamkos for $6M (hopefully)
Trade Point
Trade Hagel
Trade Perbix
Trade Sheary
Don't re-sign Duclair
Don't re-sign Dumba

• Haha
Reactions: DaBolts

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Our team defense sucks and getting rid of guys who make $2M or less won't help.

Re-sign Stamkos for $6M (hopefully)
Trade Point
Trade Hagel
Trade Perbix
Don't re-sign Duclair
Don't re-sign Dumba
I wouldn't trade Hagel and probably wouldn't trade Point but I appreciate the other stuff

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Just keep pouring money into six players then complain about not being able to have the Cap space to fill the roster with capable support.
Dang but have we really gotten this spoiled by the success of the past that we are still going to live in it rather than looking forward into the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad