Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
He will get that much. Easily. Free agents get paid a lot. Ferly scores goals, crushes people and can skate. That gets you paid.

Ferland has played with elite level linemates the last 2 1/2 seasons and yet he still barely produces at a 40 point clip and goes on long stretches where he does absolutely nothing.

Plus his relative analytical stats are always poor despite, again, playing with elite linemates.

I wouldn't be shocked if he got upwards of $4M as a UFA, but to pay him that kinda money with that kinda term would just be absurd for us

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ferland has played with elite level linemates the last 2 1/2 seasons and yet he still barely produces at a 40 point clip and goes on long stretches where he does absolutely nothing.

Plus his relative analytical stats are always poor despite, again, playing with elite linemates.

I wouldn't be shocked if he got upwards of $4M as a UFA, but to pay him that kinda money with that kinda term would just be absurd for us

Yeah but the key point that people always forget with Ferland is that he produces mostly 5 on 5. Or at least he did with calgary. He’s pretty useless on the PP. but 5 on 5 he’s a possession driver and point producer.

To me, he’s the kind of player you pay 5.75 because he can be the driver on that line, unlike Neal. 20 G 15 A/good possession. Not dominant, but a line that contributes consistently. That’s what he would bring IMO. Him and Dube would be a treat in a few years. Chucky and Ferland would be interesting too. Just my two cents.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d love to have Ferland back, but the fact is Neal’s contract won’t allow us to do so, unless he wants to sign for 2 million per.

I wish we could trade Neal for Ferland, but the budget Canes will never do that without a huge add.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Ferland at $5.75 mil? That's honestly disgusting.

He is a 3rd line player propped up by elite linemates. If he came back to Calgary he would be on our 3rd line, maybe 2nd. Ferland doesn't break 15 goals without Johnny, Mony, Aho or Teravainen. In no world is Ferland a line driver or a possession player, I don't know where you're getting those ideas. For a supposed line driver and possession player, he has a whopping 1 more assist than Neal (Ferland has 4 assists) playing with a PPG player in Aho and a 20+ point guy in Teravainen.

It's fine to love a player, but Ferland is not that good.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Man, the salt on the Oilers board is hilarious. I’m loving it, they just can’t stand us being in a playoff spot and better than them.

They can be salty that’s fine by me but it drives me insane how flawed their arguments are. Like we’re lucky to be coming back when we’re dominating and outchancing opponents but giving up garbage goals because of crap goaltending

Like we’re going to stop scoring but our goaltending is going to stay trash. Only the good things will normalize not the bad. So ridiculous

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
They can be salty that’s fine by me but it drives me insane how flawed their arguments are. Like we’re lucky to be coming back when we’re dominating and outchancing opponents but giving up garbage goals because of crap goaltending

Like we’re going to stop scoring but our goaltending is going to stay trash. Only the good things will normalize not the bad. So ridiculous
100% agreed. Top line will stop scoring, but no mention of secondary scoring picking up, normalized goaltending, more points from TJ and Noah etc.

We’re dominating all major metrics, but they can’t see past their McJesus crushes to see that we’re a good team. Must suck to be constantly delusional and think they’re a good team.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
You know Flames are a good team when Oilers fans focus on mocking everything about Calgary and people living there instead of the team, and then continue how they themselves are the classy people. Just go to their Flames pre-game thread post #3 to see their classiness

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I wanna see a Tkachuk-Backlund-Ferland line

Ferland can retrieve the pucks down low to give Tlachuk more room to work with the puck. Plus having Ferland and Tkachuk on a line would be awesome to see in terms of entertainment value! Has this line ever been created before??

Allows Bennett to see 3rd line with Jankowski and Mangipagne.

I would do James Neal+1st+prospect for Ferland for a 4M contract

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Ferland
Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik
Hathaway-Ryan-Mangipagne

That’s not a pretender lineup that’s for sure!!

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I like Ferland but I don’t want to see him anywhere close to the top 6 or at anything close to $3 million. Chiasson has very similar numbers and I don’t see anyone wanting him back. You take a “B” grade player, with a decent shot, put him with world class players, for lack of a better option and he’ll have decent numbers. Away from those guys and you’re over the moon if they produce 20 points.

If I’m Ferland’s agent, I’m going everything in my power to get the kid moved to the Oilers, for a shot at cashing in, playing with McDavid and Nuge. He is better than Chiasson. With his concussion history and the way he plays, it does not factor into a long career. Oilers already have guys to take care of the rough stuff, so it would take some of those expectations off him. Ferland needs to cash in and lock up some guaranteed money before his time is up.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
But maybe this means we won't have to worry about matching against them in the playoffs!

4hj8zAv.gif

Ducks are 9-2-2 since this idiot made this comment. :shakehead

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
whoops nvm

Attachments

• 2018-12-13 14_38_16-Window.png
    2018-12-13 14_38_16-Window.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Reactions: Janks

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I miss Ferland, but that contract is ridiculous.

I mean.. I agree. But that’s the thing about FA. You have to overpay for them or you don’t get them. Basically that trades and scenario is trying to replace Neal with someone wants to be here and who could actually be an elite third liner..

The first is to get rid of Neal more than anything.

But if you don’t think someone steps up and gives Ferland a big contract, well I think you’re mistaken.

There are thre ways to add skilled payers that will push us over the top:

-the draft- obviously this is the best way to get cost controlled assets.

-trade for young players- costs assets but you can usually sign them to good deals ie Hamilton, Lindholm,

FA- overpay. Ferland is a Free Agent and someone like Philly with lots of space will overpay

Edit: I’m just trying to be realistic. If we add good players then we likely gotta jettison Neal. it’s gonna cost us. There is no easy path forward for Treliving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad