OT: Around the NHL - This is it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Don't disagree with anything you said
Obviously that's why I have a ton of respect for Jackie Robinson and Ali. Could you imagine literally fearing for your life while just trying to play a sport you love?

Some people have that conviction and others don't. So I don't necessarily hold it against athletes who choose not to. Because some just want to play and nothing else.

I couldn't envision people coming up to me and asking what I feel about the Middle East on my way to the office every day and having to take a position on it.
I think for the NHL, they don't want to take away from the game at hand or the sport, so they focus on that, meanwhile every other major pro sports league wants to weigh in on something they don't hold enough facts about to even discuss, which almost always, backfires.

Look at Bron Bron and his comments about China/Hong Kong, same for the Rockets management, etc. MLB and the cheating scandal, NFL and the various crimes a lot of their players commit that no other player speaks out about, it just happens and that player gets cut/released and on to the next guy that might commit something heinous.

NHL, I get Aliu's gripes, like him, I am also bi-racial, (half black, half white) and I have experienced the racism too, but he mentions where the change needs to start, grass roots, he should go after that. The NHL guys right now? They can't, they can't just focus their attention to that, but I guarantee you a lot of people have reached out to support him. I think Aliu would be wise to rally the other ex-nhl'ers that still hold a lot of weight with the sport and start ushering that change. He has a voice right now and a platform, use it. But chastising players that normally don't offer their opinions on everything going on in the world, to suddenly speak out? That would be weird.

Remember when people were crapping on Mario for if Ovy passed him or something stupid like that? Mario is a private guy, it'd be weird for him to say anything at this point vs his usual private lifestyle.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Btw @ZeroPucksGiven I hate what that does to us.

When the Nova Scotia thing happened, my mind automatically went to "I wonder what Sidney Crosby is going to say about this."

Why? Why would I even go there or expect that from a guy that has no social media and is a private guy as well? I should never expect to hear from him about that and if he does anything to help them (he did), it should be in his own normal way, privately.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

When the Nova Scotia thing happened, my mind automatically went to "I wonder what Sidney Crosby is going to say about this."

Why? Why would I even go there or expect that from a guy that has no social media and is a private guy as well? I should never expect to hear from him about that and if he does anything to help them (he did), it should be in his own normal way, privately.

Refresh my memory on the NS thing?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Sid should have his picture in the dictionary next to the word Milquetoast haha

I don't know what he said (if anything) but my guess it was something like "our thoughts and prayers with the victims- what a horrible tragedy"

But yea he probably sent flowers or something on the down low for the victims

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just can't see the NHL or sports coming back any time soon. Not the contact team sports at least.

I'd be amazed if they even play a full 2020-2021 season.

Only reason I can see the NHL pushing hard to come back is because of that coveted two weeks of scrapped nbc olympic coverage that will have the potential to net a massive viewer base.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eichel sure seems mad that his team couldn't even make the cut in a garbo 24 team tournament. Not that I can blame him.

Wonder if Buffalo shuffles him off to St. Louis for some plugs and a first so he can go win a bunch of hardware there?

Seriously just move that team to Quebec, already. You knew they weren't serious when they claimed a turnaround was incoming then promptly hired Dan Bylsma.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yes, the Leafs are better off with Andersen instead of Murray.

I understand why Leaf fans - or any fanbase - don't think highly of Murray. However, Andersen isn't without his struggles. There's a reason every backup goalie on the planet is linked to Toronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think they devalue everyone so that they can get them for a song.

It's like trading your car into a dealer. They offer you jack, then turn around and list it on the lot for 7k more lol

"I guess we'll give you a third for Murray or whatever..but you'll need to add a sweetener"

Next thing you know he's on every billboard in the GTA, lol

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, the Leafs are better off with Andersen instead of Murray.

I understand why Leaf fans - or any fanbase - don't think highly of Murray. However, Andersen isn't without his struggles. There's a reason every backup goalie on the planet is linked to Toronto.

We should send them Murray and break Hyman free from the Leafs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Sabres were just absolutely terrible when he got there and ROR basically forced his way out of town and the ownership didn’t want to pay his bonus.
Botts focused on fixing the defense and he just sort of half does things. He half commits to it. His goalie situation is mediocre, his defense has some promise but it's mediocre after the first pair, their team is mediocre after the first line.

Botts is a great AGM, not a good GM. A lot are great as support but not meant for the spotlight. Botty Botts is one of them.

Reactions: BHD

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Botts focused on fixing the defense and he just sort of half does things. He half commits to it. His goalie situation is mediocre, his defense has some promise but it's mediocre after the first pair, their team is mediocre after the first line.

Botts is a great AGM, not a good GM. A lot are great as support but not meant for the spotlight. Botty Botts is one of them.

Meh. I disagree. He’s done some good things for that org and people consistently point to Middlestadt and ROR as reasons he sucks. Both of those IMO were not on Botts.

He is slowly building a team and I think Sabres fans expected a quick turn around.

He’s stabilized their D to a degree and added Kahun, MoJo and Skinner as top nine options. If he can pull in a 2C this offseason Sabres could easily be a playoff team next year. I think Tyler Johnson for basically scraps makes a ton of sense.

Olfosson - Eichel - Reinhart
Skinner - TJ - Kahun

Is a solid top six and they will have a ton of cap space this summer to make some moves. Just avoid Holtby. I wonder if Botts would be interested in Murray tbh.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Meh. I disagree. He’s done some good things for that org and people consistently point to Middlestadt and ROR as reasons he sucks. Both of those IMO were not on Botts.

He is slowly building a team and I think Sabres fans expected a quick turn around.

He’s stabilized their D to a degree and added Kahun, MoJo and Skinner as top nine options. If he can pull in a 2C this offseason Sabres could easily be a playoff team next year. I think Tyler Johnson for basically scraps makes a ton of sense.

Olfosson - Eichel - Reinhart
Skinner - TJ - Kahun

Is a solid top six and they will have a ton of cap space this summer to make some moves. Just avoid Holtby. I wonder if Botts would be interested in Murray tbh.
No, that's mediocre.

There are plenty of goalies on the market that he could have made a move for but he still has no real #1, even russian goalies that are coming over and showing elite promise, he still couldn't even get one to come over to his team. He's basically hoping he drafts enough talented 1st round players that make up for his lack of creative maneuvering to add more talent.

The Kahun thing? Literally because Sully likes his midgets he is familiar with to throw with Sid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No, that's mediocre.

There are plenty of goalies on the market that he could have made a move for but he still has no real #1, even russian goalies that are coming over and showing elite promise, he still couldn't even get one to come over to his team. He's basically hoping he drafts enough talented 1st round players that make up for his lack of creative maneuvering to add more talent.

The Kahun thing? Literally because Sully likes his midgets he is familiar with to throw with Sid.

Culture of outrage.

Botts hasn’t been great, but Buff was a mess when he got there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Culture of outrage.

Botts hasn’t been great, but Buff was a mess when he got there.
No one said Buffalo wasn't a mess before Botterill got there, but it's only slightly better and most of it is because his team has been rewarded for being terrible by getting a chance to draft fantastic talent.

That isn't successful by any stretch of the imagination.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No one said Buffalo wasn't a mess before Botterill got there, but it's only slightly better and most of it is because his team has been rewarded for being terrible by getting a chance to draft fantastic talent.

That isn't successful by any stretch of the imagination.

Ever GM isn’t turning a mess into a success. What did Edmonton really do this year besides be patient?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ever GM isn’t turning a mess into a success. What did Edmonton really do this year besides be patient?

Added better bottom 6 depth.
Hired a coach that they knew could work with what they had/have.
Playing a more structured game which goes back to the 2nd point.
Went and got a back-up goalie to mentor the guy they want to keep around as their #1 (sort of handcuffed to that one though, but he's improved this season).

Adding guys like Sheahan, Archibald, Ennis, and even the swap of Lucic for Neal were moves that paid off for them, it added better stability and better options for them, even if you don't agree they are great, what they are replacing is a huge step forward.

I hate the Oilers, but I can admit when they've done things to move in the right direction. You look at the Buffalo Sabres and the team is a mess, it's got zero identity, it's basically Jack Eichel, Dahlin and some wankers for the most part.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Added better bottom 6 depth.
Hired a coach that they knew could work with what they had/have.
Playing a more structured game which goes back to the 2nd point.
Went and got a back-up goalie to mentor the guy they want to keep around as their #1 (sort of handcuffed to that one though, but he's improved this season).

Adding guys like Sheahan, Archibald, Ennis, and even the swap of Lucic for Neal were moves that paid off for them, it added better stability and better options for them, even if you don't agree they are great, what they are replacing is a huge step forward.

I hate the Oilers, but I can admit when they've done things to move in the right direction. You look at the Buffalo Sabres and the team is a mess, it's got zero identity, it's basically Jack Eichel, Dahlin and some wankers for the most part.

Botts hired a coach that seems to have a huge bond with Eichel.

He signed MoJo, made a solid move with the trash noted “draft expert” Murray left him for Joker, and moved out expiring deals for Kahun and picks. He has basically been the GM for three seasons and two drafts. Firing him would be a terrible decision. The biggest faults of his career are RoR which was forced by management and Middlestadt which was likely him taking his scouts opinions. Verdict is out on the Skinner deal IMO. Dude is always red hot or ice cold. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him put up another 30 goals next year. They tried to play him with Rodrigues and never with Eichel this year. Just weird decisions all around about his usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad