OT: Around the NHL - This is it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
You'll watch. We all will. Options are slim.

Sir, I will have you know that I boycotted the half lockout season AND the following year.

Literally NOT even one look at scores and shit.

Apparently, this was pretty good because the Pens were melting down reallllly f***ing bad in playoffs lol

It really isn't that hard to ignore it when it doesn't make ya happy to watch.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You'll watch. We all will. Options are slim.
It really depends. I am not a fan of teams that shouldn't have a chance, getting a chance. That isn't right imo and for me, this season is already tainted because of it. Winner or whatever, there is going to be an asterisk and the only fan base that will argue this was the best season will be the one that wins, while the rest, including that one, will know...this was a travesty of a season.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Sir, I will have you know that I boycotted the half lockout season AND the following year.

Literally NOT even one look at scores and shit.

Apparently, this was pretty good because the Pens were melting down reallllly f***ing bad in playoffs lol

It really isn't that hard to ignore it when it doesn't make ya happy to watch.
Kudos on your self discipline. I can't look away no matter how ugly the Penguins car crash may be, but I am weak like that. With that said, this bastardized playoff potential plan isn't a particularly good analogy to the hockey following the lockout. A pandemic versus greed/ego/hubris, you know.

Given the obstacles the league faces in putting this thing together, it is by no means a given, but if it goes down, I'll be interested to know how many regulars in here choose not to watch. I'd wager it will be a distinct minority. But each to their own: I'll be glued to the screen even if Price is standing on his head and the Habs are thinking sweep.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
It really depends. I am not a fan of teams that shouldn't have a chance, getting a chance.
That is the worst part of plan. It is difficult to argue the league didn't bend to the clout of 3 of the original 6 who potentially make it in, in the 24 team format, who deserve no such thing (Rangers/Habs/Hawks). Arizona qualifying while four point under wildcard is ridiculous, too, but not as ridiculous as the Habs qualifying.

A 20 team playoff with two first round byes would have been a more fair and reasonable call, and less dismissive of the 70 games already played.
That isn't right imo and for me, this season is already tainted because of it. Winner or whatever, there is going to be an asterisk and the only fan base that will argue this was the best season will be the one that wins, while the rest, including that one, will know...this was a travesty of a season.
There are no perfect options, but there are a lot of contractual/financial reasons driving the league to get something done. There will be an asterisk in any case, particularly if a bottom four team wins out, but less if BOS/TB/STL prevails. I'll watch, but hell, as pissed as I was over the last lockout, I actually enjoyed the short season that followed. Every game mattered. The NHL needs easy marks like me. And yes, I've got a $1,000 deposit down for season tix for the Seattle "Team Without A Name (...or players, for that matter)" playing in an arena that is under reconstruction in a city under full lockdown. Case in point, you're welcome Uncle Gary.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Our team has as good of a chance as anyone. f***ing, think about our players. They're that good.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
It really depends. I am not a fan of teams that shouldn't have a chance, getting a chance. That isn't right imo and for me, this season is already tainted because of it. Winner or whatever, there is going to be an asterisk and the only fan base that will argue this was the best season will be the one that wins, while the rest, including that one, will know...this was a travesty of a season.

Eh, if the cup is one by one of the "regular" playoff teams, I don't see why it would be tainted. It'll be a weird, because of the pause in play, but not tainted.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Our team has as good of a chance as anyone. f***ing, think about our players. They're that good.
I read that and was like f*** yeah!

Then I remembered....
Dlx1b8KW4AAGrTN.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate how articles are like Akim Aliu spoke about the ugliness about hockey and the stars stayed silent.

These guys are not going to say what they think while they hold a job. Also it's not on the stars to speak up. If they saw something or want to they should but it shouldn't be held against them if they don't want to get into a public forum about it.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Damn straight, brother! Ten years from now, if not five, we are going to really miss this team. And I like the fact that a healthy Pens team is going to storm into the second round, on fire after whipping Montreal's ass, playing a team that hasn't had "do or die" games for around 12 months or more. Pens may actually do better outside of Pittsburgh as well. Just hockey focus, no home distractions, less outside pressure, no one bitching for tickets. Asterisk or not, Let's F***ing Go, Pens!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I hate how articles are like Akim Aliu spoke about the ugliness about hockey and the stars stayed silent.

These guys are not going to say what they think while they hold a job. Also it's not on the stars to speak up. If they saw something or want to they should but it shouldn't be held against them if they don't want to get into a public forum about it.

It's all a joke, man. No one is gonna be serious when it comes to the NHL being a true and legit league or bastion of any sort of equality or justice. See: DoPS heads

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I was enjoying NBC’s replay of the Russia-USA match from the Sochi olympics until they decided to make the first period intermission all about the greatness of Oshie the douche

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The CHL is live streaming Memorial Cup games over the next few weeks. Windsor outshot Brandon, the host team, 27-4 in the second period. Twenty seven to four. Jeez.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Not absolving inaction but NHL players are the most milquetoast athletes on the planet. Barely anyone says anything controversial.

The only thing I remember any NHL player creating headlines was Avery and his sloppy seconds (which got him a suspension) and Tim Thomas refusing to go to the WH.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The reason that stars don't respond to articles like Aliu's situation is that it's a no-win scenario for them. Combining outrage culture with journalists being shitty in the name of looking "woke" just makes it pointless for them to respond. If they respond negatively, they get butchered for being a part of the problem. If they give a boring response, they get butchered for giving a canned response prepared by a PR team. If they ignore it, they get butchered for being complicit with it. Their only options are to make a strong statement that panders to the journalists and readers who engage in outrage culture (who they frankly shouldn't be pandering to) or get butchered.

As an aside, I hate how people try to argue that pro athletes have to be "role models" for kids. Being a pro athlete should be treated like any other kind of job, just do your job and don't be a shithead off the ice. Just be a good person, but there are a lot of people out there who think pro athletes have to be more than that.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I saw the NHL phase projections and started to read it until I noticed it was several long winded pages of weird stuff.

"
At the outset of Phase 2, all Players must undergo a pre-participation medical evaluation (PPME) and Exhibit
25A clearance prior to participating in any Phase 2 activities. The PPME shall include a focus on existing
injuries (including any injuries requiring rehabilitation), medical conditions, and on cardiac screening as set out
in the addendum to the PPME (to be sent separately). An evaluation of Players and “Player Access” Club
personnel shall also be conducted (and at each Club’s discretion, this may also be conducted on “No-Player
Access” Club personnel) for any co-morbidities that may carry increased risk with COVID-19 infection. The
CDC instructs that certain individuals are at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19, including, without
limitation, people 65 years and older and people of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if
not well controlled.

Specifically, the PPME shall include, at a minimum:
• Medical history review and focused examination
• Orthopedic history review and focused examination
• ECG1
• Post-COVID cardiac questionnaire and investigation based on a checklist that will be provided.
During the PPME it shall also be determined whether persons sharing a home with the person being evaluated
currently have symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19 or are otherwise at high-risk for severe illness
from COVID-19.
1 Anyone confirmed or suspected of having had COVID-19 shall have further investigation with echocardiography
and high sensitivity troponin (nsTn) and, at the discretion of the Club physician(s), consultation with a cardiologist.
The following are not required, but may be done on a case-by-case basis, as appropriate:
• Eye examination
• Concussion testing
• Lab and other investigations
Due to the close contact required, routine dental examination is not recommended
"

Seems a bit invasive.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'd settle for pro athletes not being horribly racist shitheads, but, I'm not naive enough to hold my breath for it.

Athletes are just like any other cross-section of society: there will be people who do the right thing and there will be others who are horrible

Just like there are accountants/line workers/landscapers/teachers/celebs who fall all across the spectrum. I don't think athletes are any better/worse in this regard, they just get more attention

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not absolving inaction but NHL players are the most milquetoast athletes on the planet. Barely anyone says anything controversial.

The only thing I remember any NHL player creating headlines was Avery and his sloppy seconds (which got him a suspension) and Tim Thomas refusing to go to the WH.

You kind of answered your own question/comment.

Look at what happens when the players do speak out, they get in trouble. The NHL isn't like the NFL, MLB or NBA. They can go and say whatever they want, but those sports are also where loyalty goes to die. These guys are loyal to their teams and being as such, there are rules in place, players can't speak out like they want to without repercussions, their views are also the teams views in most cases, so even if they did want to speak out, they'd have to go through their team's PR department and get approval, at that point, you're better off working behind the scenes on things.

PK Subban for example, is the league's most annoying camera hog. Even he's mum on this, mean while Ryan Miller said something and while it was just backing up Aliu, it was barely anything.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I saw the NHL phase projections and started to read it until I noticed it was several long winded pages of weird stuff.

"
At the outset of Phase 2, all Players must undergo a pre-participation medical evaluation (PPME) and Exhibit
25A clearance prior to participating in any Phase 2 activities. The PPME shall include a focus on existing
injuries (including any injuries requiring rehabilitation), medical conditions, and on cardiac screening as set out
in the addendum to the PPME (to be sent separately). An evaluation of Players and “Player Access” Club
personnel shall also be conducted (and at each Club’s discretion, this may also be conducted on “No-Player
Access” Club personnel) for any co-morbidities that may carry increased risk with COVID-19 infection. The
CDC instructs that certain individuals are at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19, including, without
limitation, people 65 years and older and people of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if
not well controlled.

Specifically, the PPME shall include, at a minimum:
• Medical history review and focused examination
• Orthopedic history review and focused examination
• ECG1
• Post-COVID cardiac questionnaire and investigation based on a checklist that will be provided.
During the PPME it shall also be determined whether persons sharing a home with the person being evaluated
currently have symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19 or are otherwise at high-risk for severe illness
from COVID-19.
1 Anyone confirmed or suspected of having had COVID-19 shall have further investigation with echocardiography
and high sensitivity troponin (nsTn) and, at the discretion of the Club physician(s), consultation with a cardiologist.
The following are not required, but may be done on a case-by-case basis, as appropriate:
• Eye examination
• Concussion testing
• Lab and other investigations
Due to the close contact required, routine dental examination is not recommended
"

Seems a bit invasive.
I am pretty sure JJ was exposed to someone with Covid. Join me in spreading that word and starting a 2 month isolation bid for him.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
You kind of answered your own question/comment.

Look at what happens when the players do speak out, they get in trouble. The NHL isn't like the NFL, MLB or NBA. They can go and say whatever they want, but those sports are also where loyalty goes to die. These guys are loyal to their teams and being as such, there are rules in place, players can't speak out like they want to without repercussions, their views are also the teams views in most cases, so even if they did want to speak out, they'd have to go through their team's PR department and get approval, at that point, you're better off working behind the scenes on things.

PK Subban for example, is the league's most annoying camera hog. Even he's mum on this, mean while Ryan Miller said something and while it was just backing up Aliu, it was barely anything.

Don't disagree with anything you said
Obviously that's why I have a ton of respect for Jackie Robinson and Ali. Could you imagine literally fearing for your life while just trying to play a sport you love?

Some people have that conviction and others don't. So I don't necessarily hold it against athletes who choose not to. Because some just want to play and nothing else.

I couldn't envision people coming up to me and asking what I feel about the Middle East on my way to the office every day and having to take a position on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad