OT: Around the NHL: The Start of a New Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He’s still a good defender I’m sure that’ll rectify itself

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Such a blockbuster of a three-way trade that I best most of us have never heard those players' names.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Game tied but Vancouver is trash right now against Ottawa

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Vancouver won 5-1, lol. And before any of you say anything, Murray was not in net.

I'm surprised how bad Ottawa looks. I know they were supposed to struggle and likely finish last in their division, but I was expecting them to be a difficult out and lose a lot of 1 or 2 goal games, not get pounded almost every night.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I'm surprised how bad Ottawa looks. I know they were supposed to struggle and likely finish last in their division, but I was expecting them to be a difficult out and lose a lot of 1 or 2 goal games, not get pounded almost every night.

They're the worst team I've ever seen. I too was expecting them to be a little harder to play against. They're not. It's not even funny. Just 60 minutes of demoralizing, unrelentingly awful play. I think they need a different coach. They would still be a bad team, but their fanbase wouldn't have to watch their players aimlessly roaming the ice anymore. They play as if every roster member gets hit in the head with a brick before they start the game. They're so bad.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Murray, Jarry, and DeSmith are currently ranked 59th, 55th, and 54th in save % among the 60 goalies that qualify. Woof
Jars is trending back up, that last game was his team literally letting him down with some of the dumbest f***ing shit I have ever seen on a 2-0 chance by 2 members of this team’s core and leadership group.

Murray on the other hand, to say he’s shit is offensive to shit.

I just hope Sullivan keeps playing Jarry, get him back into the groove of things like he has been, even behind that hilariously injured defense. But Murray, I don’t think his issues are that he’s so deep in his net, I just don’t think he moves the way he did before. It’s clear he had another injury when he was out one of those many times he was out with an injury on the Pens, that seemed to affect his movement. His reflexes aren’t that sharp anymore either. When Murray was trending towards the group of elite goaltenders, he was challenging shooters and quick with his movements. Now? He looks pretty done, like Eddie Lack did before he retired.

But the biggest hurdle in Murray’s career is that he hasn’t been humbled at all. Did anyone read any of his comments after the Canucks game? He again, chalks it basically up to luck. That nothing went there way, just one of those nights. Nah mate, you aren’t good and you need to admit that and own up to it.

Warrenspiece: Sens goalie Matt Murray isn't blinded by the numbers | Ottawa Sun

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They're the worst team I've ever seen. I too was expecting them to be a little harder to play against. They're not. It's not even funny. Just 60 minutes of demoralizing, unrelentingly awful play. I think they need a different coach. They would still be a bad team, but their fanbase wouldn't have to watch their players aimlessly roaming the ice anymore. They play as if every roster member gets hit in the head with a brick before they start the game. They're so bad.
Penguins should do them a solid. They should fire Sullivan and let the Senators hire him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’s still a good defender I’m sure that’ll rectify itself

Jones not being a great defensive player has been a big thing in analytics for a while, and I think all the info on how to exploit what he's doing wrong is out there online. His season should get better but I think to a certain extent, people have got his number now.

Reactions: Gurglesons

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Jones not being a great defensive player has been a big thing in analytics for a while, and I think all the info on how to exploit what he's doing wrong is out there online. His season should get better but I think to a certain extent, people have got his number now.
I've always been of the opinion that he isn't that smart of a player defensively, but what do mean about "online info"?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've always been of the opinion that he isn't that smart of a player defensively, but what do mean about "online info"?

Just media articles digging deep on his flaws. You look at this article from Jack Han and boom, if you were a forward unsure on how to attack Seth Jones, now you're not.

And I'm sure pro scouts and video analysts have spotted it all as well. Han's a smart hockey guy, but he's not some incredible savant that spots what others can't.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Just media articles digging deep on his flaws. You look at this article from Jack Han and boom, if you were a forward unsure on how to attack Seth Jones, now you're not.

And I'm sure pro scouts and video analysts have spotted it all as well. Han's a smart hockey guy, but he's not some incredible savant that spots what others can't.
Oh got it, that's a good article, and yeah I'm sure pro scouts are seeing similar things. I was just making sure you weren't talking about some micro advanced stats like zone entries or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad