OT: Around the NHL: The Start of a New Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
@Gurglesons

Here is Kaprosov's goal from last night. He also assisted on two others.

A bunch of people have Minny as their 4th team in the West division. They have a good defense, decent group of wingers, and a respectable goalie. Their only weakness, and it's a big one, is down the middle. Bjugstad and Bonino (maybe Johansson, who can play C).

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@Gurglesons

Here is Kaprosov's goal from last night. He also assisted on two others.

A bunch of people have Minny as their 4th team in the West division. They have a good defense, decent group of wingers, and a respectable goalie. Their only weakness, and it's a big one, is down the middle. Bjugstad and Bonino (maybe Johansson, who can play C).

I watched the game. Minnesota would okay, but it was basically Kaprizov on an island. They did it against the Kings. I imagine the rest of the season will be a little different.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yeah, they definitely do not stack up against the Big Three in that division. However, they do play a bunch of games against the California teams. So, they could make the most of that.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, they definitely do not stack up against the Big Three in that division. However, they do play a bunch of games against the California teams. So, they could make the most of that.

It's pointless to complain about because there's no good alternative, but the divisions are so damn unbalanced that we're inevitably going to see some weird things.

Minnesota making the playoffs without a center would certainly be weird, but given the California teams and Arizona represent half of that division, it's entirely plausible. That's 5 teams at or below the level of the worst team in the East in my eyes. Yeesh. Again, no good alternative given the circumstances (I'm not about to advocate for blowing up travel budgets for 24 teams, especially not when revenue sources are greatly reduced), but the standings may never mean less than they will in terms of defining the actual quality of a team. The point differential between the #3 and #4 teams in that division may well end up greater than the difference between #3 and #8 for the East.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It's pointless to complain about because there's no good alternative, but the divisions are so damn unbalanced that we're inevitably going to see some weird things.

Minnesota making the playoffs without a center would certainly be weird, but given the California teams and Arizona represent half of that division, it's entirely plausible. That's 5 teams at or below the level of the worst team in the East in my eyes. Yeesh. Again, no good alternative given the circumstances (I'm not about to advocate for blowing up travel budgets for 24 teams, especially not when revenue sources are greatly reduced), but the standings may never mean less than they will in terms of defining the actual quality of a team. The point differential between the #3 and #4 teams in that division may well end up greater than the difference between #3 and #8 for the East.

This has been brought up. It won’t be until the season is underway that fans realize how unbalanced the divisions are. A middle of the pack team (Minnesota, Nashville?) might end up finishing in the top four of a weak division while a competitive team (Pittsburgh, Boston?) doesn’t make the cut in a stacked one.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Rangers' season is off to a great start.

Hockey fans and even a lot of media overlook/underestimate (including and especially the forwards).

NYR have a potent offense but their team D sucks big time. A lot of pressure on the young goalie to bail them out. They really need some roster tweaks to bring that balance

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hockey fans and even a lot of media overlook/underestimate (including and especially the forwards).

NYR have a potent offense but their team D sucks big time. A lot of pressure on the young goalie to bail them out. They really need some roster tweaks to bring that balance

Their defensemen and goaltenders are green behind the ears. You can shelter forwards through rough stretches. The other two positions, not so much... Jacob Trouba, who is 26, is the elder statesman on that defense. And no, Jack Johnson doesn't belong in the discussion.

EDIT: oh, and David Quinn is still new to being a head coaching at the top level.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Their defensemen and goaltenders are green behind the ears. You can shelter forwards through rough stretches. The other two positions, not so much... Jacob Trouba, who is 26, is the elder statesman on that defense. And no, Jack Johnson doesn't belong in the discussion.

EDIT: oh, and David Quinn is still new to being a head coaching at the top level.

They have too many forwards that are trash defensively to shelter. They need some roster tweaks but they can figure that out next season. I’m good with how they are this season :laugh:

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They have too many forwards that are trash defensively to shelter. They need some roster tweaks but they can figure that out next season. I’m good with how they are this season :laugh:

If they figure it out they’ll be very very good though. Lot of talent. Here’s to hoping they don’t.

They're a prime example of a work in progress.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->