Around the NHL - The dog days of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
LA is just embarrassing...put up zero fight against Tampa...just let Kucherov walk all over you to a five-point night...

They're tanking, let's just ignore they even exist. To be honest, I am 100% ok with Hughes ending up there as long as he doesn't end up in Edmonton.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They're tanking, let's just ignore they even exist. To be honest, I am 100% ok with Hughes ending up there as long as he doesn't end up in Edmonton.

Well they better tank against us when we get out there then...all’s fair...

They probably need Hughes more than anyone...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well they better tank against us when we get out there then...all’s fair...

They probably need Hughes more than anyone...
I'm ok with them getting Hughes, it'd be good for that market I think.

And yeah, they're god awful. They look slow as hell, I don't worry about them suddenly turning it on against us. They fought us pretty hard in the last game, around the time the Pens were also quite shitty. With the way they're playing right now and the way the Pens are playing, the Kings suck way too much to have one of those "moments of brilliance" against the Pens.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Colorado probably ends up with the best odds. It’d be hilarious but really wouldn’t want them to add a player like Hughes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Colorado probably ends up with the best odds. It’d be hilarious but really wouldn’t want them to add a player like Hughes

I think it’d be funny to see MacKinnon destroy McDavid in terms of playoff success.

Avs are a team like the Penguins that has a great fan base and them being another juggernaut would only be great for that franchise.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Yep. Who was that arguing those points don't matter... Most boneheaded idea going.

The point is and was that our standing in October/November was not something to be as caught up in as many were, to the point of some people talking nonsense about firing the coach who has won two cups in his three seasons here and only lost out last year to the eventual winners when Malkin, Kessel and Brassard were all ghosts and Letang and Murray played way below their best. One doesn't have to love everything to appreciate that we have something good.

Just like people now talking about how its all so tight and playoffs aren't a certainty... come on. Our roster is objectively better than all but at most a handful of teams, and I'd say only Tampa have a truly legitimate argument.

Btw. on that.... Tampa are pretty fun to watch...

Reactions: Hobodrifter

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I think it’d be funny to see MacKinnon destroy McDavid in terms of playoff success.

Avs are a team like the Penguins that has a great fan base and them being another juggernaut would only be great for that franchise.

Ottawa makes ECF the trades for Duchene, trades away Karlsson........and then misses out on Hughes then Duchene leaves..........

tenor.gif

Reactions: Tender Rip

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The point is and was that our standing in October/November was not something to be as caught up in as many were, to the point of some people talking nonsense about firing the coach who has won two cups in his three seasons here and only lost out last year to the eventual winners when Malkin, Kessel and Brassard were all ghosts and Letang and Murray played way below their best. One doesn't have to love everything to appreciate that we have something good.

Just like people now talking about how its all so tight and playoffs aren't a certainty... come on. Our roster is objectively better than all but at most a handful of teams, and I'd say only Tampa have a truly legitimate argument.

Btw. on that.... Tampa are pretty fun to watch...

Huh? The Penguins have 50 pts. The Islanders have 48 they are 9th place overall with a game in hand. It is incredibly tight.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It seems like every time I check the boxscore of a Tampa Bay game, Kucherov has a 4-point night.

Tampa better win the Cup this year, otherwise that's going to be such a huge letdown after the regular season they're having.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Huh? The Penguins have 50 pts. The Islanders have 48 they are 9th place overall with a game in hand. It is incredibly tight.

Yeah... that's CRAZY, mate. But get this, before the season started everyone had THE SAME amount of points!!!!
You couldn't tell anything about anything - everyone looked equally good and likely to make it :eek::sarcasm:!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Yeah... that's CRAZY, mate. But get this, before the season started everyone had THE SAME amount of points!!!!
You couldn't tell anything about anything - everyone looked equally good and likely to make it :eek::sarcasm:!

pfft! Pens looked liked the best team ON PAPER during the off-season, so phooey to your 'equally good' nonsense!

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It seems like every time I check the boxscore of a Tampa Bay game, Kucherov has a 4-point night.

Tampa better win the Cup this year, otherwise that's going to be such a huge letdown after the regular season they're having.

I am not delusional in thinking Sid & Geno will lead the league in points ever again, at best, I hope they stay healthy and produce at a ppg pace just to show they are capable of ripping it up when they want to...but I really really want Ranta, Sid's BFF, or Kucherov to win the scoring title just to see the Oilers entire fan base collectively lose their shit.

They won't make the playoffs.
McDavid didn't get the most points.

They have nothing to be happy about.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
pfft! Pens looked liked the best team ON PAPER during the off-season, so phooey to your 'equally good' nonsense!
Yeah well, you know what, I simmed my entire NHL19 franchise as the Penguins and we totally won 67 games and the cup, Phil Kessel led our team in points too!

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I want to see Larkin in the skating competition absolutely ruin McDavid and knock the Oilers fan base down a few more pegs with their ridiculous hype about the kid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I am not delusional in thinking Sid & Geno will lead the league in points ever again, at best, I hope they stay healthy and produce at a ppg pace just to show they are capable of ripping it up when they want to...but I really really want Ranta, Sid's BFF, or Kucherov to win the scoring title just to see the Oilers entire fan base collectively lose their ****.

They won't make the playoffs.
McDavid didn't get the most points.

They have nothing to be happy about.

The Colorado duo likely will fall off for no other reason than their depth kind of sucks, and down the stretch they'll start to fatigue since teams have keyed on them all year.

Kucherov also was leading the league by a large margin around this time last year, but faded down the stretch as well. So while he's on fire right now, I'm interested to see if he's still producing through February and March.

That's one thing you have to give McDavid credit for. He's consistent over the entire 82 games. Some of these guys who give him a run for his money but then fade tend to get hot for the bulk, but go into a 15-20 game slide where they produce under a point per game.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I want to see Larkin in the skating competition absolutely ruin McDavid and knock the Oilers fan base down a few more pegs with their ridiculous hype about the kid.

They'll say it isn't fair. Larkin plays at a lower latitude than McDavid, so he has an unfair training advantage for play farther south, like San Jose.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Colorado duo likely will fall off for no other reason than their depth kind of sucks, and down the stretch they'll start to fatigue since teams have keyed on them all year.

Kucherov also was leading the league by a large margin around this time last year, but faded down the stretch as well. So while he's on fire right now, I'm interested to see if he's still producing through February and March.

That's one thing you have to give McDavid credit for. He's consistent over the entire 82 games. Some of these guys who give him a run for his money but then fade tend to get hot for the bulk, but go into a 15-20 game slide where they produce under a point per game.

What's his OZ starts? Like 98%?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's his OZ starts? Like 98%?

Not too high. 58%.

The one thing I do think that needs to be recognized, but never seems to be brought up by any media is how much of the wing McDavid actually plays. McDavid's only taken 475 total faceoffs this season. Crosby has 471 faceoff wins this year, let alone total faceoffs. I do think that's noteworthy because it's generally easier for wingers because they have less overall responsibility and can focus on offense.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Not too high. 58%.

The one thing I do think that needs to be recognized, but never seems to be brought up by any media is how much of the wing McDavid actually plays. McDavid's only taken 475 total faceoffs this season. Crosby has 471 faceoff wins this year, let alone total faceoffs. I do think that's noteworthy because it's generally easier for wingers because they have less overall responsibility and can focus on offense.

This guy, bringing facts to a McJesus discussion.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

They will start to get real tight for cap too. Kucherov goes up 5 mi, MCD an extra 2 mil, whatever Point gets which will be a lot being he’s arguably their best player this season, plus however many D they need to sign to fill the roster

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
LENGTH: 14 YEARSTEAM: Tampa Bay Lightning
VALUE: $32,666,667DATE: June 27, 2013
Vincent Lecavier

Good lord! I don't get how teams have to pay you even if you don't go to work. That is insane.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not too high. 58%.

Well he plays with Draisaitl right? I don't think McDavid has been a full time C for a while now.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
McDavid is definitely a winger 80% of the time. Which goes to show the lengths Edmonton will go in order to have his production be the singular reason they ever win, because they’re a better team with him carrying bum wingers and Draisaitl getting tougher reps. Instead they seem to be more enamoured with the idea of losing every game 5-3 and McDavid getting 120 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad