Around the NHL - The dog days of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think the last time I watched the All-Star game was when Owen Nolan did the finger point on Dominik Hasek, also I think Gretzky and Lemieux were finally on the same All Star Team.

I usually watch the skills competition but havent watched the games in years. They just seem boring as hell.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I usually watch the skills competition but havent watched the games in years. They just seem boring as hell.

Even the skills competition is a joke.

"HE IS NOW THE FASTEST PLAYER IN THE NHL!"

Is the whole f***ing NHL there to challenge that shit?

Most teams do their own skills comps, I would love for every team to do it and then compile an actual list of who's the top 5 in each category.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Zach Kassian riding with McDavid and Draisaitl tonight. He actually had a beauty assist on a Connor goal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Zach Kassian riding with McDavid and Draisaitl tonight. He actually had a beauty assist on a Connor goal.

That's one guy I never understood didn't produce more. When you see Tom Wilson's production, it amazes me Kassian isn't a similar type of productive bruiser. Maybe it's consistency or something, but Kassian seems to have more skill to be producing so little.

Reactions: Dovahkiin

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That's one guy I never understood didn't produce more. When you see Tom Wilson's production, it amazes me Kassian isn't a similar type of productive bruiser. Maybe it's consistency or something, but Kassian seems to have more skill to be producing so little.

The 2nd half of 13/14 he was really playing well (47 point pace in the last 35 games). He does have decent puck skills in general not just for a fighter . He scored a beauty against us that season. I was at the game, it was Sid like. He batted the puck down out of the air and then backhanded past Fleury all at a decent speed. Couple injuries the next season but still producing alright. Then traded to Montreal for Prust and then quickly to Edmonton where players go to die :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

If you want to go against a top line that is at least 6-3 220 lbs then that right there is your answer. OV is a goal scoring maniac so just get him the puck. Done.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The All star selections will always be baffling as long as they have the 4 divisional teams with at least one representative from each team. It's nearly impossible to nominate the right players from each team in that scenario.

It's all about the casual fan now and not actually meaningful to a career. My only concern is if the Hall of Fame tries to use all star appearances as real evidence for election or denial.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
https://www.tsn.ca/dreger-sens-contract-talks-soon-to-heat-up-1.1235261

Duchene, acquired in Nov. 2017 in a blockbuster trade with the Colorado Avalanche and Nashville Predators, has been eligible for an extension since July 1. He has 16 goals and 40 points in 35 games this season while missing time due to a groin injury.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported in November that the two sides were progressing on an extension and said his guess would be a maximum term of eight years with an average annual value of $8 million to $9 million on Duchene's new deal.

8-9MM for 8 years for Duchene. So glad we locked up our stars years ago.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The 2nd half of 13/14 he was really playing well (47 point pace in the last 35 games). He does have decent puck skills in general not just for a fighter . He scored a beauty against us that season. I was at the game, it was Sid like. He batted the puck down out of the air and then backhanded past Fleury all at a decent speed. Couple injuries the next season but still producing alright. Then traded to Montreal for Prust and then quickly to Edmonton where players go to die :laugh:

I just remember seeing both guys in junior (Wilson and Kassian) and thinking Kassian's the more talented of the two. Better passer, better stickhandler, etc. The only edge Wilson had was skating.

Kassian's just one of those guys who you'd think would be a consistent 15 goal guy with 150 PIMs because of his skill. Instead, he ends up on the 4th line and is lucky if he tops 10 goals.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I just remember seeing both guys in junior (Wilson and Kassian) and thinking Kassian's the more talented of the two. Better passer, better stickhandler, etc. The only edge Wilson had was skating.

Kassian's just one of those guys who you'd think would be a consistent 15 goal guy with 150 PIMs because of his skill. Instead, he ends up on the 4th line and is lucky if he tops 10 goals.

I guess the Canucks gave him more opportunities to move up the lines and he did well there.

I think if he’d stayed a Canuck he’d have a better career. In Edmonton they didn’t afford him those opportunities as much.

I like his attributes pretty skilled and certainly has the physical game. If JR wanted an enforcer type he’d be a guy to get to replace Oleksiak

EDIT: Although he is another RW to add the list.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I guess the Canucks gave him more opportunities to move up the lines and he did well there.

I think if he’d stayed a Canuck he’d have a better career. In Edmonton they didn’t afford him those opportunities as much.

I like his attributes pretty skilled and certainly has the physical game. If JR wanted an enforcer type he’d be a guy to get to replace Oleksiak

EDIT: Although he is another RW to add the list.

I'm one of the few on here who wouldn't have minded adding Kassian when it was rumored Edmonton was shopping him, though I think his cap hit might be a tad high (can't be bothered to check to be sure).

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but here is where you can vote for Letang for the all-star last men in:

NHL All-Star Last Men In

And also make sure to click the "vote these players again" or whatever button at the end of the confirmation, you can vote 10 times each 24 hour period.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm one of the few on here who wouldn't have minded adding Kassian when it was rumored Edmonton was shopping him, though I think his cap hit might be a tad high (can't be bothered to check to be sure).

If we are going to use Sheahan as a winger, I would rather we got a winger instead. Kassian makes about 50k less or so than Sheahan, we have Grant that can play C and we have Cullen that plays C.

If the deal was to swap Sheahan for Kassian, I do it. It adds physicality to the 4th line and he's a guy that can take a regular shift, is a solid enough forechecker and has ok hands for the 4th line. In other words, if Kassian produces like Kassian on the 4th line, you're not as frustrated as you would be with Sheahan.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've watched a few Chicago games lately and man they are brutal. They are not enjoyable to watch at all. It's like watching the Johnston era. Just so boring.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I've watched a few Chicago games lately and man they are brutal. They are not enjoyable to watch at all. It's like watching the Johnston era. Just so boring.

I’m just praying they can pull it together to beat the Isles tonight since they are creeping up on us...we know the Hawks will beat the Pens Sunday because that’s what they do...

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s because they stopped playing Kunitz.

I actually googled him a couple days ago to see what was going on and the top two clicks said this:

1) Blackhawks' Chris Kunitz on costly elbow: 'It was just a weird play'

Chris Kunitz’s first, and likely only, season with the Blackhawks was awful enough before he elbowed Flames defenseman Travis Hamonic’s face Sunday.

It was bad enough that the 39-year-old winger — a four-time Stanley Cup winner — had given the Hawks essentially nothing in the way of offense, with two assists in 21 games. He already was dealing with the harsh reality of being a regular lineup scratch for the first time in his long career.

2) Blackhawks' Chris Kunitz: Missing in action

Kunitz has struggled mightily in 2018-19, tallying just a pair of assists in 23 games. The Blackhawks' forward last found the scoresheet Oct. 31.

It's been a forgettable season for the 39-year-old, once-upon-a-time Olympian. Kunitz is playing 10:10 per game in his first season with the suddenly woeful Blackhawks and will likely consider retirement at the conclusion of the current campaign. He's no longer relevant in fantasy and can be safely ignored in all formats

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Austin Czarnik is all over the ice in this Flames game.

And Saad sucks. Every single game i've watched of the Hawks, Saad is as bad as Chris Kunitz was for the Pens late in his career.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->