Around the NHL - The dog days of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The people saying Chiarelli is a clown, you guys keep forgetting, GM's can't just go and sign a bunch of ass hats to whatever they want, they have to get an OK and that has to get an OK from the ownership group.

I can't just hand out raises all willy nilly and if I wanted a raise myself, I have to go through so many hoops just to get the actual raise. Oilers don't have an idiot in management issue, I've always said, that team has a ****ing idiot as an owner. He's allowing that stuff to happen.

How does a player know this, this is deeply rooted in their ****ing history mind you, even want to be there?

Taylor Hall probably felt bad because he got traded, but being out of that hell hole is probably a **** ton better even if it's NJ he's in right now.

Owners give GM's green light to make certain decisions. Ownership has to sign off on some of the bigger ones, but isn't in the weeds on every decision (although that depends on the ownership). Obviously the whole organization is a tire fire, but Chia deserves a shit ton of blame.

Reactions: td_ice

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Which is why that organization will never completely improve until they clean house of all those old Oilers. Chiarelli wasn't great, but Chiarelli is just a small part of the problem there.

They have so many bad contracts, they really need to do an on the fly rebuild but that's wasting some of McDavid's prime years. There prospect pool isn't that great that they can afford to use picks to dump some of the bad contracts. They've got 3 first liners (McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH), one 3rd liner (Chiasson) and then everyone else is a 4th liner or complete scrub. Last game they iced Brandon Manning, Matt Benning and Alex Petrovic, no wonder Koskinen wanted 4.5 million to play behind those clowns.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will not be shocked, in any way, if find out Chia made those moves out of spite. They were sooooo brutal.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Owners give GM's green light to make certain decisions. Ownership has to sign off on some of the bigger ones, but isn't in the weeds on every decision (although that depends on the ownership). Obviously the whole organization is a tire fire, but Chia deserves a **** ton of blame.
You'd think after a decade of futility that they'd be making sure each signing was thoroughly vetted first. In the end, it's hilarious af. Chia left a wasteland behind.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving franchise.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I will not be shocked, in any way, if find out Chia made those moves out of spite. They were sooooo brutal.
Oh man I hope he did. It'd be so funny. Oilers need to hire an upstanding guy to replace him and so Bob doesn't do the job too long. Bill Guerin!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It can only mean that all those awful moves got full approval of the ownership and the rest of the front office, which means they’re still ****ed.
Yeah that was my take but people here are arguing like it was 100% on Chia that he ran around with a pen and contract pad ready and willing to sign any idiot to any amount like a team president, accountant and other folks didn't exist.

It's not like JR gave Jake his contract without approval of Mario and Ron and the team pres. Likely given a ball park and to get it within that. It's how it usually works after all of the other things like age, progression, development etc is considered.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The Oilers knowing they'd probably fire Chiarelli and still giving him free reign to make moves/sign players is like making it known you're going to fire someone who works at your restaurant, then leaving him in charge of being responsible for handling all the money that goes through the register.

Reactions: ColePens and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What’s worse, firing Chia at intermission or the Panthers leaving Gallant on the tarmac?

The Panthers did Gallant a favor firing him, so I'd say Chia is worse. Nobody is going to hire that clown to run a team again . . . and I think they may have made him pay for the nachos too.

Reactions: Bingo71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad