Around the NHL - The dog days of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s funny, but his personality will.

His championships and gold medal, plus likely being 3rd in playoff and RS wins is nothing to sneeze at. Plus the fact he’s been to 5 SCF. 3 as a starter.

Crazy that he’s a HOF though. I really don’t think he deserves to be. But, his resume isn’t like an Osgood. Especially after last year’s run.
I think he's earned it. When his career is over, there's a good chance he'll finish close to 600 wins. That's still impressive. People diminished so much of what he did and then they tried to play off last year as some fluke as well. I'd be happy for the guy if/when he gets to the hall. People that think Sid and Geno propelled anyone to win didn't see when Fleury was bad, we were damn bad too.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
If people have diminished anything about Fleury's career, it's his legacy of choking on big stages, with 2 exceptions. But I agree that he will probably make the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
MAF is just frustrating. He'd make a game long series of amazing saves and focused tending, only to misplay it behind the net and lose.

He has decent enough wins totals, GAA and SV%, plus multiple Stanley Cup wins that he'll be a real strong candidate.

He'd be a shoe-in if he'd managed to ever get personal trophies, too.

But I think his longevity of playing at a high level will do it.

Modern goaltending is hard to rate. Well, harder to rate than the decades up to the mid90s I think. Skaters are so good that 4th liners have skill enough to score pretty goals. A talented goalie can only do so much anymore if the team in front can't help out. You plop Dryden out there today, we probably complain he sucks.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Yeah but you also can't forget when he was good as well.

Like it or lump it, that's the nature of the goaltending position.

No one remembers that the defense got walked and you had to contend against 4 breakaways per game. They remember the flopping and putting goals in on yourself and from behind the net and unscreened shots going in.

This isn't bias because I follow the team, but I've never seen an NHL goalie melt down right before my eyes like that

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It’s funny, but his personality will.

His championships and gold medal, plus likely being 3rd in playoff and RS wins is nothing to sneeze at. Plus the fact he’s been to 5 SCF. 3 as a starter.

Crazy that he’s a HOF though. I really don’t think he deserves to be. But, his resume isn’t like an Osgood. Especially after last year’s run.

Agreed. I don't think he's achieved enough personal greatness to deserve it, but he's had plenty of team success and earning Cup finals with another team shows he wasn't just a product of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: BHD and EightyOne

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
MAF has 5 SO but a .908 sv percentage!?! :laugh: That is weird.
That is weird.

He is up to .910 now.

Subban, his backup, .895. Which either he sucks, or shows how great MAF is playing. Or combo of the two.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The more he plays, the more I think he'll get in. If hockey writers (the ones with more sway) are making a case for Osgood, then I think they'll do the same for MAF.

Just to be clear... I would ecstatic if he got in. However, I would hesitate to vote for him if I was indifferent to the sweater he wore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Haha. Watching the Caps try to skate their way through Nashville's 1-3-1 in the NZ.

5-3 Preds. The Caps look really uncomfortable making plays right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm curious how well Reirden does in the playoffs. When you're pushed to plan against an opponent and it's a battle of wits, its when you really see how good a coach is.

Indeed. When he replaced Trotz, I was curious to see how much would be him bringing in new ideas to the table vs. him taking over from what Trotz put in place.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Haha. Watching the Caps try to skate their way through Nashville's 1-3-1 in the NZ.

5-3 Preds. The Caps look really uncomfortable making plays right now.

This is what pissed me off about last year’s POs against the Caps...I always said we should use the trap against them and we could win the games, and we never did....I think it’s a good strategy to use against them...turn the tables on them

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This is what pissed me off about last year’s POs against the Caps...I always said we should use the trap against them and we could win the games, and we never did....I think it’s a good strategy to use against 5em...turn the tables on them

They did during both Cup years, and it worked. However, they've become lackadaisical in that area over the years. What will be key, though, is limiting the TURNOVERS. How many of the Caps' goals were a direct result of poor puck management? The Preds didn't give them the opportunity to do anything with the puck after taking the lead this afternoon.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can the Isles just leave? You’re not winning the Cup, just go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad