Around the NHL - The dog days of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Remember in 2011 the hockey world got its collective panties in a bunch because the Penguins were playing in their 2nd Winter Classic? I wonder where the outrage went when other teams have played in just as many or more since? :sarcasm:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Not a fan of the Hawks winter classic jerseys. Taking out all of the color on one of the best logos in the league, doesn't make sense to me. The Bruins are OK. Nothing special.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Winter Classic would be better if it was the only outdoor game in USA and was different teams every year.

Reactions: SirBrad

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Indeed. When he replaced Trotz, I was curious to see how much would be him bringing in new ideas to the table vs. him taking over from what Trotz put in place.

It's tough to gauge what the changes are right now, because it's minor tweaks during the season with not as much of a turnover with the roster. But when the playoff hits and real pressure gets back on the plate, it's when we'll see how good Reirden is.

I actually thought Todd Reirden was the guy that helped resurrect so many of our "defense projects" really. Schultz was more of a guy that just needed to get the f*** out of Edmonton, but Todd Reirden worked wonders with Niskanen and others with fixing a lot of glaring issues with severely flawed defensemen.

Even Olli Maatta looked promising under Reirden.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's tough to gauge what the changes are right now, because it's minor tweaks during the season with not as much of a turnover with the roster. But when the playoff hits and real pressure gets back on the plate, it's when we'll see how good Reirden is.

I actually thought Todd Reirden was the guy that helped resurrect so many of our "defense projects" really. Schultz was more of a guy that just needed to get the **** out of Edmonton, but Todd Reirden worked wonders with Niskanen and others with fixing a lot of glaring issues with severely flawed defensemen.

Even Olli Maatta looked promising under Reirden.

Niskanen was misused in Dallas worse than Schultz.

And during Reirden’s time here we didn’t produce a single D prospect outside of Bort and Engo.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This Pred/Flyers game... 3 trips in 15 seconds and none of them called. The first one, all players stopped playing thinking it was a penalty.

These refs need to start calling shit. This is bad.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Fleury has 6 shutouts already, jeez. He's also probably going to play 70 games this season barring injury.

Of course MAF likes to be the cornerstone of the team, but no way will this be a viable strategy.

They need a more reliable back-up they can trust for 15-20 games or they will burn him out or cause him injury.

I know 65 vs 70 games doesn't sound like a big deal...But...

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Of course MAF likes to be the cornerstone of the team, but no way will this be a viable strategy.

They need a more reliable back-up they can trust for 15-20 games or they will burn him out or cause him injury.

I know 65 vs 70 games doesn't sound like a big deal...But...

Given that in the last 3yrs, he's been out with concussions, they NEED to find a solid back-up. Subban stinks, VGK would be smart to make a move for say, Nilsson on the Canucks if he's available (I mention him because I think he just spazzed out recently and probably wants out).

Well maybe not Nilsson, there are better back-ups to be had from the teams that are likely never going to dig themselves out of the basement.

Reactions: EightyOne

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Every year I am surprised that the winter classic is still a thing.

Same. But just like anything that’s successful it will run it’s course and normally overrun its course by a lot. Both of the Flyers/Pens outdoor games couldn’t have tickets move any slower than they have. I don’t even know if the game at Heinz sold out but tickets were readily available a week leading up. I’ve been bombarded with ads about the game in Philly this year. Haven’t checked but can’t imagine tickets are going quick. I mean what Pittsburgher wants to spend good money to travel and be around so many Flyers fans anyhow?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Same. But just like anything that’s successful it will run it’s course and normally overrun its course by a lot. Both of the Flyers/Pens outdoor games couldn’t have tickets move any slower than they have. I don’t even know if the game at Heinz sold out but tickets were readily available a week leading up. I’ve been bombarded with ads about the game in Philly this year. Haven’t checked but can’t imagine tickets are going quick. I mean what Pittsburgher wants to spend good money to travel and be around so many Flyers fans anyhow?
I honestly didn't know or forgot that we were playing in one this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->