NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hard to argue CM isn`t worth every penny he`ll get but 13.25, if my math is even close is what? 17-18% of the cap space of the Oilers? Man o man

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Chara also had a similar Cap % when he signed his 37.5M/5y deal in 2006. Same with Crosby and OV last deals.

It`s crazy, you just know, at some point, having a contract on the books that large begins to have an affect in a teams ability to maneuver under the cap, we see it with the Hawks almost every year and now, IMO, we`re going to see that team start a bit of a downturn because of it however, with 3 Cups in recent history, I`m sure they are more than ok with it

Having someone like CM forces you to do this though, kid is one of those rare talents, can`t low ball him and I`m more concerned about the cap remaining flat or increasing only slightly, that`s when teams with big tickets will feel the pinch

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well Bergeron and Marchand aren't even in the same stratosphere as McDavid so it would make sense.

The same stratosphere? Just a bit of an exaggeration. McDavid is a great player, unfortunately hockey isn't basketball where one player can have a much greater impact on the game. If McDavid was smart, he would sign a big contract, but not one so big that it's going to handcuff the team.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The Oilers are in tough shape moving forward. Hard to argue that MCD isn't worth that contract, but what is Draisaitl going to get? Reports are 9M/yr for 8 years as an ask? What about Nurse & Strome next offseason as RFAs? Maroon will want a decent raise as well.

They have 19 mil in cap space before MCD signs that deal, not sure how they fit everyone in without trading someone like RNH?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Oilers are in tough shape moving forward. Hard to argue that MCD isn't worth that contract, but what is Draisaitl going to get? Reports are 9M/yr for 8 years as an ask? What about Nurse & Strome next offseason as RFAs? Maroon will want a decent raise as well.

They have 19 mil in cap space before MCD signs that deal, not sure how they fit everyone in without trading someone like RNH?

Lucky for Edmonton that Chiarelli is a wiz with cap management

Chiarelli has made some horrible signs and drafts

1. Ference
2. Pouliot - buying out now
3. Sekera- too much
4. 17 & 33 for Reinhart

Glorydaze within 5 minutes of that deal texted me and said this is a very bad move who the hell thinks Reinhart is worth this. Joe had seen Reinhart a couple times recently playing in Springfield for Bridgeport and told me he was not impressed with many key areas of his game

He's in Vegas and Chara pissed away the eventual Barzal pick but had the choice of guys like Konecny White Connor Chabot and Carlo at 33

He gives McDavid $14 M per what is he going to pay Draisaitl, Nurse, even Maroon

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Oilers have no choice really. Signing McDavid for that salary is about the same percentage of total team salary as other superstars have signed in the past. In the case of the Pens they lucked out with Sid's big contract that the cap has gone up a lot since the signing so they have been able to retain/acquire some very good players during that stretch and be a major force over the past couple years. Now his contract is not such a huge pct of overall team salary. The Oilers will need something similar to happen if they hope to retain/acquire good players. Chia is going to have to make some very tough decision in the coming few years for sure.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Buying out a player is always a stupid move.

It was stupid by Sweeney to buy out Seids last year.
It's stupid for Chia to buy out Pouliot.
It will always be the most stupid outcome.

Very poor GMing.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The same stratosphere? Just a bit of an exaggeration. McDavid is a great player, unfortunately hockey isn't basketball where one player can have a much greater impact on the game. If McDavid was smart, he would sign a big contract, but not one so big that it's going to handcuff the team.

Exactly. Does anyone really think the Bruins wouldn't have paid more for Bergeron if he asked for it? (And no, I'm not saying they would have or should have paid all the way up to $13 million for him.)

Obviously i don't know Bergeron personally, but my guess is he signed his current contract knowing it would allow the team more cap room. On one of his previous extensions I remember reading that he said he knew he was going to say yes no matter what.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

1. Ference
3. Sekera- too much
4. 17 & 33 for Reinhart

Glorydaze within 5 minutes of that deal texted me and said this is a very bad move who the hell thinks Reinhart is worth this. Joe had seen Reinhart a couple times recently playing in Springfield for Bridgeport and told me he was not impressed with many key areas of his game

He's in Vegas and Chara pissed away the eventual Barzal pick but had the choice of guys like Konecny White Connor Chabot and Carlo at 33

He gives McDavid $14 M per what is he going to pay Draisaitl, Nurse, even Maroon

Chia didn't sign Pouliot, that was done in 2014 before he got there.

He didn't sign Ference in Edmonton either.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland

1. Ference
3. Sekera- too much
4. 17 & 33 for Reinhart

But I am definately enjoying watching his "great" cap managemnt. On the bright side he makes Sweeney look better with every desperate reactionary move. At least with Sweeny it feels like he has a plan of growing prospects. EDM is...doing...something....

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

He didn't sign him but he's the one buying him out.

Plain stupid.

Why not trade him for FC or even with a pick to a team needing to reach the floor like Ari at 50% retained instead?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

He would have if he had the chance so I'm counting it since it helps my argument

Bruins also traded for Rask when Chiarelli was still in Ottawa

Guys sneaky

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Hard to argue CM isn`t worth every penny he`ll get but 13.25, if my math is even close is what? 17-18% of the cap space of the Oilers? Man o man

Worth the money easy but will effect who is around him down the road.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He didn't sign him but he's the one buying him out.

Plain stupid.

Why not trade him for FC or even with a pick to a team needing to reach the floor like Ari at 50% retained instead?

Maybe he tried and he couldn't pull it off.

Sweeney pretty much said he exhausted all options last year before buying out Seidenberg, who wouldn't be in the league right now if not for a chance to perform in front of the hockey world at the World Cup.

I have a bigger issue with buying a guy out only to not even use his cap space like Sweeney did last year. Maybe this year he will, although the savings is less than 2 million.

No doubt Chia will use every penny he saves on paying Pouliot to play for someone else.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Oilers have no choice really. Signing McDavid for that salary is about the same percentage of total team salary as other superstars have signed in the past. In the case of the Pens they lucked out with Sid's big contract that the cap has gone up a lot since the signing so they have been able to retain/acquire some very good players during that stretch and be a major force over the past couple years. Now his contract is not such a huge pct of overall team salary. The Oilers will need something similar to happen if they hope to retain/acquire good players. Chia is going to have to make some very tough decision in the coming few years for sure.

It's not the MCD signing that's the problem, as you and others have pointed out, it's on par cap% wise with what Crosby, Ovie, etc made/make.

The problem is that they have way too many people coming up for deals, and have overpaid, either in dollars or term for other players (sound familiar??) that are going to severely hinder their ability to ice a true contending team in a few years.

That Lucic deal looks worse by the day. Sekera has the potential to be an awful contract too.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's not the MCD signing that's the problem, as you and others have pointed out, it's on par cap% wise with what Crosby, Ovie, etc made/make.

The problem is that they have way too many people coming up for deals, and have overpaid, either in dollars or term for other players (sound familiar??) that are going to severely hinder their ability to ice a true contending team in a few years.

That Lucic deal looks worse by the day. Sekera has the potential to be an awful contract too.

Crosby makes, if not mistaken, 8.7 mill, with Geno making over 9, Kessel just under 7 and Letang over 7 and in Chicago Toews/Kane combo 20 mill + yikes

with a barely rising cap in certain years, those contracts just bite ya but I`m sure both teams, with a combined 5 cups in recent years between them aren`t complaining but it`ll bite them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad