Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If that’s the case, why would Ottawa trade him?
In an attempt to keep Karlsson? I really think that relationship is already very strained (given the organizations piss poor state and the bizarre exchange between him and Melnyk), but having to go to team functions and see Hoffman's girlfriend around after this crap doesn't seem so desirable for Erik or his wife.
With that said I might reluctantly take a chance on Hoffman for dirt cheap. I tend to agree with Zip. What his girlfriend does certainly reflects on him and not in a good way, but I find it hard to hold him responsible in any significant way for what she does unless he knew and or participated in it as well. I've known several people that I like quite a bit that are or have been in relationships with just plain shitty people. Doesn't make them a shitty person simply by association.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I’d still take Hoffman.

Even IF true, it doesn’t mean anything to the type of player or teammate that Hoffman is.

Not with the fragile state of our locker room

We need these guys to be pulling in the same direction.

It's also a moot point . He has a 10 team ntc . buffalo is on it

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
In an attempt to keep Karlsson? I really think that relationship is already very strained (given the organizations piss poor state and the bizarre exchange between him and Melnyk), but having to go to team functions and see Hoffman's girlfriend around after this crap doesn't seem so desirable for Erik or his wife.
With that said I might reluctantly take a chance on Hoffman for dirt cheap. I tend to agree with Zip. What his girlfriend does certainly reflects on him and not in a good way, but I find it hard to hold him responsible in any significant way for what she does unless he knew and or participated in it as well. I've known several people that I like quite a bit that are or have been in relationships with just plain ****ty people. Doesn't make them a ****ty person simply by association.

I was replying to him saying Hoffman is a good teammate and good in the locker room.

I disagree and his value on the trade market will show that. GM’s around the league know what’s going on. If Hoffman is not a problem his trade value will not decline.

Sit back and watch.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
We just got rid of Kane..don't need another off-ice distraction.

If the alligations are true and Hoffman backed it up he is basically not tradeable.

There is no easy solution...the Sens are in a pretty dire situation right now

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Innocent until proven guilty. Oh wait this is the era of guilty even when proven innocent. :laugh:

Let's say she did do it..that doesn't make Hoffman a bad person for staying with her. I know several women that stay with abusive boyfriends/husbands, does that make them terrible women too?
Sometimes people refuse to see the monster that is right in front of them.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Both Andrew Hammond's and Kyle Turris' wives have tweeted out that it is basically true and have backed up Karrlsson's wife in this situation. There is a lot more to this story then just a few random online accounts. The fact Hoffman is still with her speaks to his judgement and character. I don't want that type of drama around a locker room that already has its problems.

Good god, man. Perhaps she's a terrible person. Maybe she - not Hoffman - is guilty of exercising very poor judgment. Perhaps she didn't do this at all. Pump the breaks a bit here.

Does ROR's wife have poor judgment and character because she continues to be with an individual who, more likely that not, got hammered, got behind the wheel of a car, and drove through a Tim Horton's, which could've caused significant bodily harm, or worse? Get off your high horse.

Not with the fragile state of our locker room

We need these guys to be pulling in the same direction.

It's also a moot point . He has a 10 team ntc . buffalo is on it

If a player WAG is going to upend our locker room and our season, we're not very good anyways.

Ah, the dog days of HF, where we debate the effect of adding a player whose girlfriend may or may not be a terrible person. Is the draft and free agency here yet? Please?

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You stay clear of the Hoffman situation in terms of any potential trades because you don't want the publicity and investigation to distract from hockey - even if it's the offseason, not because you are judging the character of anyone involved, nor their knowledge of the issue, nor their guilt and innocence. You just stay clear of it so you can focus on hockey.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Good god, man. Perhaps she's a terrible person. Maybe she - not Hoffman - is guilty of exercising very poor judgment. Perhaps she didn't do this at all. Pump the breaks a bit here.

Does ROR's wife have poor judgment and character because she continues to be with an individual who, more likely that not, got hammered, got behind the wheel of a car, and drove through a Tim Horton's, which could've caused significant bodily harm, or worse? Get off your high horse.

If a player WAG is going to upend our locker room and our season, we're not very good anyways.

Ah, the dog days of HF, where we debate the effect of adding a player whose girlfriend may or may not be a terrible person. Is the draft and free agency here yet? Please?

I mean, it isn't the fact that Hoffman's Fiance reportedly is an awful person. That's.....neither here nor there. The issue is Buffalo is in a fragile place. We AREN'T very good. How do you think an 18 year old Dahlin would handle the inevitable question from the Buffalo News trolls "How do you feel about your new teammates girlfriends treatment of your countryman? Have you talked to Erik about it?" or questions of Hoffman's Fiance doesn't do stuff with the "Sabres Wives" charity stuff and players being asked "Was she not invited, did she decline?"

It's one thing if something crops up over the course of the season naturally. Then you deal with it. But to invite that kind of distraction? Not as we are as a team. Too young with too much to deal with on the ice. Hoffman needs to go to a large non Canadian market where it'll be a few questions during the intro press conference and that's it. And as I said in my previous post....Hoffman has a 10 team NTC and already turned down a trade to Winnipeg. I guarantee you we are on the NTC list.

Reactions: Chainshot

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I was replying to him saying Hoffman is a good teammate and good in the locker room.

I disagree and his value on the trade market will show that. GM’s around the league know what’s going on. If Hoffman is not a problem his trade value will not decline.

Sit back and watch.
I know what you were responding to. I'm pointing out that he could be a good teammate and good in the locker room and still be on the market. His trade value will decline if Ottawa feels forced to move him due to potential tension between him and Karlsson.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Time to make an off-season thread?

I think Dingo44 posted a timeline in the RFA thread.

I think the sequence is:
Buyout window 6/15???
Early UFA discussion / negotiation window.
Draft 6/22 & 23
RFA QO deadline 6/25???

Mods calls, but we already have 2 or 3 of the 4 topics in separate threads. Start a separate threads for the other(s), then after July ~8th or so, go to a generic offseason thread????

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

You're the GM of a Basketball Team... a good player is available in the trade market.... you come to find out his wife is an outright racist. She has a social media history of vile bigotry, hate speech, etc.

Are you bringing that player into your lockerroom?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You're the GM of a Basketball Team... a good player is available in the trade market.... you come to find out his wife is an outright racist. She has a social media history of vile bigotry, hate speech, etc.

Who's the player? If it's Anthony Davis, yes, without thinking twice. If it's Nick Young, the calculus is different. Tony Parker nailed his teammate's wife and continued gainful employment from the same team, FFS. If you can play, that **** doesn't matter.

Also, these are allegations at this point. It's startling how many on this forum want Hoffman's career to be affected because his girlfriend may be, at worst, a horrible human being or simply guilty of making very poor decisions. Further, all of this assumes that this individual will continue acting in this way. If I'm Hoffman, I'm probably ditching the girl, because I know that there are many GMs and front offices who think like you and others on this board, regardless of the veracity of the allegations. But if he doesn't, I don't think it should affect his career prospects.

Additionally, I believe it's more than a bit hypocritical that so many are loathe to trade away a guy who held out on his teammates and very likely drove drunk into a ****ing building - I would prefer we don't trade him, FWIW - yet are worried sick about the effect of Mike Hoffman's girlfriend.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Who's the player? If it's Anthony Davis, yes, without thinking twice. If it's Nick Young, the calculus is different.

It's the Mike Hoffman of NBAers...

Also, these are allegations at this point.

Yes... all this commentary is under the assumption of guilt... if we learn something new about the case, and this girl is totally innocent, then we can have a new conversation

It's startling how many on this forum want Hoffman's career to be affected because his girlfriend may be, at worst, a horrible human being or simply guilty of making very poor decisions. Further, all of this assumes that this individual will continue acting in this way.

Our allegiance is to the best interest of the Sabres. It's risk management.

Further, I believe it's more than a bit hypocritical that so many are loathe to trade away a guy who held out on his teammates and very likely drove drunk into a building - I would prefer we don't trade him, FWIW - yet are worried sick about the effect of Mike Hoffman's girlfriend.

That's an interesting framing.

If you believe ROR quit on his teammates, you should want to trade him. I watched him play nearly every game, and I never saw that on the ice.

We should always be worried about introducing distracting, disturbing, negative, etc elements to the lockerroom.... there's no good reason to add to the portfolio of risk that needs to be managed. It's one thing to deal with what already exists (if you believe ROR is in that realm).... it's a completely different thing to invite more of it in.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah it might be time for some bookkeeping, and to put this particular thread to bed. It served it’s time well.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Depends. This is where open communication and a sound leadership core comes into play. If I'm the GM, and I'm bringing in a guy with a girlfriend with these issues, I'm talking to my head coach, and the core of players on the team that lead and are the glue of the team. If they have a problem with the situation, then I probably balk at the idea of bringing the player in. If the leadership and coach have no issue about it, then I bring them in, and make sure they(the player and their SO) know the rules about this sort of stuff in the organization knowing full well my coaching staff has a fair and utilized "discipline system" about this sort of stuff.

If Botts has an option of bringing Hoffman on this team, and they are found guilty, I don't think he should bring him in. Moreso because of how little discipline there seems to be on this team. If we had a leadership core of what we had in the Drury days, I would without hesitation take Hoffman. Putting him on the current or even Roy-era days, absolutely not.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Innocent until proven guilty. Oh wait this is the era of guilty even when proven innocent. :laugh:

Let's say she did do it..that doesn't make Hoffman a bad person for staying with her. I know several women that stay with abusive boyfriends/husbands, does that make them terrible women too?
Sometimes people refuse to see the monster that is right in front of them.
The difference here is the power dynamic. With an abusive relationship, the one being abused stays because the abuser wields power over them, perceived or real.

Unless there is something strange we don't know about, Hoffman is in the position of power here. He doesn't need to stay with the girl.

This is a bad comparison. You're talking about a premeditated, sustained campaign of attacks vs. a one-time lapse in judgement.

Good people make mistakes. They can own up to their mistakes and make efforts to not make that mistake again.

What this girl supposedly did is not a mistake. It's a deep flaw in her character and her learned behavior.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
In general, people who need to vilify / put down other people to make themselves feel better aren't the best quality / character people from both a self-worth and valuing others standpoint.
(Regardless of who is the actual vilifier in the Hoffman situation behind the tweets.)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The difference here is the power dynamic. With an abusive relationship, the one being abused stays because the abuser wields power over them, perceived or real.

Unless there is something strange we don't know about, Hoffman is in the position of power here. He doesn't need to stay with the girl.

This is a bad comparison. You're talking about a premeditated, sustained campaign of attacks vs. a one-time lapse in judgement.

Good people make mistakes. They can own up to their mistakes and make efforts to not make that mistake again.

What this girl supposedly did is not a mistake. It's a deep flaw in her character and her learned behavior.

Not surprisingly, I disagree with most of what you say. First, in re ROR, you assume that driving while intoxicated was a one-time mistake; statistically speaking, we know that for those who engage in drunk driving, it's often much more than a one-time thing. (Say nothing for the lapse in judgment when considering how much ROR had to lose, and how easily he could have avoided the situation in light of his financial means.) Second, the consequences of ROR's actions could have been far worse than anything Hoffman's wife allegedly did - I'm fairly confident that had there been an employee on the other side of that Timmy Ho's wall, the employee's loved ones wouldn't have lent much credence to your distinction between a "one-time lapse" and "sustained behavior." Third, ROR, and ROR alone, controlled the behavior at issue; people are condemning Hoffman for the actions of someone else.

I'd love to know how many would be okay with some sort of adverse affect on their career (e.g., pay cut, demotion, etc.) if it was found out that their spouse repeatedly called a coworker's spouse vulgar names, or otherwise directed vitriol at the coworker's spouse, on social media. I think we all know that answer.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What has happened to Karlsson and his wife is nothing shy of sick. Whoever is responsible for it is the absolute dredge of humanity and deserves anything and everything they have coming to them once it's uncovered.

I actually feel bad for Sens fans. There team is somehow more of a joke and sideshow than the sabres have been the past few seasons. I hope Melnyk is forced to sell and the front office gets gutted like a christmas ham. Fans deserve better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad