Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Not surprisingly, I disagree with most of what you say. First, in re ROR, you assume that driving while intoxicated was a one-time mistake; statistically speaking, we know that for those who engage in drunk driving, it's often much more than a one-time thing. (Say nothing for the lapse in judgment when considering how much ROR had to lose, and how easily he could have avoided the situation in light of his financial means.)
Yes, I have to assume because there is no evidence otherwise, aside from what is statistically probable.

Second, the consequences of ROR's actions could have been far worse than anything Hoffman's wife allegedly did
Yes, could have. What ROR did is not OK either.

I'm fairly confident that had there been an employee on the other side of that Timmy Ho's wall, the employee's loved ones wouldn't have lent much credence to your distinction between a "one-time lapse" and "sustained behavior."
Context is important here. Of course it wouldn't matter to those affected. You're moving the goal posts.

Intent matters too, when talking about the how the person's partner chooses to deal with the behavior. Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly intended to cause harm, distress. ROR was negligent. Some partners may not care about the distinction, but it's easy to see why one might.

Third, ROR, and ROR alone, controlled the behavior at issue; people are condemning Hoffman for the actions of someone else.
The original point was about why would Hoffman choose to stay with someone who did what this girl allegedly did, then the comparison to ROR was made and how his gf/wife may have handled it. We are talking about the partners of the wrong-doers, not comparing Hoffman and O'Reilly directly.

I'd love to know how many would be okay with some sort of adverse affect on their career (e.g., pay cut, demotion, etc.) if it was found out that their spouse repeatedly called a coworker's spouse vulgar names, or otherwise directed vitriol at the coworker's spouse, on social media. I think we all know that answer.
I don't know what your point is here.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Professional athletes do and say the same kind of dumb, stupid, negligent, foolish, immature, animosity-ladden, ill-considered, crass, uncaring, self-aggrandizing, dangerous-to-others things that most every other demographic of society does, they just get TSN / TMZ / other media / paparazzi spotlight when it happens.

Enough of that crap happens naturally in the course of human existence. The Sabres don't need to move one of those shiny object situations under their Buffalo spotlight.

Reactions: oldgoalie

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The comparison works better if RoR hit Kyle Okposso's house, as he was recovering from death's door.

Intentionally and repeatedly.

Reactions: vcv

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I remember when i was a kid going to Niagara vs Oshawa games when the met in the playoffs and guys like John Tavares, Alex Pietrangelo and Grubauer where playing. Crazy to think these guys are all legit vets in the NHL now. I'll always remember Niagara fans getting Grubauer off his game with the "Grubauer, Grubauer, Grubauer you suck" chant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->