Around the NHL: Part XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
The new NHL deal with ESPN means ESPN Plus now has the streaming rights. There is no more NHL TV on the NHL app or NHL.com.

Disney’s new hockey deal will see over 1,000 NHL games stream on ESPN Plus

I had NHL TV and I would watch the games on the NHL TV app on Roku and Apple TV.

That option will not be available anymore. Their commercials were annoying.

ESPN Plus will have all of the games. ESPN Plus is cheaper than NHL TV and you will also receive the other ESPN Plus content. ESPN is increasing the price next Friday August 13. If you want to save $10, make sure to sign up before that date.

ESPN Plus Cost to Rise - Variety

I hope ESPN Plus provides more than one feed of a game.
I think they do, if you go to some of the playoff games they have on there, you can choose which feed you want. This was a concern of mine as well, no reason to think that would change when the season starts.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
When did Nurse become a $9M+ player?
I noticed he was a beast in FANTASY hockey but when does translate into $9M?
I guess when you compare it to Trouba's contract though, it makes 1000% sense. sigh.

and Fox gets more than both. Avoid Eichel, status quo the Rangers will have cap problems

Reactions: brakeyawself

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Lindgren isn’t BFFs with McDavid though.

That is literally the only rationale I can even come up with for this.

But he’s BFFs with Fox. Fox will take a little hometown discount to be a blue shirt, but only if the savings go to homeboy Lindy. :sarcasm:
9210A3D0-2E03-4A9D-9E05-3A73D4CEA400.jpeg

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Lindgren isn’t BFFs with McDavid though.

That is literally the only rationale I can even come up with for this.

think this is more like werenski...both had a lot of leverage. not the most desirable destinations for most free agents, and esp in cbj case a place where several have walked and/or demanded out of very recently. nurse is very good at the game he plays and while hes def being overpaid, edm would have a very hard time replacing him on the open market at all, regardless of price. he and his agent know this, edm knows this...they met somewhere thats overpaid but not crippling, although it torpedo some options down the line should they advance to the point they're a piece or two away from really having a chance at a cup.

i mean nurse is a legit top pairing dman who plays a mean game. he's not gonna put up real sexy point totals, although 16g in 56 games this year is pretty impressive, but he's very solid defensively and brings a presence to a lineup. if you're edm with mcdavid in his prime and you let him go how do you justify that / attempt to replace him? because not many top pairing d hit ufa in their prime, most that do are not particularly attracted to edm. nurse took advantage of that and got his beyond max value which is nice for him.

on the home front, i don't think those contracts impact fox. he forced his way here, he's a local kid and wants to win - in a cap world thats gonna mean leaving some on the table. i'd be stunned if he demanded a nurse kind of number. makar is a better benchmark, tbh my guesstimate for his cap hit is 8.5mm.

Reactions: Tob

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I wouldn't consider trading Trouba for Pionk for even a hot second, Dom.

But thanks for the infotainment.
I mean, he's coming out and saying based on new information presented he was wrong lol. isn't this what people want from the stats people on twitter?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I mean, he's coming out and saying based on new information presented he was wrong lol. isn't this what people want from the stats people on twitter?

The problem with data and stats is that we can push the interpretations in different directions and include or omit context that completely changes the discussion.

The reality is that Pionk was neither as bad as his previous interpretation, nor as good as his current interpretation.

And therein is part of the problem with the new generation of sports reporting and analysis, you can make the outcome whatever you want when you're the one writing the rules of the game.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Good for Neal. But he’s really so unspectacular. I can’t even understand how peg fans truly perceive him since his value is only tied to getting rid of Trouba.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pionk has found a niche for himself in Winnipeg. He kind of gets the role by default because of the guys they've lost over the year, but he's also made the most of it.

He gets his powerplay points, he plays with some really good players and he's in a position he would never be in for the Rangers --- not with Fox here.

I like Pionk. I never got the vitriol some people has for him. Having said that, I just don't know if you're going anywhere with Pionk as a crucial, key player for you. I really don't, success notwithstanding.

Pionk in many ways kind of reminds of Ryan Strome, and even someone like JT Miller. They put up points, you probably acquired them for a reasonable price. But they also never come cross as core players --- at least if you're being truly honest with yourself. Maybe on a stacked team in a support role. But not as one of your first waves of attack or a first line of defense.

Interestingly enough, and somewhat unrelated to Pionk, I feel like Trouba is also in an ideal spot for himself. Playing behind an elite defenseman like Fox, and paired with someone like Miller has a good shot to really give the Rangers a dangerous top-4.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I wouldn't consider trading Trouba for Pionk for even a hot second, Dom.

But thanks for the infotainment.

The only reason I wouldn’t trade Trouba for Pionk is we just don’t need more offensive Dmen that can actually produce offensively. If we didn’t have Fox, Lundqvist, Miller, Jones, I’d prefer Pionk.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The only reason I wouldn’t trade Trouba for Pionk is we just don’t need more offensive Dmen that can actually produce offensively. If we didn’t have Fox, Lundqvist, Miller, Jones, I’d prefer Pionk.

Personally, I still wouldn't take Pionk over him. Even taking out other players, I feel like they are deployed in opposite ways.

Trouba is the guy who goes out there and takes a lot of the really shitty assignments so someone like Pionk can face more favorable matchups. I think Pionk has done well for himself. But if it's game 7 and tied, I'm riding guys like Fox and Trouba for 30+. I'm not even considering that with Pionk.

Reactions: ecemleafs

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
man, Jumbo signing in FLA makes me want to root for them as my 2nd eastern conference team this year. If Spencer Knight (and possibly Lundell) emerge this year, they can go deep.
Thornton lifting the cup would give me Ray Bourque feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad