Around the NHL: Part XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Ladies and Gentlemen, here they are the Mon...ti...fiore...New...York...Rangersssss

AB88FD6C-F6DE-4310-84ED-165E90B87EF4.jpeg
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping they add on “get vaccinated”

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Imagine if they just sold the beers for $6-8. Sales would triple. At $12 a beer I’m not even buying one. No point. Can’t afford enough to even get a buzz. At $6 I might buy 4-5. By the time I’m done with #4 my inhibitions about spending are lower and I’m just having a good time. Shit, I might even buy a jersey after #5. If I can get a buzz at a game for $24, I will. If I can't get a buzz without spending $48, I won't.

So you can make $0 off me at $12 per, or $24+ off me at $6 per. One thing I’ve never really understood about modern business models. Isn’t there a sweet spot at which sales are high enough due to lower prices to negate/surpass the profit of the higher price? It just doesn’t feel like it’s possible that they make more selling $12 beers than they would selling $8.

It probably has something to do with limiting peoples consumption while also turning an even greater profit. Cheap beers would lead to more sales, but also drunker fans and more problems.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It probably has something to do with limiting peoples consumption while also turning an even greater profit. Cheap beers would lead to more sales, but also drunker fans and more problems.

I don't know about all the rest of you, but I've just been pre-gaming Rangers games with whiskey on the train or drinks elsewhere in the city for years, so the intoxication level isn't any different; MSG just isn't the one getting my money :laugh:

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Jersey ads are a necessary evil. The patch will look awful on a Rangers sweater and I certainly will never, ever purchase another NHL jersey in my life, but I understand why they are here. If it helps the cap move up faster then fine.
Agreed and you can still buy the $25 ones from China that look like the real thing.

Reactions: leetch99

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I don't know about all the rest of you, but I've just been pre-gaming Rangers games with whiskey on the train or drinks elsewhere in the city for years, so the intoxication level isn't any different; MSG just isn't the one getting my money :laugh:
Yes very easy to crush 2-3 tall boys on the train ride then stop at a bar for a few more to prime for the rest of the game.

The only time I drink there is if a client is paying lol.

Reactions: LokiDog

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
"you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming" to permit them. - 2015, Gary Bettman

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Looking at rosters - Full Stop on Buffalo. 90 percent of the roster is depth/AHL players. Its really a travesty for the fan base. Losing to Buffalo this year will be an uproar for every media outlet.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Listening to NHL radio on Sirius and they just said that the City of Glendale is terminating contract with the Coyotes due to a bearch of contract.

Arizona is going to need to find a new home ASAP. I think this season is the last in Glendale for them.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Listening to NHL radio on Sirius and they just said that the City of Glendale is terminating contract with the Coyotes due to a bearch of contract.

Arizona is going to need to find a new home ASAP. I think this season is the last in Glendale for them.

I think at this point the Coyotes have already more than paid their cosmic debt for employing Chayka.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

It's a photo finish between the Yotes and Isles for most times homeless NHL team.

Reactions: leetch99 and Cmox

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

More on the action by the City of Glendale. The Coyotes have been operating in one years leases for the last several years. This will be the last one.

A new building has been discussed on land in Tempe but the earliest that would be available is 2025-26 and it is at best a very long shot. The Coyotes are not welcome in the Suns Arena, which is not built for hockey,. The only alternative (and not a very good one) is the Memorial Coliseum on the State Fairgrounds, which has not hosted events regularly in 30 years.
https://theathletic.com/2778340/202...er-2021-22-season/?source=user_shared_article
'Point of no return': Glendale to boot Coyotes from Gila River Arena after 2021-22 season

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Tempe put out a RFP for an arena. The Coyotes would the most logical tenant. They’ve been living off one-year leases in Glendale for a while now. But any arena in Tempe would not be ready for years. This seems like posturing by Glendale to get the Coyotes to lock into a longer term lease. Glendale has 12 years of bonds left to pay on their building.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Tempe put out a RFP for an arena. The Coyotes would the most logical tenant. They’ve been living off one-year leases in Glendale for a while now. But any arena in Tempe would not be ready for years. This seems like posturing by Glendale to get the Coyotes to lock into a longer term lease. Glendale has 12 years of bonds left to pay on their building.
Is Tucson an option? Only because it would help people spell the city correctly through constant exposure.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
More on the action by the City of Glendale. The Coyotes have been operating in one years leases for the last several years. This will be the last one.

A new building has been discussed on land in Tempe but the earliest that would be available is 2025-26 and it is at best a very long shot. The Coyotes are not welcome in the Suns Arena, which is not built for hockey,. The only alternative (and not a very good one) is the Memorial Coliseum on the State Fairgrounds, which has not hosted events regularly in 30 years.
'Point of no return': Glendale to boot Coyotes from Gila River Arena after 2021-22 season

If the Coyotes want to say in the Phoenix area, it seems to me it would make the most sense for the Coyotes and Suns to join up and play in a new arena somewhere near or in downtown Phoenix. The Suns owner, I've read, wants nothing to do with that idea.

I imagine the people in Quebec City had their ears perked up when the announcement of Glendale opting out of the lease agreement with the Coyotes, but I can't fathom the NHL/Gary Bettman allowing to team to move from a significant U.S. market to a Canadian one, especially after signing their TV deals with ESPN/Turner (the Atlanta Thrashers had nowhere else to go but Winnipeg). Cities like Houston, Oklahoma City, Kansas City would be the most mentioned options for relocation. Not to mention it would screw up the divisional alignments.

It would be a shame for Coyotes fans if the team moves, but that franchise has been on thin ice since Day 1 after they moved there from Winnipeg, through bad owners, bad location for an arena, bad teams on the ice. It's time for the NHL/Bettman to finally cut the cord.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If the Coyotes want to say in the Phoenix area, it seems to me it would make the most sense for the Coyotes and Suns to join up and play in a new arena somewhere near or in downtown Phoenix. The Suns owner, I've read, wants nothing to do with that idea.

I imagine the people in Quebec City had their ears perked up when the announcement of Glendale opting out of the lease agreement with the Coyotes, but I can't fathom the NHL/Gary Bettman allowing to team to move from a significant U.S. market to a Canadian one, especially after signing their TV deals with ESPN/Turner (the Atlanta Thrashers had nowhere else to go but Winnipeg). Cities like Houston, Oklahoma City, Kansas City would be the most mentioned options for relocation. Not to mention it would screw up the divisional alignments.

It would be a shame for Coyotes fans if the team moves, but that franchise has been on thin ice since Day 1 after they moved there from Winnipeg, through bad owners, bad location for an arena, bad teams on the ice. It's time for the NHL/Bettman to finally cut the cord.
The City of Phoenix just spent over $200MM renovating the Suns Arena. The seating bowl is not conducive to hockey.same situation as Barclay’s. The Suns owner, who controls the building, wants no part of the Coyotes. Bottom line, that’s not an option.

Getting another building built in this market has been and continues to be a long shot. There will be no government money. The location they are toying with now is pretty good real estate but we are talking (at the earliest) a 2025-26 season opening. It will also be 100% private capital and I doubt Meruillo has anywhere near the resources to pull it off.

There are a lot of loyal fans here. Just not enough of them. The current building is excellent for hockey but the team has complained about the location since day two. The Cardinals Stadium is right next door and they do fine. Yes, it’s a tough commute from the east side during the week but it’s not a problem on the weekends or holidays.

I could go on for hours about all of the things they have done wrong here. My entire post hockey and journalism career was in marketing so I understand how to move product.. They have been brain dead in promoting the team. I offered to help on numerous occasions without a response.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad