Around the NHL: Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Im confused. Didn’t you just post stats above that show Hughes had a stronger CF than Kakko? You also left out that part where Hughes scored 14 more points. How was Kakko more impactful? I’d love to see those quality of competition metrics as well. I’d wager Hughes played in much less favorable matchups throughout the year.

Only in Kaapo Kakko land is giveaway/takeaway ratio so important. Jack Hughes gives away the puck more because it’s literally on his stick the entire time he’s on the ice.

Keep moving those goalposts though!
I left points out because of how significantly higher ice time Hughes has. The fact I have to state that to you is annoying but whatever...

Hughes had a much better quality of linemates.

And since he had better quality linemates that washes out tougher matches up. Imo

and giveaway/takeaway ratio is only important in Kakko land... and Stone land.. and Bergeron land.. and Datsyuk land.... I can keep going if you want?

Kakko will be there better player. He won’t put up as many points as Hughes but I’d take a two way physical player over a center who can’t win face offs to save his life and is a liability in the defensive end.

oh and Hughes had a better CF because the rangers were a black hole this season the fact that Kakko is that close is amazing.

Not trying to be a dick just want people to understand how f***ing good Kakko already is and how good he will be

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Hughes dominating us is just wrong. He looks like he has high end skill, and he will be a hell of a player, but our kids were the dominant ones in that matchup this year.

While on the ice with Hughes (TOI - CF/CA - GF/GA):

Lafreniere (31:52 - 41/19 - 2/2)
Kakko (21:28 - 30/16 - 0/0)
Miller (41:15 - 51/23 - 0/3)
Chytil (25:43 - 37/17 - 0/2)

They were outscored, but they vastly outchanced when matched up against him.

That's per NST

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fair enough. Thanks for pulling that stat. Very surprising.

Still doesn’t change that the selective stats in the OP don’t support Kakko being a better player than Hughes. Giveaway to takeaway ratio does not make a player.

It doesn't, but it shouldn't be ignored.

The difference in their production really comes down to Hughes getting off to a hot start and Kakko doing the opposite (at least production wise.) Kakko's production really started to pick up a bit the 2nd half of the year as he was stuck on 4 points for a while. Hughes started hot, slowed down and then picked it up a bit towards the end. We can't really ignore the ATOI either, 4 and a half minutes more per a game is a massive amount.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I left points out because of how significantly higher ice time Hughes has. The fact I have to state that to you is annoying but whatever...

Hughes had a much better quality of linemates.

And since he had better quality linemates that washes out tougher matches up. Imo

and giveaway/takeaway ratio is only important in Kakko land... and Stone land.. and Bergeron land.. and Datsyuk land.... I can keep going if you want?

Kakko will be there better player. He won’t put up as many points as Hughes but I’d take a two way physical player over a center who can’t win face offs to save his life and is a liability in the defensive end.

oh and Hughes had a better CF because the rangers were a black hole this season the fact that Kakko is that close is amazing.

Not trying to be a dick just want people to understand how f***ing good Kakko already is and how good he will be

You’re not being a dick (though please don’t call me chief again). I enjoy a good debate - especially when there are stats involved.

Kakko is going to be a great player. This season has me sure of that. But i believe Hughes is a lot better and am confident that will be the case moving forward. That’s okay too, because we have an embarrassment of riches that Devils fans couldn’t even dream of.

It annoys me when we have the audacity to call Devils fans immature in a Hughes vs Kakko debate though. I see plenty of grown men on this board act like children hurling insults at Hughes. It has been the case for two years now. We’re not better.

Reactions: Richard Banger

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
You’re not being a dick (though please don’t call me chief again). I enjoy a good debate - especially when there are stats involved.

Kakko is going to be a great player. This season has me sure of that. But i believe Hughes is a lot better and am confident that will be the case moving forward. That’s okay too, because we have an embarrassment of riches that Devils fans couldn’t even dream of.

It annoys me when we have the audacity to call Devils fans immature in a Hughes vs Kakko debate though. I see plenty of grown men on this board act like children hurling insults at Hughes. It has been the case for two years now. We’re not better.
I meant no disrespect with the chief thing lol. But from my point of view I will take the more naturally gifted player (physically wise) over the more skilled. Especially since they are both very skilled. I think Kakko tops out at 215 lbs and will be a lot like Hossa in his prime. I think Hughes will be like Hall. Elite talent puts up points but that’s really it. And the rumor going around is HGH is going to make its way into the NHL. If that’s the case Kakko Laf and Chytil are about to be very scary human freaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I meant no disrespect with the chief thing lol. But from my point of view I will take the more naturally gifted player (physically wise) over the more skilled. Especially since they are both very skilled. I think Kakko tops out at 215 lbs and will be a lot like Hossa in his prime. I think Hughes will be like Hall. Elite talent puts up points but that’s really it. And the rumor going around is HDH is going to make its way into the NHL. If that’s the case Kakko Laf and Chytil are about to be very scary human freaks.

HDH?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
What a fortunate coincidence Kucherov makes it back just on time for the play offs after an injury that incidentally fixed Tampa's salary cap issues.
Honestly, what’s preventing the Rangers from saying “f*** the cap” and just doing this? I’m sure Panarin is bored of playing regular season games. This team will probably end up being good enough to make the playoffs without him in a couple of years. Groin injuries. Equipment allergies. Why not?

Reactions: Kaapo Hollweg

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
One of the worst calls I've ever seen by the refs in the Tampa game disallowing a perfectly good Panthers goal. That call was so bad NHL match fixing really comes into play.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
That's the thing, does anyone else feel like it's been ages since we've boarded or done something dirty in the last 3 years? We've been goody two shoes by league standards.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Honestly, what’s preventing the Rangers from saying “f*** the cap” and just doing this? I’m sure Panarin is bored of playing regular season games. This team will probably end up being good enough to make the playoffs without him in a couple of years. Groin injuries. Equipment allergies. Why not?

The fact that we aren't likely to make the playoffs without Panarin? The fact the Panarin would have to have a legitimate injury in order to be placed on LTIR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad