Around the NHL: Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As I scan newspapers across North America this morning, I am surprised how many are saying the one team they don’t want to run up against in the playoffs is the Rangers

Before the suspension Rangers were coming together, starting to make that transition from rebuild team to a competitive team. Throw in Igor there, and they can do some damage.

Reactions: McSauer

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
As I scan newspapers across North America this morning, I am surprised how many are saying the one team they don’t want to run up against in the playoffs is the Rangers
A stud goalie and a young dynamic team.

We are dangerous. Even more so when teams may take some time to get 'back to normal'.

Reactions: McSauer

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If anything, I think we're worse off than if the playoffs/play-ins had started right after the last games of the regular season. The Rangers had a huge amount of momentum, and i'd not be surprised if that's all gone. On the bright side pick-wise, at least one of the Rangers or Canes is guaranteed out after the play-ins, so that pick shouldn't suffer too much

Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If anything, I think we're worse off than if the playoffs/play-ins had started right after the last games of the regular season. The Rangers had a huge amount of momentum, and i'd not be surprised if that's all gone. On the bright side pick-wise, at least one of the Rangers or Canes is guaranteed out after the play-ins, so that pick shouldn't suffer too much
Contingent on the Leafs hopefully getting bounced early on preferably against the Jackets.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What exactly does it entail that Carolina "voted to not play us"?

It's just BS. They voted "no" when asked about the play off format. The reason could very well be concerns over their players. But hey, let's spin it in a way that it sounds like they are afraid of the Rangers who lack depth in literally every department.

Reactions: Machinehead

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I mean I'm pretty sure most people are just busting balls

Our record against them is insane. It's funny to think they would be one of the only teams to vote no

Getting all serious about it is more "self important" than anything

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
How I've heard Carolina parsed their 'no' vote was that they thought they'd done enough to earn their way in. The other team to vote no was Tampa who thought it penalized the higher seeded teams. Carolina does have a legit argument here but we do as well. It's very arguable that the Rangers who had been playing pretty well would have passed enough teams (some of whom were struggling) to claim the last playoff spot. Could it also be that Carolina's record against us the last several years has been atrocious? Yeah that could be a part of it too but I don't think you're going to find anyone in the Carolina organization who is going to admit to that. There are several ways that if the NHL was going to do this they could have. They could have just gone with the 8 teams in each conference with the best winning %. For me I'd rather the Rangers in the playoffs but if they had decided to do the 16 teams then I could accept us as a lottery team too even if we didn't have much of a shot at going higher than 13. Part of this is that they're trying to please as many teams as possible and in doing so the NHL has obviously displeased both Tampa and Carolina. Sucks for them but basically it sucked for the Rangers and Toronto when the salary cap was pushed through and both strikes. Rangers and Toronto franchises pretty much lost there though it helped get the Rangers house in order in the long run.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How I've heard Carolina parsed their 'no' vote was that they thought they'd done enough to earn their way in. The other team to vote no was Tampa who thought it penalized the higher seeded teams. Carolina does have a legit argument here but we do as well. It's very arguable that the Rangers who had been playing pretty well would have passed enough teams (some of whom were struggling) to claim the last playoff spot. Could it also be that Carolina's record against us the last several years has been atrocious? Yeah that could be a part of it too but I don't think you're going to find anyone in the Carolina organization who is going to admit to that. There are several ways that if the NHL was going to do this they could have. They could have just gone with the 8 teams in each conference with the best winning %. For me I'd rather the Rangers in the playoffs but if they had decided to do the 16 teams then I could accept us as a lottery team too even if we didn't have much of a shot at going higher than 13. Part of this is that they're trying to please as many teams as possible and in doing so the NHL has obviously displeased both Tampa and Carolina. Sucks for them but basically it sucked for the Rangers and Toronto when the salary cap was pushed through and both strikes. Rangers and Toronto franchises pretty much lost there though it helped get the Rangers house in order in the long run.

What's funny is that, in general, the ones who bring up our regular season record against the Hurricanes are the same who bring up the "Play offs are different" excuse every other debate.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Given that we're all dying for some hockey, and we own Carolina, the chances of us getting swept are 100%.

We're playing a team that beat the Capitals, swept the Islanders. The only players on this team who have played post-season hockey in the last 3 years are Panarin, Trouba, McKegg and Haley. We always hear how play off hockey is different. I think it's more likely that we get swept, than the other way around.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We're playing a team that beat the Capitals, swept the Islanders. The only players on this team who have played post-season hockey in the last 3 years are Panarin, Trouba, McKegg and Haley. We always hear how play off hockey is different. I think it's more likely that we get swept, than the other way around.

Not to mention that, at least on paper, their roster is better than last year’s.

They’ve added Trochek, Vatanen... and yeah, Skjei. I think they’ll likely be without Pesce though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not to mention that, at least on paper, their roster is better than last year’s.

They’ve added Trochek, Vatanen... and yeah, Skjei. I think they’ll likely be without Pesce though.

Aho, TT, Slavin, Necas all a year older. The Rangers are a talented team but our bottom 6 is AHL-caliber and we have 2 pylons on the left side of our defense

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Playoff hockey is the same as regular season hockey except for the media who like to make meaningless narratives out of every little story.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Aho, TT, Slavin, Necas all a year older. The Rangers are a talented team but our bottom 6 is AHL-caliber and we have 2 pylons on the left side of our defense

Our top-6, goaltending, and PP are perfectly capable of taking over a short series. I’m not sure your statement about the bottom-6 will remain true at this point (there’s enough youth there to see a leap in quality after a 4 month break), but I think Carolina is clearly the better team and is only even in this position because of a combination of injuries and Aho taking a lot of time to get going this year.

It’s going to be an interesting series. And if either team struggles to go from zero to elimination series in emotional level on a dime, that team is probably dead on arrival.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
What's funny is that, in general, the ones who bring up our regular season record against the Hurricanes are the same who bring up the "Play offs are different" excuse every other debate.

Oh I like Carolina's team and I think Brind'amour is one of the better NHL coaches--probably top 5. His team seems to love him too. So I expect they would be ready. We've never as far as I can recall ever played Carolina in a playoff situation. I don't even remember us playing Hartford in the playoffs. Anycase usually all bets are off when series like these start--there will also be no home ice for any team. The one thing I don't like about Carolina is their goaltending. I think they are weak there. Panarin and Zibanejad could give them fits. If there is an edge we have it's right there.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Playoff hockey is the same as regular season hockey except for the media who like to make meaningless narratives out of every little story.
Nah dude. Players grip their sticks tighter, goalies drink a lot of "clutch" juice during pre-game, and every other guy eats a hearty meal of "wants it more" before getting to the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad