Around the NHL: Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I hate West Coast games. I don't even like playing teams in the West.

You could do things to try to force rivalries, but that's dumb. And again, f*** games on the West Coast

almost impossible these days. It worked for the NFL when players didn’t change teams so often and each team had their own identity. Gone are the days of the 49ers vs Giants year after year with contrasting styles. Now the NFL is like a video game in which everybody basically plays the same style with players changing uniforms as often as they sometimes change agents.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hate West Coast games. I don't even like playing teams in the West.

I'd take a schedule where you just play your own conference plus one game each against teams from the other conference. And alternate home and away each season. Rivalries are with the teams you play all the time. The Washington rivalry really heated up when we played them in the playoffs every year, and then with realignment. Unless you can play a team 5-6 times per season or repeatedly in the playoffs, those rivalries rarely develop, or rarely last.

You could do things to try to force rivalries, but that's dumb. And again, f*** games on the West Coast.

I don’t mind the late times when it comes to the regular season, can usually watch the Rangers live and then the western games live. I usually don’t go to bed around 1am anyway so it’s all good.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
That's not a bad point. It's been 5 years since we saw them last in the playoffs.
Since they went to the bracketed format, the Rangers have had 10 playoff series against 7 different opponents. So the idea that the format puts them against the same opponent over and over is deemed to be FICTION.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Since they went to the bracketed format, the Rangers have had 10 playoff series against 7 different opponents. So the idea that the format puts them against the same opponent over and over is deemed to be FICTION.

Yeah. The Washington thing wasn't really a result of the playoff format. It was more that it was just the way it turned out than anything.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Brackets are great.

Honestly, I'm torn between the complaint about seeing the same teams *too* often and the basic fairness argument of playing the teams whose schedules you share first in the playoffs. The former would work best in a 1-8 bracket, which would really require re-seeding. The latter works best in a straight divisional format, for which bracketing is just the way it ends up.
Part of what the league grapples with is that the rivalry argument plays out differently in different cities. In Arizona, the preference is would strongly support 1-16 thinking. Random visits from all teams outweigh rivalries here by a large margin. True in a lot of places. That’s the reason the league schedule was changed a few years ago to move away from the heavier emphasis on division play

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Part of what the league grapples with is that the rivalry argument plays out differently in different cities. In Arizona, the preference is would strongly support 1-16 thinking. Random visits from all teams outweigh rivalries here by a large margin. True in a lot of places. That’s the reason the league schedule was changed a few years ago to move away from the heavier emphasis on division play
Why does Arizona have an opinion about the playoffs at all?

Reactions: SA16

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
First of all, they are one of the top 24 teams.

But you missed my point. Arizona (and many other teams, especially in the west) prefer a more random schedule with less emphasis on rivalries. This carries over to the playoffs. Helps attendance over the long haul.
Yes, I skimmed your post and tried to make an obvious joke. Busted.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I feel like this is only true because Arizona has been consistently bad. They’d be much better served having several years in a row of playoff matches versus Colorado than random different ones every year.

Reactions: LokiDog

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I don’t mind the late times when it comes to the regular season, can usually watch the Rangers live and then the western games live. I usually don’t go to bed around 1am anyway so it’s all good.
I think it's less about start times and more about the pseudo-pointlessness of such games as the teams playing aren't even in direct competition with each other. Even playing a top western team at MSG feels very meh.

As I said, I would go even further than @nyr2k2 and eliminate regular season interconference play altogether. I would also remove divisions since I hate the concept of teams with different schedules competing for the same playoff spots. Two conferences, disjunct schedules, 1-8 playoffs, let's go.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
This Covid is a shit show...looking forward to some Hockey. I like all the underdogs in the East sans Le Habs in the playin round.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think it's less about start times and more about the pseudo-pointlessness of such games as the teams playing aren't even in direct competition with each other. Even playing a top western team at MSG feels very meh.

As I said, I would go even further than @nyr2k2 and eliminate regular season interconference play altogether. I would also remove divisions since I hate the concept of teams with different schedules competing for the same playoff spots. Two conferences, disjunct schedules, 1-8 playoffs, let's go.
That would be a nonstarter with the teams in the western conference.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don’t think there was an option that doesn’t allow them to be swept.

B2BBDD01-E3E2-4289-A9C9-F5AFF42CE5C7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA