Around the NHL: Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It was obvious this playoff was going to get approved, you’d think Carolina would just accept and grumble about it quietly

As opposed to making it public and being subsequently roasted

And imagine thinking that Carolina isn’t a fringe team when they had 81 points and could have easily been out of the playoffs if the rest of the season had played out

I mean give me a break

I think Carolina is the best of the WC teams by far. But they’ve massively underachieved this season imo. The idea they were a guaranteed playoff team isn’t close to reality.

I’ve seen the models. I know the numbers. I get it all. But they’ve been a 5 year analytic underachiever. We have seen this before. Dominant pick possession, not nearly enough scoring. So it’s not like it couldn’t happen again.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I believe the comment on 20-21 season is a new idea...that obviously is the desire but not sure how they can plan on that.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Dreger on details of NHL's Phase 2 plan: It's a step forward, but still up in the air

nhl hoping that phase 2 happens in early june (not in their control completely)....during phase 2 players will be allowed to return to their nhl cities to begin working out, but it is voluntary. GMs are not allowed to call players to ask them to report...

I'm sure there are more far more logistics involved, but my first thought here is that they should pick the hub cities first and let the players just go there. instead they will travel to their nhl cities and then have to travel again....its not a huge deal cause most teams will have private jets but just seems like unnecessary travel when you know games won't be played in most of those cities.

Reactions: egelband

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
For what it’s worth

(1) Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
·
1h
Again, let me repeat myself, the format is just the first step. So many more hurdles to overcome, more negotiations needed between NHL/NHLPA over hub cities, testing, protocols... the format is just Step 1. No guarantee yet the 2019-20 season is completed despite best intentions

(2)
upload_2020-5-26_14-25-33.png

(3)

upload_2020-5-26_14-26-13.jpeg

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
For what it’s worth

(1) Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
·
1h
Again, let me repeat myself, the format is just the first step. So many more hurdles to overcome, more negotiations needed between NHL/NHLPA over hub cities, testing, protocols... the format is just Step 1. No guarantee yet the 2019-20 season is completed despite best intentions

(2)
View attachment 347697

(3)

View attachment 347698

Looking at that chart, wouldn't it make more sense to reseed the teams after the play in round? Make the lowest remaining seeded team from 5-12 play the top seed & so on.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Looking at that chart, wouldn't it make more sense to reseed the teams after the play in round? Make the lowest remaining seeded team from 5-12 play the top seed & so on.

They want to settle on the locations i believe. Want it known where teams will be as far as host city goes. Not bouncing around different cities.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They should have the bottom 7 have their lottery for 1OA, then another one for 8th overall for all the eliminated teams in the best of 5 round. So even if the Rangers get ousted first round (which they likely won’t if facing Carolina) they can pick as high as 8th. Really not unfair at all, and to get a shot at the playoffs as well. To get these kids playoff experience is huge in itself.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

yeah ice hockey in LA and vegas in August sounds like a great idea...

there are no crowds so you don't need to pick a big city...if canadian cities are on the teams I'd be looking at 2 cities in canada plus minnesota and maybe buffalo. pick the cold places to minimize the impact of playing over the summer

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
One city in the east, one in the west. One has to be in Canada. My guesses are Vegas and Toronto.

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York

there are no crowds so you don't need to pick a big city...if canadian cities are on the teams I'd be looking at 2 cities in canada plus minnesota and maybe buffalo. pick the cold places to minimize the impact of playing over the summer

Weather doesn’t matter. Teams aren’t going to be waiting for the local ponds to freeze over, as long as the city has hockey rinks that good enough for me.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Unless I'm reading this wrong it looks like we're gonna both make the playoffs AND have a chance at the lottery
Potentially yeah

The only way the team doesn't get a chance to at least get a top 3 pick is if we beat Carolina, and Toronto wins. In that scenario we'd be SOL

Reactions: Inferno

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Return to Play announcement from how I saw it on NBC Sports....

Bettman
- Health and Safety is No. 1
- Fan response is the main reason for continuation
- Won't do anything until guidance in civil and medical authorities deems clear
- Thanked NHL and NHLPA for great communication
- Thanked league and organizational cooperation to come up with a plan
- 24 clubs will resume play; top 12 in each conference by points percentage as of Mar. 12
- Regular season now complete
- Each conference will be assigned to one of two hub cities
- Travel a maximum of 50 personnel for each team
- Covid-19 testing system in place

Phase 2
- Early June clubs will return to facilities to voluntary on/off ice training
Phase 3
- Formal training camp no earlier than the first half of July.

No city has been determined yet but the hub cities are....Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Vegas, LA, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vancouver

Round Robin

Top 4 seeds in each conference to play for No.1 seeding. Unknown game scenario, but will have regular season rule set.

The rest will play in a round robin best of 5. Unsure if first and second rounds will be best of 5 or best of 7 scenarios.

Conference finals and Cup final WILL be best of 7.

East top 4 are Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington, Philadelphia

Pittsburgh vs Montreal
Carolina vs NYR
NYI vs Florida
Toronto vs Columbus

West top 4 are St. Louis, Colorado, Las Vegas, Dallas

Edmonton vs Blackhawks
Nashville vs Arizona
Vancouver vs Minnesota
Calgary vs Winnipeg

Draft Lottery

Possible 2 phases

Pre Qualifying
7 clubs not in round robin and 8 teams eliminated from round robin

Phase 1
1st draw will get 1
second draw will get 2
third get 3

Phase 2
7 team not playing in round robin have same odds as usual
8 teams in round robin would have a place holder for the lottery and based on points percentage from elimination would be slotted as so.

More information is spilling out, but this is what I got so far....

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Take it for what it’s worth but heard an nhl reporter on Sirius who knows Vegas well and he said the main arena and all practice facilities have well maintained ice.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Bettman saying in an interview on NBS Sports that the economy in the NHL is stable, but it obviously hurt with the pandemic. Every team owner is fine financially.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'd be shocked if Vegas isn't one of two sites. The NBA going to Orlando pretty much guarantees that the NHL is using Vegas. They have the infrastructure to do it, so it makes sense.

I'd imagine the other site will be Canadian site, so it's "fair" for both countries. The only thing that might tie up that is Canada's country entry policy, but I'd assume the league could work something out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->