Around the NHL: Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
so this might have been covered...but obviously they are trying to come back with this playoff tournament for $$ cause players and owners don't want to lose $$....but if the stanley cup is awarded in september and next season doesn't start until january and next season is a 1/2 year, wouldn't they lose 1/2 of next year's money? is that really any better than just losing whatever they would lose now?
No way they restart back in Jan.

Playoffs ends in Sept 15th (random date i’ll use), short pre season starts early nov, season up and running by mid nov.

Reactions: romba and egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think with a break like this, where lots of guys probably couldn't even get onto ice, it's going to be a pretty level playing field. A team with a huge advantage four months ago, may only have a small advantage now.

I think the whole thing is silly, but given the circumstances I feel like pretty much any team can take any other, particularly in five-game series.

I think in a lot of respects this plays to an advantage for us. Younger players tend to be more flexible players. Some players off the ice for two months now are going to be prone to pulling muscles etc. I think it also plays against those teams that bulked up for the playoffs with bigger, heavier players. We usually have Carolina's number but Brind'amour's the kind of coach that can get his team to overachieve.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Larry actually handing out truth bombs today:

The mythical perception of Carey Price has to be one of the greatest hoodwinks in league history. He must have pictures of players in compromising positions.

Price was amazing at his peak. Why his peak was so short I don't know, but it certainly terrified me in 2014 when the Rangers had to face him in the playoffs. That they had already hung a bunch of goals on him before he got injured was also something people maybe forgot though.

He was a high pick who took a bit to develop while being forced into the NHL, then was amazing for a bit and has struggled more recently.

If we beat Carolina we play Washington again

tenor.gif

Thanks to the NHL for forcing division "rivalries" so you basically see the same teams playing each other every year

Reactions: Machinehead

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
No way they restart back in Jan.

Playoffs ends in Sept 15th (random date i’ll use), short pre season starts early nov, season up and running by mid nov.

lol, it’s hockey. They’ll begin the preseason matchups while the Stanley Cup Finals are still being played.

Reactions: romba

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
As I understand it our 2nd round opponent would be Washington because they use brackets rather than reseeding.

On another note, Carolina fans seem absolutely THRILLED to face us. :laugh:

I could have sworn the ESPN article stated that Tampa would play the winner of the 6/11 matchup.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right now there is some hope that next season could be an 82 game season, with this season wrapping in the first half of Sept., taking a 3 week break, having a condensed preseason, and then maybe having the next season start the last week of October, or the first week of November. Maybe have the 2021 season wrap by July 1, with free agency slated for July 15.

Heard that from a few people, but who knows if it will be the final direction they go.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
And every one of those series was a human rights violation.

I have some good memories from those years but never again. No more Washington.
I like rivalries, this is how they form. You hate Washington more than any other team, I'm always thrilled to face my most hated team in any sport.

For better or worse, our current rivals are Washington and Pittsburgh due to the recent history.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
recent? The scars from John Druce and Super Mario have been around for a while :mad:
I don't disagree, it was more of an illustration of how rivalries wax and wane. I contend that the Caps and the Pens are our biggest rivals right now bar none, that has certainly not consistently been the case over the past 30-40 years (though I'd argue it's been pretty much consistent over the past decade). Before that it was the Devils etc...

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
What's the point in the top-4 RR? Will they be playing for seeding?
It may effect seeding, but its mostly so the top teams aren't at a huge disadvantage playing their first competitive hockey in months against teams coming off of a best of 5 playoff series.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm having a hard time caring about this potential playoff. Maybe I'll feel different when it actually starts

I agree. Whatever rhythm the team had prior to this whole situation is gone. They're basically starting over

We are one of the youngest teams in the league. If anything, this long rest helps the older teams

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad