Proposal: How do the Flyers get a 1C

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Catton has the higher ceiling, and is absolutely the more skilled player. I would be shocked if he falls outside the top 10.

Okay, be shocked.

When has he ever said that? Scouts think he is more likely to be an NHL center than Lindstrom

Recently he said it in an interview, that he sees himself ending up at the wing.

I highly doubt that's the majority opinion of Lindstrom v Catton as centers.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Catton has the higher ceiling, and is absolutely the more skilled player. I would be shocked if he falls outside the top 10.

When has he ever said that? Scouts think he is more likely to be an NHL center than Lindstrom

Unless the English translation of this is insanely, ridiculously wrong.

Now cite your sources in scouts thinking Catton is more likely to be a center than Lindstrom.

Ledge And Dairy

Unless the English translation of this is insanely, ridiculously wrong.

Now cite your sources in scouts thinking Catton is more likely to be a center than Lindstrom.
Cory Pronman and Scott Wheeler both view Catton as legitimate 1C potential. Wheeler views Lindstrom as more of a 2C than a 1C, and Pronman thinks his play style translates better to a winger than a center

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Cory Pronman and Scott Wheeler both view Catton as legitimate 1C potential. Wheeler views Lindstrom as more of a 2C than a 1C, and Pronman thinks his play style translates better to a winger than a center
Ah yes, two excellent talent evaluators with notoriously good records on small skilled guys. I’ll take Catton’s own opinion over those two any day.

Actually, I don’t even know why I’m arguing about this. If you want to draft Catton and expect him to be a 1C, that’s totally cool. I just want to bring up a point that Catton doesn’t think he’s a center in the NHL.

Reactions: BillDineen

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Without drafting them it’s real tough. Philly at least is a franchise players choose to go to via free agency, or even waving trade clauses for, but even at that, it’s still hard signing one and then how old are they?

They have to start drafting Cs with top picks but that’s easier said than done sometimes too. So what do you do with these high picks if you don’t feel there’s a potential #1 C to draft? Draft Top young dmen. Build from the blue line out. Overdraft them. It’ll take longer because Dmen take longer to develop, but then you’ll have many opportunities through trades, as teams will always pay a premium for really good, young Dmen. A premium they won’t pay for most wingers.

Anaheim and Detroit have both gone with this theory in many ways. Now, it’s also worked out where they also have some top C prospects too, but both of those teams, by investing in so many good young dmen, will be in positions to make big trades for premium talent up front, as long as these Dmen keep developing like they are. Obviously Anaheim already made one of those deals with Philly. You can’t do that drafting a bunch of wingers.

Thing is, it does take time without hitting on a lottery pick, and unfortunately fans and media aren’t the most patient. For example, if they don’t draft one to develop in the 1st Rd this year, it’s just going to push things further out into the future. If they do draft one this year, he’s likely 3-4 years away. Hard sell to an impatient media and fanbase.

They simply have to start biting that bullet though, cause they’re not gonna magically appear.
no they are not. no top end free agents are coming to philly anytime soon

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He’s also not a real top 6 C.
Nuge is fine as a 2C if he has a pair of good wingers. He's very much a complimentary player, he isn't and never has been the guy to drive a line, but on a team with strong wingers, I think he could be a 2C. He is better to a 2W role at this stage of his career though, I agree with that.

Reactions: Seanaconda

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
…Philadelphia has tons of draft capital, they just need to either draft for a potential #1C, trade for a C with #1C potential, or trade for a more established one, or sign one as a UFA, though that usually means 4 good years and 3 years of overpayment…

So in review, Philly needs to draft a 1C, trade for a 1C… or (checks notes)… sign one in UFA.

Thanks for the hot tip, I was over here tryna conjure a 1C via reverse osmosis. I was way off base.

😉

Nov 1, 2011
If the Canucks can reach a deal with Lindholm and need the cap to resign Zadorov + Hronek.

Elias Pettersson (reminder, 100 point, 25 year-old centre, signed long-term)

for

Matvei Michkov
Oliver Bonk
2024 PHI 1st
2024 PHI 2nd
2025 PHI 1st
2026 PHI 1st

Too much?

LEIFey

Context Matters!
Jun 28, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
If the Canucks can reach a deal with Lindholm and need the cap to resign Zadorov + Hronek.

for

Matvei Michkov
Oliver Bonk
2024 PHI 1st
2024 PHI 2nd
2025 PHI 1st
2026 PHI 1st

Too much?
Way too much. Has a player ever gotten this much in the cap era? Not even mentioning that this would not work with the cap hit.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

for

Matvei Michkov
Oliver Bonk
2024 PHI 1st
2024 PHI 2nd
2025 PHI 1st
2026 PHI 1st

Too much?
That's the kind of offer a team starts with if they're asking for McDavid, not Pettersson, and I don't see any scenario other than McDavid or Bedard demanding a trade where the Flyers put Michkov on the table at all.

We're looking for someone to be Michkov's center, not his replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad