Around the NHL: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Paul Holmgren and that offer sheet to Weber feels like a lifetime ago and that contract still has 6 more seasons after this one left lol

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Paul Holmgren and that offer sheet to Weber feels like a lifetime ago and that contract still has 6 more seasons after this one left lol

i totally forgot that was an offer sheet...really if the league was being fair, the flyers should be on the hook for some kind of penalty since they are the ones that signed weber to the illegal contract that was proved by the league. the preds didn't give him the contract they just matched it. obviously gary isn't going to punish one of his besties in snyder so we know why it didn't happen just saying

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yes...but I tend to think he was in the Jets HOF eons ago . Maybe he was representing the HOF ?

Hull used to play with the Jets when they were in the WHA and so that's why I'm thinking he was there and hence their uniforms looking so much like ours seeing I believe that those were the unies they used to wear when they were in the WHA mid 70's or so.

Matter of fact if my memory serves me correctly, Hull played on the same line as our very own Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg before we brought them here back in 1977 or something like that as I think that was the GM at the time John Ferguson's claim to fame at the time.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Couple of quickies as I've been chanel surfing while watching the Ranger Wild game:

The Lightning are officially insane as they can't lose and Vaselevsky is winning another Vezina after a horrific start to the season. They are my pick to win the Cup after they were "supposed" to have won it last year.

MacKinnon continues to amaze as you know what he's going to do but his speed is so intimidating every Dman he goes against backs up and gives him all the time in the world to do his thing. He does it again tonight as he sets up Burakovsky for an easy goal.

Eichel is just such a great talent. Too bad he plays in Buffalo. If he played anywhere else, he'd be so much more publicized. He was phenomenal again tonight as he single handily got the Sabres the win vs Columbus.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Avalance vs Caps has been as good as advertised. Just a great game back and forth game between two great teams.

I tell ya what if Grubauer continues to play like he has the past 6 games where he looks like the guy again who stole the gig from Varlamov in the 2nd half last year, this team is going to to the Cup finals.

They have everything you need to win it all tho I do think the Lightning are winning the Cup this year. But a Lightning vs Avalanche Cup final would be must see TV as it would be an awesome matchup!!

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Avalance vs Caps has been as good as advertised. Just a great game back and forth game between two great teams.

I tell ya what if Grubauer continues to play like he has the past 6 games where he looks like the guy again who stole the gig from Varlamov in the 2nd half last year, this team is going to to the Cup finals.

They have everything you need to win it all tho I do think the Lightning are winning the Cup this year. But a Lightning vs Avalanche Cup final would be must see TV as it would be an awesome matchup!!

I really like Vrana as a possible yet probably unlikely option for the Rangers at some point down the road.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I really like Vrana as a possible yet probably unlikely option for the Rangers at some point down the road.

Dude from your mouth to gods ears. There is no way on gods green earth the Caps are letting Vrana go to anyone especially us someone in their division. He is the reason they let Burakovsky go and he is the guy who once Ovie eventually slows down will be the guy who takes over. He's going to be a superstar no doubt about it.

He's going to be a perennial 40 goal guy as soon as next year quite possibly. To be honest, I don't think the Rangers have anything that would even tempt the Caps to deal him to us. Check that maybe Panarin and even he might not get Vrana that's how good this guy is and how much better he's going to be going forward.

That all said I love your mindset but getting Vrana aint happening.

Reactions: Off Sides

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I love watching the Avs feed when stuff like this happens.

Not sure what your referring too about the Avs feed but IMO that might be the most entertaining feed I see on a regular basis. The duo of Marc Moser and Peter Mcnab I can listen too forever...they are great.

Now if your talking about how down they seemed when the Caps came back from that 2-0 deficit...not sure what broadcast team would be up after such a deflating loss.

So what is it you are exactly referring too?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Not sure what your referring too about the Avs feed but IMO that might be the most entertaining feed I see on a regular basis. The duo of Marc Moser and Peter Mcnab I can listen too forever...they are great.

Now if your talking about how down they seemed when the Caps came back from that 2-0 deficit...not sure what broadcast team would be up after such a deflating loss.

So what is it you are exactly referring too?
They're such homers it's hilarious when the Avs do something like a blow a lead. :laugh:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
They're such homers it's hilarious when the Avs do something like a blow a lead. :laugh:

McNab is flat out awful, he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth and correctly put, is a giant homer. he hasn't improved one bit since he ruined Devils broadcasts 30 odd years ago. Homers give me a giant headache.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Maybe I'm in the minority on this but homer broadcast teams don't bother me in the least bit. I actually get a kick out of the Rick Jeanerettes of the Sabres, the Bruins Jack Edwards and Andy Brinkley, the Coyotoes Tyson Nash and as you are pointing out Mosher and McNabb of the Avalanche.

I actually like to listen to the opposing teams we play against like tonight I watched the Wild broadcast because I like to hear what other teams think about our team and our players. And sure they all root for their teams but so what? It's not like Sam and Micheletti don't root for us...big deal is what I think.

It's all about entertainment. And if someone can't be entertained listening to Jack Edwards ranting and raving that the Bruins got jobbed on a penalty or when he reverts into a boxing announcer when a Steve Ott of Dallas gets his ass kicked by a Scott Thornton after multiple cheap shots too Bruins players than I'd argue that someone isn't getting it.

But whatever...different strokes for different folks. Give me as many homer announcers as you got and when the Rangers score goals or my fantasy guys score, I love to listen to the defeat in their voices...lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
McNab is flat out awful, he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth and correctly put, is a giant homer. he hasn't improved one bit since he ruined Devils broadcasts 30 odd years ago. Homers give me a giant headache.

We'll agree to disagree than. I like McNabb alot. He and Mosher are one of my favorite broadcast teams to listen too. I know everything I need to know about hockey having played it and having watched it for 45 years.

There is really not too much nothing a broadcast team can teach me that I don't pretty much know. All they need to do is entertain me and keep me engaged. The Jeanerettes, Edwards of the world do that and so that is that.

That said I can respect the fact that you don't like it and so like I said...we'll agree to disagree than....all good!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Maybe I'm in the minority on this but homer broadcast teams don't bother me in the least bit. I actually get a kick out of the Rick Jeanerettes of the Sabres, the Bruins Jack Edwards and Andy Brinkley, the Coyotoes Tyson Nash and as you are pointing out Mosher and McNabb of the Avalanche.

I actually like to listen to the opposing teams we play against like tonight I watched the Wild broadcast because I like to hear what other teams think about our team and our players. And sure they all root for their teams but so what? It's not like Sam and Micheletti don't root for us...big deal is what I think.

It's all about entertainment. And if someone can't be entertained listening to Jack Edwards ranting and raving that the Bruins got jobbed on a penalty or when he reverts into a boxing announcer when a Steve Ott of Dallas gets his ass kicked by a Scott Thornton after multiple cheap shots too Bruins players than I'd argue that someone isn't getting it.

But whatever...different strokes for different folks. Give me as many homer announcers as you got and when the Rangers score goals or my fantasy guys score, I love to listen to the defeat in their voices...lol
I love the Boston broadcast, too, and Jeanerette. Coyotes are good, too, I watch a lot of their games. It's not so much that they're homers, it's that they're homers without being entertaining to me. :laugh:

Just a personal preference.

Reactions: Maximus

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

You like the avs feed becAuse I'm almost positive youre really an avs fan... Seems like half your posts are about how awesome they are lol. ;)

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
i totally forgot that was an offer sheet...really if the league was being fair, the flyers should be on the hook for some kind of penalty since they are the ones that signed weber to the illegal contract that was proved by the league. the preds didn't give him the contract they just matched it. obviously gary isn't going to punish one of his besties in snyder so we know why it didn't happen just saying
The Flyers should absolutely not be on the hook for anything. Nashville matched. It's their problem.

Flyers made the contract so that it would be impossible for them to match. Well, they did it any way and now they have to face the consequences.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Flyers should absolutely not be on the hook for anything. Nashville matched. It's their problem.

Flyers made the contract so that it would be impossible for them to match. Well, they did it any way and now they have to face the consequences.

flyers made it impossible to match by circumventing the cap with an illegal contract...plus F phily lol

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
flyers made it impossible to match by circumventing the cap with an illegal contract...plus F phily lol

The 2010 SCF should officially be renamed the cap circumvention bowl. The Hawks and the Flyers literally did this with multiple players.

Then Philly was dumb enough to trade two of those guys, both ending up on the Kings. Flyers really screwed the Rangers in 2010 and then again in 2014. Enough bad things can't happen to them. I hope they miss by a point this year.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
It wasn't illegal at the time. But if you want to go that route, Nashville is complicit in the whole thing because they accepted the cap circumventing illegal contract on their books. When it became illegal, Nashville should have bought him out. Or not have matched in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad