Around the NHL: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Boy, if I was Guerin, I would be on the phone with Dallas right now seeing if I could retain some salary and move Zuccarello back to Dallas. Perhaps if Minnesota retains $1-1.5m per season, Dallas would consider taking on the longer term considering where they are and knowing the player. That team NEEDS to move out some of their aging players just to provide some flexibility moving forward.
That would send me up a wall if that happened with us not getting the pick for that!

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Are there people who actually think Quinn is going to be fired? The organization loves him and he's done a pretty good job overall considering the makeup of this team. I can't see any scenario in which he is not still the coach at the end of next season.
Torts brought us to the second round of the playoffs and they fired him. If there is a better coach available, you hire him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Wow... Is that basically a pacemaker or something more serious? Either way I'm sure his career is done... Who wants to employ a guy whose got paddles permanently strapped to his heart.
Same idea, yeah. Some implantable defibrillators (we call them AICD's in the medical community) have pacemaker functions but not all do. Unclear if Bo needs a pacemaker to go along with it. Having this implanted would assure that if his heart goes into an irregular rhythm again, that the battery of the machine will kick in and give the heart a little jolt back into a regular rhythm. Bo wouldn't feel as much as a bee sting sensation if that happens. His playing days are definitely over with this hardware though.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I posted this in the main board thread but Bouwmeesters career is almost assuredly over.

I knew someone that had a similar thing happen playing hockey, they couldn’t do any traveling or fitness related things for at least 6 months

Bouwmeester has won a cup, could get his name on a second this year, and has made close to 75 million in his career

It’s not worth risking his life to try and make a comeback

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I posted this in the main board thread but Bouwmeesters career is almost assuredly over.

I knew someone that had a similar thing happen playing hockey, they couldn’t do any traveling or fitness related things for at least 6 months

Bouwmeester has won a cup, could get his name on a second this year, and has made close to 75 million in his career

Ducks and Blues still emotional over what happened. Both teams gave up 6 goals last night.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

And I guess if there's any piece of mind for him, it's that he really did have a full career. It's different when you have to walk away at 26 then when you're 36. It still hurts, but there's far fewer questions and unresolved dreams. Admittedly, there's also a big difference in financial security as well.

If this is the end for his NHL playing career, all things considered, it's not a bad ending at all. And I hope any sadness is as minimal as it can be in a situation like this.

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't get why Guerin fired Boudreau now. He traded Zucker like he's starting a rebuild, but then fires the coach like the team isn't winning enough. The Wild are 3 points behind the last wildcard team the Coyotes with 3 games at hand on them. And Minnesota is 6-3-1 in their last 10. They hadn't been bad. Is he trying one of those "rebuild on the fly" plans? Not sure what they get out of making the playoffs this year as a bottom seed and probably losing to St. Louis or Vancouver/Vegas in the first round.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Im really curious to see what happens in Montreal for the deadline. Habs have lost 2 in a row. They still have Domi playing behind both Danault and Suzuki on the depth chart. Domi is back on Habs PP1. Im assuming they will be looking into moving one of their centers.

Danault has two more seasons to go till he is UFA.
Domi is an RFA at seasons end and is likely starting to hurt his own value on his next contract.
Suzuki is playing like he belongs in the NHL. 4th OA in Rookie scoring.
Kotkaniemi is currently at 1.4 PPG with Laval.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Torts brought us to the second round of the playoffs and they fired him. If there is a better coach available, you hire him.

This coach is better than that is not as simple as you make it sound. I think we also should keep in mind that Gallant has pretty much coached more veteran teams than the Rangers team is now--that the Rangers picked Quinn at least in part because they thought they needed someone who would work with younger players--would be more hands on with them and help them to grow and Quinn is known as a guy who gets involved with his players on both a personal and professional level. Lots of established coaches don't care all that much about their players away from the rink. AV was certainly that kind of coach. They don't have the time for a lot of the little things that younger players might need help with. Quinn is a teaching coach and the Rangers are making good progress under him. My advice--Gallant is a very good coach but let someone else hire him. No reason to fix something that's working pretty well.

As well just dumping coaches whenever a better one comes along is not good for the stability of a team and done in midseason it can do real harm. A team is already use to playing a certain way and now it's forced to change--go in a different direction.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
This coach is better than that is not as simple as you make it sound. I think we also should keep in mind that Gallant has pretty much coached more veteran teams than the Rangers team is now--that the Rangers picked Quinn at least in part because they thought they needed someone who would work with younger players--would be more hands on with them and help them to grow and Quinn is known as a guy who gets involved with his players on both a personal and professional level. Lots of established coaches don't care all that much about their players away from the rink. AV was certainly that kind of coach. They don't have the time for a lot of the little things that younger players might need help with. Quinn is a teaching coach and the Rangers are making good progress under him. My advice--Gallant is a very good coach but let someone else hire him. No reason to fix something that's working pretty well.

As well just dumping coaches whenever a better one comes along is not good for the stability of a team and done in midseason it can do real harm. A team is already use to playing a certain way and now it's forced to change--go in a different direction.
Quinn isn’t going to be the coach of this team when they are seriously competing, that’s my prediction at least. He’d done an ok job so far, but the Rangers will need a real coach at some point.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Quinn isn’t going to be the coach of this team when they are seriously competing, that’s my prediction at least. He’d done an ok job so far, but the Rangers will need a real coach at some point.

Real coach? Quinn's been coaching a long time and has been fairly successful. Gallant's very very good but a lot has to do with what you have to work with. His Panthers teams weren't always great you know.

Most coaches last only so long--stability though is key especially with a young team. The Rangers aren't ready to pull the plug on Quinn. The team is noticeably better this year and it's the youngest team in the league. Those kids are progressing.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Real coach? Quinn's been coaching a long time and has been fairly successful. Gallant's very very good but a lot has to do with what you have to work with. His Panthers teams weren't always great you know.

Most coaches last only so long--stability though is key especially with a young team. The Rangers aren't ready to pull the plug on Quinn. The team is noticeably better this year and it's the youngest team in the league. Those kids are progressing.
He’s coached college a long time. Not NHL.

Gallant took Vegas to the final which was not a final-worthy team, for which he won the Jack Adams.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m not a Quinn fan, but the team has been probably better than we should expect them to be. I cannot see him being fired until at least 21-22. And that’s fine. This team is enjoyable. They’re inconsistent but they have battle, they show fight back, last night was immensely enjoyable.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Same idea, yeah. Some implantable defibrillators (we call them AICD's in the medical community) have pacemaker functions but not all do. Unclear if Bo needs a pacemaker to go along with it. Having this implanted would assure that if his heart goes into an irregular rhythm again, that the battery of the machine will kick in and give the heart a little jolt back into a regular rhythm. Bo wouldn't feel as much as a bee sting sensation if that happens. His playing days are definitely over with this hardware though.

All AICD's have pacemaker function. The reason for this is that some people are bradycardic (slow heart rate) after a defibrillation. In addition most AICD are programmed to rapid pace (ATP, anti-tachycardia pacing) to terminate an arrhythmia prior to delivering a shock of 30-35 Joules.

If he were to to pass out/arrest from an abnormal heart rhythm he would not feel the shock. If he is alert with an abnormal rhythm, the shock will hurt a lot.

Not sure if we will ever get specifics but Jay most likely has cardiomyopathy or a channelopathy that predisposed him to a fatal arrhythmia.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m not a Quinn fan, but the team has been probably better than we should expect them to be. I cannot see him being fired until at least 21-22. And that’s fine. This team is enjoyable. They’re inconsistent but they have battle, they show fight back, last night was immensely enjoyable.

They've improved pretty significantly over the last 2 months.

Some of his roster decisions have been silly and his open love for Staal is disgusting, but you can't argue with the performance of late.

He's a wayyyyyyyy better coach than his predecessor.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

We all know how coaching stability can go from secure to gone pretty quickly in the NHL. What are the odds on Tortorella, who has been amazing in Columbus IMO, being relieved in a year or two. Right around the time our coach could be extended or relived. There is the J.D. connection and I wouldn’t be shocked at the return of Tortorella.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He’s coached college a long time. Not NHL.

Gallant took Vegas to the final which was not a final-worthy team, for which he won the Jack Adams.
*Gallant took a team to the SCF with five 55+ point forwards and Vezina-caliber goaltending. The Rangers had three when they won the Presidents’ Trophy. Great coach for sure, but people simply misjudged the amount of talent on that Vegas roster before the season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Many of that original Vegas team came in with a chip on their shoulder including Gallant himself. Vets like like Marchessault, Smith, Neal and Fleury must have felt disrespected and Fleury was a better goalie than a lot of teams had. That was somewhat of a perfect storm scenario aided and abetted by the enthusiastic response they got from their new city.

The history of the expansion teams never ever came close to doling out the talent that Vegas started with.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad