Around the NHL - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Tonight not looking too good for the tank.
Carolina blew a 4-1 lead and Detroit and Ottawa was looking like a 3pt game but ottawa is leading in regulation rn.
Hopefully the Hawks somehow beat the Jets

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
LA, Chicago, NYR, NJD, and Ottawa are going to be the bottom five, in that order, when all is said and done.

Rooting hard for a NYR lotto win with Ottawa moving up to #2 and Chicago moving down to #3 and LA to #4.

LA deserves nothing. They had a great decade. Why prop up a team with 2 Cups this decade and a fairweather fanbase in a huge market where hockey is maybe in third place behind basketball and baseball, at best? They're 4th place in that town with the Rams playing so well.

Chicago is going to entertain trading Toews and I think they will deal Keith this summer or next TDL. Bowman made a good deal to get Strome and Perlini. Time for a new core there. Kane is good enough that he'll still be effective when Chicago is going to contend again. Maybe they unload Crawford onto a team desperate for a goalie at half retained. Times are changing there.

The Devils are a mess without Hall playing lights out hockey. His issues from Edmonton are resurfacing in NJ. I love it. Long periods of lazy, unmotivated play. He's regressing back to what Chairelli thought he was trading away. Good defensive core but no top end forwards outside of Hischier. They're going to get Podzolkin or Cozens and I'm going to hate it.

Ottawa has looked better than I thought, but they're still a mess. A player like Kakko or Dach would look really nice there. Could see them going Byram depending on if they fall out of the top 3...

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
LA, Chicago, NYR, NJD, and Ottawa are going to be the bottom five, in that order, when all is said and done.

Rooting hard for a NYR lotto win with Ottawa moving up to #2 and Chicago moving down to #3 and LA to #4.

LA deserves nothing. They had a great decade. Why prop up a team with 2 Cups this decade and a fairweather fanbase in a huge market where hockey is maybe in third place behind basketball and baseball, at best? They're 4th place in that town with the Rams playing so well.

Chicago is going to entertain trading Toews and I think they will deal Keith this summer or next TDL. Bowman made a good deal to get Strome and Perlini. Time for a new core there. Kane is good enough that he'll still be effective when Chicago is going to contend again. Maybe they unload Crawford onto a team desperate for a goalie at half retained. Times are changing there.

The Devils are a mess without Hall playing lights out hockey. His issues from Edmonton are resurfacing in NJ. I love it. Long periods of lazy, unmotivated play. He's regressing back to what Chairelli thought he was trading away. Good defensive core but no top end forwards outside of Hischier. They're going to get Podzolkin or Cozens and I'm going to hate it.

Ottawa has looked better than I thought, but they're still a mess. A player like Kakko or Dach would look really nice there. Could see them going Byram depending on if they fall out of the top 3...

I really don't think NJD will be bottom 5.

Their schedule has been insane but insane now means easy later.

A playoff team they are not, but they'll be in that batch of teams that are out of it, but not bad enough.

They do have lottery ball Hall though.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

You mean Colorado don't you?

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So so night for the tank. At least the Blues maybe awakening a little bit with a nice win. They should not be one of the teams below us when all is said and done. Teams like the Canes on the other hand...

Reactions: TheTakedown

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I really don't think NJD will be bottom 5.

Their schedule has been insane but insane now means easy later.

A playoff team they are not, but they'll be in that batch of teams that are out of it, but not bad enough.

They do have lottery ball Hall though.

Cory's confidence looks shot so they are gonna need Kinkaid to be really good the rest of the way if not they easily could be a bottom 5-7 team. At the start of the season I thought they would be just outside the playoffs looking in. Hopefully that still comes to fruition.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers have 9 wins playing actual hockey. 31st in the league.

They have ZERO on the road. We're almost halfway through, and this team doesn't have a road hockey win.

And yet, here they are, with more points than 11 teams.

I'm posting it in this thread because it goes way beyond the Rangers and their tank. This league has a dire issue with teams getting points they don't deserve.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

They have ZERO on the road. We're almost halfway through, and this team doesn't have a road hockey win.

I'm posting it in this thread because it goes way beyond the Rangers and their tank. This league has a dire issue with teams getting points they don't deserve.

Parity!!!!

But that’s the type of futility that catches up with you.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Until they stop letting people who stand to get fired for poor performance make the rules (and they want to expand the playoffs!!!!!!), it’ll never change

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Its hollow parity to prop up bad markets. 3 point games, at least this version, makes separation impossible. Horrible teams are dragged along and appear to be in contention. Fans think their teams have a chance longer. Then this abomination of divisional playoffs let mediocre teams slip into the conference finals.

Woo hoo, the cap is working! It's totally because teams are balanced, for real.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Its hollow parity to prop up bad markets. 3 point games, at least this version, makes separation impossible. Horrible teams are dragged along and appear to be in contention. Fans think their teams have a chance longer. Then this abomination of divisional playoffs let mediocre teams slip into the conference finals.

Woo hoo, the cap is working! It's totally because teams are balanced, for real.

I hate 3 point games too, but mediocre teams often made it to the conference finals in the old format too. Maybe even more often.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I hate 3 point games too, but mediocre teams often made it to the conference finals in the old format too. Maybe even more often.
By going on great runs. Not because the 2nd best team played the 3rd best team and then the top team. The biggest travesty of the 3 division conference era was the automatic 3 seed for division winners. But there was reseeding and 1 v 8. It was one evil.

It's all artificial parity now. It's a legit strategy to lose at the end of the season to fall to the 2nd wild card. How is the 8th seed better than the 3 position?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
just learned from steve cangialosi during the devils intermission that the oilers are 9-2-2 since Ken Hotchcock took over as coach lol

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By going on great runs. Not because the 2nd best team played the 3rd best team and then the top team. The biggest travesty of the 3 division conference era was the automatic 3 seed for division winners. But there was reseeding and 1 v 8. It was one evil.

It's all artificial parity now. It's a legit strategy to lose at the end of the season to fall to the 2nd wild card. How is the 8th seed better than the 3 position?

I don’t think there should be a wild card crossover, and I’m not sure that will continue once the conferences are even. But, the scenario you laid out hasn’t happened. I think you’re referring to the East last year, but the Caps would’ve been the 3 seed in a 1v8 set up, not the Leafs. Same points but Caps had the tie breaker.

So yeah, you had a weird 1v8, 2v4, 3v7, 5v6 situation if you look at it from a conference standpoint.

Then again, the Penguins had more ROWs than the Leafs did anyway. The Leafs had 5 more points based on 2 extra shootout wins and one extra OT loss. Were they really a better team? The ROW seeding, isolating it to the teams in the playoffs, went 1v8, 2v5, 3v7, 4v6. That’s not really that unreasonable if you’re going to go to divisional playoffs. It’s pretty close to what would happen if you went 1-8 and awarded the top-2 seeds to the division winners, except the Bruins would play the Flyers and their one more point than the team they would’ve played in a strict 1-8.

Unless you’re talking about two years ago with the situation in the Metro. Either way, the conference standings don’t really matter anyway, except for the Wild Card. There’s no way to know that the Leafs finish with more points last year than the Penguins if they swapped schedules.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Speaking of Edmonton, Alex Chiasson has 14 goals in 27 games played. He's already beaten his career high of 13 goals in 79 games back with Dallas. He's shooting an unsustainable 30.4% right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA