Around the NHL - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Reading the Caps board on Tom Wilson--you'd think the guy was a saint. They think Reaves stalked him all night---well, maybe he did but go back 20 years that was a norm for guys who wanted to play old time physical hockey. Guys like Kocur, Probert, Domi (who were good players too) would absolutely hunt someone down if they were running around beating up on their teammates. Can't have it both ways and when a player injures players as much as Wilson has over his relatively short career---there will be some who come looking for him. He wants to play tough guy--there will be times he'll have to pay the piper. The other thing is a lot of Caps fans think they have a budding superstar and they're playing the Reaves is just a goon game as in here's a bad player knocking out a good one and harumph--things like that shouldn't be allowed to happen. Wilson can be a very good and a very effective player but when you put him on the ice and on power plays with the likes of the talent the Caps have that's the main reason why his production is up and not because he's the second coming of Eric Lindros. Apparently some Caps fans can't separate his skills (some of which are pretty good) from the elite talent he gets to play with.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Pittsburgh has gotten their shit together.

There’s so much meh to suck in the league right now (and we’re part of it.) would be nice to get ahead of the curve and sell to some desperate team.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Pittsburgh has gotten their **** together.

There’s so much meh to suck in the league right now (and we’re part of it.) would be nice to get ahead of the curve and sell to some desperate team.

They are the perfect fit for Zuccarello IMO.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
His team is so ****ing bad.

I think there are too many excuses being made for Wahlstrom by islander fans, but there are legitimate ones to be made for Dobson.

His team is bad, but I have to tell you, he is not exactly putting the team on his back either.

That was one of the things that rose Bouchard's stock for me last year, his ability to take a team that was supposedly doing a bit of a reset, and leading them.

Dobson is essentially in the same role this season and the results have been less than spectacular.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
His team is bad, but I have to tell you, he is not exactly putting the team on his back either.

That was one of the things that rose Bouchard's stock for me last year, his ability to take a team that was supposedly doing a bit of a reset, and leading them.

Dobson is essentially in the same role this season and the results have been less than spectacular.

He has muccchhh less to work with than Bouchard did though.

I mean he's his team's leading scorer, which isn't a slight on him but if thats the case with the type of player he is, you kind of know where they stand.

The WJC's are a horrible measuring stick, but for someone like him it'll be nice to see what he can do when not playing for a tire fire (though that will continue once he gets traded, which will likely happen soon.)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He has muccchhh less to work with than Bouchard did though.

I mean he's his team's leading scorer, which isn't a slight on him but if thats the case with the type of player he is, you kind of know where they stand.

The WJC's are a horrible measuring stick, but for someone like him it'll be nice to see what he can do when not playing for a tire fire (though that will continue once he gets traded, which will likely happen soon.)

I dunno, to me it kind of confirms what I was skeptical about last season.

Dobson looks like a potential second pairing defenseman who can elevate his game with a good supporting cast, but isn't necessary the guy who leads the charge.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So that's basically like a first and a second which means it probably would only happen if there was an extreme bidding war, no?

I don't think it would take an extreme bidding war to get to that point, but I will say that having two or three teams expressing serious interest would certainly help.

If you were to put me on the spot, I'd say that I don't think Zucc's value around the league is low as some on here might believe. Not all that different than what I said this time last year about Nash's value.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Agreed that it's very much like the Nash situation last year, maybe even better.

I think you'll see many teams lineup just to see what it would take to acquire him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think some of Nash's value was pedigree.

Not sure if I think GMs will value a smaller play making wing as much as what they envisioned they were maybe getting with the 1st overall pick, goal scorer with size that was Nash. (not that he really was that at the time of the trade but GMs tend to remember a player as how he used to play more so than how he currently is playing and have grandiose visions of being able to turn that play around quickly, thinking E Staal would be energized for example)

I certainly hope I am incorrect in that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think some of Nash's value was pedigree.

Not sure if I think GMs will value a smaller play making wing as much as what they envisioned they were maybe getting with the 1st overall pick, goal scorer with size that was Nash. (not that he really was that at the time of the trade but GMs tend to remember a player as how he used to play more so than how he currently is playing and have grandiose visions of being able to turn that play around quickly, thinking E Staal would be energized for example)

I certainly hope I am incorrect in that.

I think the pedigree is a factor, and that was some of the additions to that deal.

But I also think we have to factor in age (Nash was nearly two years older than Zucc will be at the deadline) and production. For all the grief, prior to getting baged up Zucc was actually pretty close to his career average.

So you take off some of the additions to the Nash trade, factor in a few differences, and I think you're roughly in the same ballpark.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the pedigree is a factor, and that was some of the additions to that deal.

But I also think we have to factor in age (Nash was nearly two years older than Zucc will be at the deadline) and production. For all the grief, prior to getting baged up Zucc was actually pretty close to his career average.

So you take off some of the additions to the Nash trade, factor in a few differences, and I think you're roughly in the same ballpark.

I honestly think Zucc will/would be a much better rental for whichever team that rented him than Nash was, I just do not think many GMs think that way concerning the deadline.

Same ballpark given some creative other stuff included, I'd have to go with a solid maybe.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I honestly think Zucc will/would be a much better rental for whichever team that rented him than Nash was, I just do not think many GMs think that way concerning the deadline.

Same ballpark given some creative other stuff included, I'd have to go with a solid maybe.

Rutherford has shown a willingness to pay a premium to add players for a playoff run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad