Around the NHL - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Not every pick is a winner. You've still managed the best pipeline of 1C/2C/1W/1D in the NHL.

my point is that HFCanucks have an equally great track-record with those picks

and we would have more prospects in the system if Jim Benning wasn't trying to make the playoffs, stands pat at the deadline and let our Vets walk away in FA or trade picks for reclamation projects

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Florida Panthers have a legit 1C Barkov, and high end 2C Trochek, a no1 overall pick supposed franchise D Ekblad ,a # 1 OFD who is actually proven in Yandle, a true#1 winger in Huberdeau and legit top 6 wingers like Hoffman and Dadonov, and they ****ing suck

Trochek needs to get to the next level, depth up front and on defense is suspect and Luongo 3-years too old.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

and we would have more prospects in the system if Jim Benning wasn't trying to make the playoffs, stands pat at the deadline and let our Vets walk away in FA or trade picks for reclamation projects
You guys traded Burrows for Dahlen. And Godolbin for Hansen

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Maybe they need to fire Benning and bring in a GM who can build a roster as opposed to a pipeline.

Many Cup winning teams have had somebody draft their core besides the GM with his name on the Cup.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Maybe they need to fire Benning and bring in a GM who can build a roster as opposed to a pipeline.

Many Cup winning teams have had somebody draft their core besides the GM with his name on the Cup.

how much accolades should a gm get when ppl on hf got a better track record predicting who to pick

also whilst not bleeding picks

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
neither of these guys are core players and I would rather have all the 2nd and 3rd round draft picks as a rebuilding team
Dahlen is a nice piece, Godolbin also isnt that bad. But Benning has dealt Vets at the deadline before

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Dahlen is a nice piece, Godolbin also isnt that bad. But Benning has dealt Vets at the deadline before

5 years, what major picks or pieces have been gained at the deadline?

trust me, Benning has done a poor job. The draft and especially how much talent is coming through is rewarding his ineptitude but this reward would be far greater with a good gm

I would take Gorton over Benning in a heartbeat

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
....so you've seen Gretzky then clearly....the greatest goal scorer in the history of the game?

Are you talking pure shooting ability? BecasBe then I'd agree...but in terms of goal scoring I'll take the guy whose had 90 goal seasons...

Yes, clearly I watched a prime Wayne Gretzky. And Wayne Gretzky himself has been quoted & would tell you today that he wasn't a pure goal scorer like Mike Bossy was.

With that said, it's hard to discount the guy who scored 87 & 92 goals etc, but I was referring to guys who were snipers & Cy Young type hockey players. Ovie & Mike Bossy fit that mold...#99 wouldn't be considered a sniper, IMO.

Reactions: Richard Banger

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yes, clearly I watched a prime Wayne Gretzky. And Wayne Gretzky himself has been quoted & would tell you today that he wasn't a pure goal scorer like Mike Bossy was.

With that said, it's hard to discount the guy who scored 87 & 92 goals etc, but I was referring to guys who were snipers & Cy Young type hockey players. Ovie & Mike Bossy fit that mold...#99 wouldn't be considered a sniper, IMO.
Yeah tgo definitely couldn't shoot the puck like those guys could...but he could put the puck anywhere he wanted...in terms of reading the goalie and putting the puck where it needs to go to score...tgo is on another level beyond anyone...the fact he acored the way he did with just an average velocity shot really speaks to how precise of a shooter he was.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Yeah tgo definitely couldn't shoot the puck like those guys could...but he could put the puck anywhere he wanted...in terms of reading the goalie and putting the puck where it needs to go to score...tgo is on another level beyond anyone...the fact he acored the way he did with just an average velocity shot really speaks to how precise of a shooter he was.

It's funny, he's one of the very few handful of players who actually trusted & had a more accurate slap shot than his wrist shot. His wrist shot was well below average, but he was a magician on the breakway, obviously.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
3 top 10 selections and a home run in the 20's.

We gotta do that.

-Kravtsov checks off top 10.
-Miller checks off homerun in the 20's.
-Stealing Zibanejad replaces another top 10.

Now we just need the 1C.

3x top-10 selections: Andersson, Kravtsov, 2019 1st?
Homerun in the 20's: Chytil, Miller

This is completely overlooking Zibanejad, DeAngelo, Howden, Pionk, Shestyorkin, Hajek, Rykov, Lundkvist, et. al.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Now the Blackhawks are a team that know how to tank right.
If only we can learn their ways
I disagree. They aren't losing on purpose. They are like LA, totally invested with winning another with this core. They are just hamstrung by the contracts for that core.

And what are they doing that's right? They are increasing the odds of one pick. They aren't amassing other assets. They aren't selling off their aging core. They made a terrible trade with Panarin. They gave up the better player in a trade a few weeks back to get 2 cheap guys, granted with potential. That's to just get more depth. They aren't doing anything for the future outside of making their first better a few spots.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
One thing the Canucks having going for them is Benning knows how to draft and find value.

They've had their share of misses but he's done well. I wouldn't want him as my GM, but he would be one of the better director of player personel in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->