Around the NHL - Part 2 - Playoffs, PLAYOFFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Strange deal. CHI gave away Patrick Sharp and stud D prospect Stephen Johns this summer and took back Daley and the borderline-useless Ryan Garbutt.

Now they're moving Daley for a defenseman who is worse just to save a couple dollars? If that's the motivation, that's another example of really poor cap management the last few years while Rockford overflows with talent and they sit there with Corey Crawford and Bryan Bickell sucking up $9.5m.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strange deal. CHI gave away Patrick Sharp and stud D prospect Stephen Johns this summer and took back Daley and the borderline-useless Ryan Garbutt.

Now they're moving Daley for a defenseman who is worse just to save a couple dollars? If that's the motivation, that's another example of really poor cap management the last few years while Rockford overflows with talent and they sit there with Corey Crawford and Bryan Bickell sucking up $9.5m.

I don't think anyone can point fingers at Chicago and complain. It sounds confusing and head scratching sometimes but look at their results.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
God I wish we could take advantage of a team or teams via favorable or lopsided trades. Knowing us, we will give up one of our top prospects for some useless vet.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
God I wish we could take advantage of a team or teams via favorable or lopsided trades. Knowing us, we will give up one of our top prospects for some useless vet.

I know Yandle is good...but that trade...I mean...giving up a little over a year of Yandle for Duclair and a 1st +. That fits

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
When is the last time DM did that?

Since I hopped on board The Good Ship Coyote, we've traded away Gormley, Korpikoski, Sam Gagner, Zbynek Michalek, Antoine Vermette, Keith Yandle, Devan Dubnyk, Rob Klinkhammer, David Rundblad, Rusty Klesla, Chris Brown, Matt Lombardi, Raffi Torres, Steve Sullivan, Joel Rechlicz and Kale Kessy, Marc Cheverie, Harrison Ruopp, Curtis McElhinney and a handful of mostly-late picks.

Yandle, yep, Torres, yeah, a bit from an emotional standpoint. Anyone else just tore up about any of these departures?

Getting Dahlbeck and Merkley from CHI for nothing we needed is pretty lopsided. Getting Letunov for nothing we needed is pretty lopsided. Getting Dvorak for Rundblad is pretty lopsided.

Don't confuse "signing a veteran and developing the kids slowly" with "mortgaging the future for short-term gain." Have faith in Obi Won Maloney ...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Rundblad on waivers

Maybe DM/Tip were correct about Runblad and world beating Gormley after all:) It is really too bad, because we were counting on one of or both of them to be in top 4 rolls for us. I am glad we got Elliot for Gormley too. If Elliot can play a little better in his own end, his offensive skills will keep him in the line up. I like his jump, reminds me of Yandle a little, a guy who can make plays.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Wow Sharks are absolute ****. Gave up 4 power play goals to Colorado who we played last night. Sharks lost 6 to 3.

LA is a lock for the first playoff spot but the other two are completely up for grabs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe DM/Tip were correct about Runblad and world beating Gormley after all:) It is really too bad, because we were counting on one of or both of them to be in top 4 rolls for us. I am glad we got Elliot for Gormley too. If Elliot can play a little better in his own end, his offensive skills will keep him in the line up. I like his jump, reminds me of Yandle a little, a guy who can make plays.

If those two didn't bust our D would have been set for years.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Sam Gagner and Justin Hodgman are both on waivers, Hodgman on unconditional for release.

Not a huge shock that so many ex-Coyotes are on waivers, to me at least. Just goes to show the level of roster we've had in the past couple of years.

Feb 12, 2003
While I'm not sure if I would make that argument, one could debate that Rundblad and Gormley may be where they are now due to poor development. I think it's something worth considering when you look at our blueline and other than OEL who was a talent before we ever got our hands on him, we haven't really developed too many defensemen in recent history to get excited about. Murphy & Stone would be the best examples, and I'm not sure there are many of us who are concluding them as a success either. They are two names that are often thrown around as hoping someone thinks they are better than they are so we can get an upgrade.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Huberdeau's sister singing the national anthem at the FLA / MTL game in Miami. Apparently Huberdeau's family is all from MTL and as a kid, he and the family came down in the RV during the winter. FSFlorida broadcast had a picture of the family with the "let's go Habs" sign from 15 years ago, but according to dad, they're all Panthers fans now :biglaugh:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
While I'm not sure if I would make that argument, one could debate that Rundblad and Gormley may be where they are now due to poor development.

I wouldn't buy that argument at all. Both have been given plenty of opportunity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
While I'm not sure if I would make that argument, one could debate that Rundblad and Gormley may be where they are now due to poor development. I think it's something worth considering when you look at our blueline and other than OEL who was a talent before we ever got our hands on him, we haven't really developed too many defensemen in recent history to get excited about. Murphy & Stone would be the best examples, and I'm not sure there are many of us who are concluding them as a success either. They are two names that are often thrown around as hoping someone thinks they are better than they are so we can get an upgrade.

I couldn't disagree more. These kids were playing hockey since they were knee high to a grasshopper. As the kids get older the competition gets better and the weaknesses of the player shows. Most don't get a sniff at playing pro. NHL organizations know how to develop players, some better than others, but it is the player and their individual talent level dictates if they can play at a higher level. The player is given direction, but it's up to them to make it happen.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I couldn't disagree more. These kids were playing hockey since they were knee high to a grasshopper. As the kids get older the competition gets better and the weaknesses of the player shows. Most don't get a sniff at playing pro. NHL organizations know how to develop players, some better than others, but it is the player and their individual talent level dictates if they can play at a higher level. The player is given direction, but it's up to them to make it happen.

Also, they have both been given a second chance with a new organization. Runblad is surrounded by tons of talent in Chicago and he still gets waved a year into his time there. Colorado is desperate for D and Gormley is hanging on by a thread there, barely in the line up. Neither player was rushed, which can hurt development, both are getting another chance and a fresh start, yet nothing has changed.

Our other top 20 picks that have worked out are OEL/Bods/Hanzal/Domi. Hanzal was 17th, Domi was 12th, similar to Gormley 13th and Runblad 17th. It is a harder transition for D men, OEL was 6th, so much higher and much better chances that he works out.There are only 6 D on each club versus 8 wingers. As a wing, you are not exposed as much on D, so easier to have some flaws and make it. 4 C's on each team but they can be hidden on the wing to start, or eventually make it as a wing, so still not as hard as making it as a D. There are many players drafted in the teens that don't make it up to expectations, some are busts like Gormley/Runblad.

If it were a development issue, some young players would leave here and succeed else where, that has not happened yet. Look at Reider, as an example, I bet the Oilers are kicking themselves, they missed that one big time, gave up a solid all around top 6 forward that would be perfect for them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad