Around the NHL - Part 2 - Playoffs, PLAYOFFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

...so if you're still upset at IceArizona about being lazy with the new uniforms, now you can see just how lazy they actually were. :laugh:

These are as bad as ours but at least they didn't put the white at the bottom of the sleeves of dark unis like our morons did. Obviously we just used the NHL template. Guess that saved money in having to design something that might actually mirror the community the freaking team is in. I wonder if it has anything to do with Reebok? Uniforms had more character and the replicas were of much better quality before Reebok took over.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Love this for Nashville. Their D is still very talented without Jones and Ryjo fills a huge void with a superstar talent. Major upgrade to their roster.
On the flip side Jones/Werenski top pairing could be scary in a couple of years!

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
When the game mattered the most McKinnon absolutely owned him and there was little resistance. I thought London had 2 D men who were better.

Did you watch live or on tv? It's a different game live.

I watched on tv.

Zadorov played like garbage that tournament, Maatta and Hughes were solid as usual and Mermis didn't look to great - Maatta was probably their best dman, but I don't think Jones was worse.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Jones traded for RyJo, wow....I know RyJo might have attitude problems but a young 1C is expensive for a 3D. Most think Jones is a 2D now I guess. We are going to have a tough time finding a RH2D with out paying a huge price because high end D are just so valuable. This could be why NYI is holding out on Hamonic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What an awful trade for the Kings.

Weal is an AHL contract. A 3rd to get an NHL D (as bad as Luke is sometimes) plus roll the dice on Vinny, both at half price, isn't the worst trade ever.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Jones traded for RyJo, wow....I know RyJo might have attitude problems but a young 1C is expensive for a 3D. Most think Jones is a 2D now I guess.
I'd rather have Jones. Jones is a beast. A real mother****er. He's so big and such a good skater and he has a great shot. This is a very, very interesting trade.
Weal is an AHL contract. A 3rd to get an NHL D (as bad as Luke is sometimes) plus roll the dice on Vinny, both at half price, isn't the worst trade ever.
Agreed.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Zadorov and Maatta both showed better than Jones that week. Jones wasn't even Portland's top played D that week. Again he looked like he had all of the tools but lacked intensity to take over his own end, he might still get there as the game is changing. McKinnon looked really good that week but in honesty to me Domi was the most fun to watch, he was always creating something and played with an edge.
I watched on tv.

Zadorov played like garbage that tournament, Maatta and Hughes were solid as usual and Mermis didn't look to great - Maatta was probably their best dman, but I don't think Jones was worse.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Maybe DM made a mistake by trading for Runblad and drafting Gormley. But, he dumped them both for some vale, give him credit for that. All the blame on this board that Tip received for the way he handled both players, looks pretty unwarranted now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe DM made a mistake by trading for Runblad and drafting Gormley. But, he dumped them both for some vale, give him credit for that. All the blame on this board that Tip received for the way he handled both players, looks pretty unwarranted now.

Most on this board were throwing knives at DM, DT and the organization on the way these players were handled, and as usual the posters were wrong. :)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Most on this board were throwing knives at DM, DT and the organization on the way these players were handled, and as usual the posters were wrong. :)

I wasn't throwing knives but I was hoping Gormley would break out. Rundblad, on the other hand - I knew he was a disaster on the first shift I saw him play. While others were throwing knives I was hoping Tippett would tie him up and throw him in the basement. :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Kinda surprised Gormley has fallen so far. Even while not ideal development always thought he'd at least be an unspectacular 2nd or 3rd pairing Dman.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
something happened to his foot speed and it's not NHL caliber

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Using Gormley being waived to point score misses the point to what (I think) most of the moaning was about. People were far more upset about how Gormley/Rundblad's development was handled than they were by them being traded away. They were given so few NHL opportunities while here. If practices / AHL games were enough to evaluate their abilities, then I can't see what the amount of time they spent sitting in the press box or bouncing between Arizona & Portland, achieved. It couldn't have built trade value.

Last season's horror show was the perfect opportunity to evaluate what we had in our older prospects. Andrew Campbell was given more starts than Gormley last year, netted us nothing in return & got no NHL deal before signing for the Marlies. I don't think players we've had on the roster the last few seasons have proven to be all that better than the likes of those we've recently traded away, or have only just started giving opportunites to.

This season has been so much better in terms of young players being given more opportunities. I don't think criticisms of the previous years are unjustified.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Using Gormley being waived to point score misses the point to what (I think) most of the moaning was about. People were far more upset about how Gormley/Rundblad's development was handled than they were by them being traded away. They were given so few NHL opportunities while here. If practices / AHL games were enough to evaluate their abilities, then I can't see what the amount of time they spent sitting in the press box or bouncing between Arizona & Portland, achieved. It couldn't have built trade value.

Last season's horror show was the perfect opportunity to evaluate what we had in our older prospects.
Andrew Campbell was given more starts than Gormley last year, netted us nothing in return & got no NHL deal before signing for the Marlies. I don't think players we've had on the roster the last few seasons have proven to be all that better than the likes of those we've recently traded away, or have only just started giving opportunites to.

This season has been so much better in terms of young players being given more opportunities. I don't think criticisms of the previous years are unjustified.

Of course playing Gormley more last year could have further reduced his trade value - maybe DM & DT knew what they were doing?:dunno:

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Of course playing Gormley more last year could have further reduced his trade value - maybe DM & DT knew what they were doing?:dunno:
Ha, yeah maybe. Though I'm not sure how much value the recently waived Stefan Elliott represented. 2nd round pick looks pretty good for Rundblad now though.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Last season's horror show was the perfect opportunity to evaluate what we had in our older prospects. Andrew Campbell was given more starts than Gormley last year, netted us nothing in return & got no NHL deal before signing for the Marlies. I don't think players we've had on the roster the last few seasons have proven to be all that better than the likes of those we've recently traded away, or have only just started giving opportunites to.

I do.

The the players with enough talent are playing, it's just that simple.

If we didn't have Domi, Duclair, Martinook and Dahlback playing consistent minutes in the NHL, the same folks would be complaining about Dauphin being sent back.

As for the press box? The boys evidently showed AHL caliber play and were most likely on the cusp of NHL caliber play during practice, therefore the next progression is to visibly see what they need to work on to make the big show. Not a waste at all in my (now humble) opinion.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Good post. I agree on all counts. Whether it's Tippett starting to finally move out of the 80's thinking or DM limiting his options forcing change, we are finally playing the guys with actual talent in most instances. I'm happy about that. Whether all the guys playing now actually work out, are traded or fail and get released doesn't matter. At least they are getting NHL experience, coaching and development to find out how good they can be.

That's what most of us that were unhappy were *****ing about. It wasn't about one or two particular guys. It was watching plugs with no chance to improve themselves or the team's future tread water. Boring hockey with no chance to contend for a cup now or in the future. I certainly don't want to pay my hard earned money to see that.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
People are forgetting that we really didn't have a lot of talent coming into the system until the last couple of years. DT didn't have much to work with down on the farm. It's not like a lot of our farmhands have found success elsewhere. Relatively few have made it to the NHL with other teams.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I do.

The the players with enough talent are playing, it's just that simple.

If we didn't have Domi, Duclair, Martinook and Dahlback playing consistent minutes in the NHL, the same folks would be complaining about Dauphin being sent back.

As for the press box? The boys evidently showed AHL caliber play and were most likely on the cusp of NHL caliber play during practice, therefore the next progression is to visibly see what they need to work on to make the big show. Not a waste at all in my (now humble) opinion.

People are forgetting that we really didn't have a lot of talent coming into the system until the last couple of years. DT didn't have much to work with down on the farm. It's not like a lot of our farmhands have found success elsewhere. Relatively few have made it to the NHL with other teams.

You guys hit the nail on the head. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad