Around the NHL - Part 2 - Playoffs, PLAYOFFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If there were any Ducks fans who hadn't jumped off the ledge yet they might start now, yeesh.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If there were any Ducks fans who hadn't jumped off the ledge yet they might start now, yeesh.

Any lurking duck fans that are considering jumping, you can jump onto the coyotes bandwagon. Of course I think the wheels will fall of and it'll burst into flames at some point, but eh.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I expect BB will be fired anyday now to save face for poor GM decisions. Bieksa is so terrible.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Clearly the arena wasn't loud enough. Getz already explained the reason for the losses.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
The amount of abuse Crosby takes is stunning. Probably one of the 10 most talented players of all time, and his reward is to make less money than PK Subban and endure nonstop physical abuse from guys who aren't in his league. Hope he's OK. Inexcusable to hit a player like that when you're both standing still. McSorley-esque. Inexcusable to hit him again in the back when he's crumpled on the ice. Incredibly dangerous play. AP, THIS is the kind of thing players should be suspended for. Not talking bad about us in a post-game scrum.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
The amount of abuse Crosby takes is stunning. Probably one of the 10 most talented players of all time, and his reward is to make less money than PK Subban and endure nonstop physical abuse from guys who aren't in his league. Hope he's OK. Inexcusable to hit a player like that when you're both standing still. McSorley-esque. Inexcusable to hit him again in the back when he's crumpled on the ice. Incredibly dangerous play. AP, THIS is the kind of thing players should be suspended for. Not talking bad about us in a post-game scrum.

but people talking bad about us hurts my feelings

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I've always liked Dubinsky, and Sid's always rubbed me the wrong way, but wow... And then the second cross check while he was already down on the ice -- hard enough to break your stick?!
This is the sort of ************* that should be removed from the game. Not fighting or open ice hitting.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I've always liked Dubinsky, and Sid's always rubbed me the wrong way, but wow... And then the second cross check while he was already down on the ice -- hard enough to break your stick?!
This is the sort of ************* that should be removed from the game. Not fighting or open ice hitting.

Agreed, never has been any honor in that brand of cowardice.

A crosscheck is a crosscheck and it shouldn't even be allowed, in front of the net, or anywhere else.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

This. To me there should be a clear separation between hockey plays gone wrong, and dirty cheap shots. A high hit, a late hit, stuff like that you still punish, but less severely. Sucker punching, cross checking people's necks and crap like that you punish harshly and swiftly. Unless you ban hits high hits and late hits are going to happen, but obvious dirty intent to injure stuff like that happens way too frequently, and it shouldn't.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Correct.

Agreed, never has been any honor in that brand of cowardice.

A crosscheck is a crosscheck and it shouldn't even be allowed, in front of the net, or anywhere else.

Remember how Tkachuk use to get abused in front of the net? I can not understand how they do not call these blatant cross checks. They happen every game yet they hardly ever get called.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Correct.

Remember how Tkachuk use to get abused in front of the net? I can not understand how they do not call these blatant cross checks. They happen every game yet they hardly ever get called.

For years and years now huh? I can't necessarily blame the players for the "legal" crosschecks..... if they're going to allow 'em :laugh: But why then is slashing and butt ending and all stick work not allowed as seen fit by officials? :sarcasm:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

I love the rough stuff in the crease. Cross-checks, slashes, pushing a guy's lid over his brow from behind, etc. I think the "rules" are different in the crease. They call the nastiest of it, and swallow their whistles for most of the "battle". And I'm fine with that. But a cross check to the neck? Come on. No room for that on the ice.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I love the rough stuff in the crease. Cross-checks, slashes, pushing a guy's lid over his brow from behind, etc. I think the "rules" are different in the crease. They call the nastiest of it, and swallow their whistles for most of the "battle". And I'm fine with that. But a cross check to the neck? Come on. No room for that on the ice.

It's only good if your on defense..... as a forward I thought otherwise! :laugh:

Seriously, I think the only call they shouldn't make is a trip that happened because the defender had his stick between the offensive players legs while trying to physically drive him from the crease. Crosschecks etc. are just lazy defense.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The call generally depends on if it is the half-push, half-check cross check or the full, wound up cross check. A few love taps to the guys calves. The big grin when kihekah finally has enough and turns around and gives you a two-hander and gets the penalty... etc, etc... ;)

Anyway, as a fan, I love watching the battle for position at the crease. It seems more rare these days, which seems sort of odd because players are getting bigger.

At best the cross-check to the neck might have been extremely careless. Giving him the treatment, breaking your stick over his midsection when he's turtled on the ice is ridiculous. And if you do that, it makes it hard to say the first cross-check just caught him higher than you intended. Can't believe he only got a game. The NHL's wheel of justice spins on.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Yes!!!!

1437981059.jpg

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Just got done watching CHI/LA overtime. This is exactly why I love it for 5 minute OT, but wouldn't want it full time; back and forth action, pretty constant until Gaborik won it on a breakaway.

Love it for OT, but it would get old in a hurry if it was implemented full time.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
John Tortorella needs to give his head a shake. What an idiot. Dubinsky got away from a McSorley-esque foul with a 1 game suspension. Dubinsky is lucky that the DOPS was asleep at the wheel on this.

Torts has got about 1.75 seasons until his next firing. I'd recommend he not advertise the fact that he is brain-damaged too loudly, because he'll need to slip that by an unsuspecting GM in summer 2017 if he wants to stay in hockey.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Now that Dubinsky has a suspension history he will probably be suspended every time they play the Pens as he constantly does similar crap to Crosby and for some strange reason the stripes tend to allow it. If we want fighting out of the game it needs to start punishing this crap more severely, it's what started the fighting.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Now that Dubinsky has a suspension history he will probably be suspended every time they play the Pens as he constantly does similar crap to Crosby and for some strange reason the stripes tend to allow it. If we want fighting out of the game it needs to start punishing this crap more severely, it's what started the fighting.
Yup. Either allow the players to police themselves or actually punish the stuff that needs to be punished. I'm all for eliminating fighting if that also means getting rid of the dirty stuff, but I think if you eliminate fighting and the discipline stays as is you'll just see teams trading cheap shots imo.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
According to this site under the old overtime rules, "around 13.5% of regular season games will end in a shootout."

I did a quick adding up of the games so far this season under the new 3 on 3 and the rate of a game going to a shootout is 7.9%. (28 shootouts in 354 games played).

The 3 on 3 has reduced shootouts by about 42%. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad