Around the NHL - Part 2 - Playoffs, PLAYOFFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Sharks were robbed of the OT win by the refs.

Here's the deal as I see it. Rule 78(a) says:

If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed

This was the ruling.

The question is, did Pavelski initiate or was he pushed?

Rule 78(c)(Note 2):

If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed to be contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

Not only was Pavelski pushed, but it was also technically a foul since the puck was no where near him, but then there is the judgement call about making a "reasonable" effort to avoid contact. I think he may have avoided contact had he not fell over Weber's leg.

My take is that the push created an uncontrollable momentum situation so that contact with Weber could not be avoided, and thus he could not reasonably avoid the contact with Rinne. (but I am biased as I want the Sharks to win)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Here's the deal as I see it. Rule 78(a) says:

This was the ruling.

The question is, did Pavelski initiate or was he pushed?

Rule 78(c)(Note 2):

Not only was Pavelski pushed, but it was also technically a foul since the puck was no where near him, but then there is the judgement call about making a "reasonable" effort to avoid contact. I think he may have avoided contact had he not fell over Weber's leg.

My take is that the push created an uncontrollable momentum situation so that contact with Weber could not be avoided, and thus he could not reasonably avoid the contact with Rinne. (but I am biased as I want the Sharks to win)

I thought it was a goal myself, but that was a very close tough call to make.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd like to see them cut down on obvious obstruction and interference, so those types of goals should count IMO. If your D is just going to throw the forward into the net, he should be punished for it.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Daley for Scuderi and Hagelin for Perron + Clendening are starting to look like absolutely brilliant trades.

Caps have not been able to find again their early season mojo in these playoffs. They made heavy weather of the one dimensional Flyers and now are making mistakes out of frustration that are killing them. They won't win three in a row against the Pens.

Tampa looks playoffs savy and dangerous. I guess Tampa vs Pens for me in the East. I actually see the winner of this hypothetical series as the cup winner.

In the West, I can't see anyone consistent enough to challenge. Dallas' goaltending will always be a problem, and the Blues are racking up tough minutes against difficult teams. This will eventually catch up with them.

Preds vs Sharks is a very open series; both would be very inexperienced if they make it to the Stanley cup finals - this would also mean getting through either the Blues or the Stars which are superior in my mind any way.

There you go; I will probably be embarrassingly wrong in just a few days but felt like giving it a go. Ha!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Daley for Scuderi and Hagelin for Perron + Clendening are starting to look like absolutely brilliant trades.

Caps have not been able to find again their early season mojo in these playoffs. They made heavy weather of the one dimensional Flyers and now are making mistakes out of frustration that are killing them. They won't win three in a row against the Pens.

Tampa looks playoffs savy and dangerous. I guess Tampa vs Pens for me in the East. I actually see the winner of this hypothetical series as the cup winner.

In the West, I can't see anyone consistent enough to challenge. Dallas' goaltending will always be a problem, and the Blues are racking up tough minutes against difficult teams. This will eventually catch up with them.

Preds vs Sharks is a very open series; both would be very inexperienced if they make it to the Stanley cup finals - this would also mean getting through either the Blues or the Stars which are superior in my mind any way.

There you go; I will probably be embarrassingly wrong in just a few days but felt like giving it a go. Ha!

On paper I like the Sharks, but they need to prove it on the ice.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
With no Canada teams in the playoffs, it's nice to see the Blue Jays and Raptors stealing the spotlight up north.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Pens can't beat Holtby on back-to-back golden f***ing chances. Caps offensive game + Holtby's performance, it's looking like Washington will wrap this one up to bring the series to 2-3.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I thought it was a goal myself, but that was a very close tough call to make.

You must have been a defenseman back in the day. As a forward, I hated that crap. Even worse when a penalty for goaltender interference is called in those situation. I agree, tough call. They stuck with the ruling on the ice, which is fine by me.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Sharks take a 3-2 lead with a convincing home win.

It'll be tough to close the series out in Nashville, but if it means anything, the Predators are a franchise that has never advanced beyond the second round in their short history. The only other two are Atlanta/Winnipeg and Columbus. We were the fourth until 2012, and if I recall correctly, before 2012 we had also never actually won a second round game (something like advanced twice as the 1.0 Jets, but gotten swept in the second round by the eventual-champion Oilers both times).

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The Sharks would be in the WCF now if that OT goal had counted. Oh well, hopefully they'll get the job done and hopefully in the next game.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Such an obvious crosscheck by Gaustad; makes me think the referees didn't rewind the tape far enough. It so obviously causes the collision with the goalie, I'm baffled how that goal could possibly be disallowed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Mike Ribeiro is scratched for two games, then gets back in the lineup and takes a misconduct for yapping at the refs. Dummy.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Mike Ribeiro is scratched for two games, then gets back in the lineup and takes a misconduct for yapping at the refs. Dummy.

Ha, wonder if he gets a job next year somewhere. Dude just can't keep it together.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Contract talks between the Avs and Boedker have "broken down". Color me shocked.

What, did Don Maloney take over negotiations for Colorado in this instance? Because we ALL know that it was DM's fault for not resigning him here. :sarcasm:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
It's just obvious he's chasing money. Whoever gives him the most cash and term.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's just obvious he's chasing money. Whoever gives him the most cash and term.

I think that is the case with every UFA, all about the money. Bods agent might have misplayed his hand since it looks like Colorado and Arizona could not come to terms. I like Bods but view him as a second line wing. His pay will be less then a Top 4D, Top3C, and first pairing winger that are UFA's. Interesting to see where he lands and for how much.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
That's a damn shame. I love Boedker. Not sure if it's his agent or what, but he's going to be rich no matter what. Hate to see him seemingly chasing money like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad