NHL Around the NHL - Offseason moves and rumblings II - Habs trade Max67 to Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Mark Stone was given poor advice by his agent. Very poor advice.
Too bad - he comes here he wins a Cup in 2020 gets an A on his jersey, buys a house in Hingham, lives here the rest of his life as a great Bruins

Yah I’d say he got bad advice

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Interesting. Looks like there's a good chance he stays in Columbus. The actual Russian text says he is meeting with the GM to discuss his next contract. I doubt he would make that tweet and then discuss a trade. Pretty important for the Jackets to keep him if they want to be competitive.

Reactions: TCB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Too bad - he comes here he wins a Cup in 2020 gets an A on his jersey, buys a house in Hingham, lives here the rest of his life as a great Bruins

Yah I’d say he got bad advice

I just don't understand the move to select salary arbitration. If it goes to that, he won't get more then a 2 year deal and it'll come under market value. I know offer sheets are non-existent and that's more to do with teams locking up players earlier and the fact they have to sign before January 1 to be eligible to play that season. But selecting arbitration also takes away the opportunity to negotiate with other teams.

Is there anyone that would not sign Mark Stone to say a 5 year deal at $30 million - a $6 million AAV?

An offer sheet at that contract would cost a first, second and third round pick. Is Stone worth it? If the picks are late?

There are many in the hockey industry that believe, despite a huge net worth, Eugene Melnyk's cash flow is almost non-existent. No one really knows, but that is the speculation.

So if you break down that 5 year, $30 million deal as follows:

Year 1: $2 million salary - $10 million signing bonus
Year 2: $4.5 million salary
Year 3: $4.5 million salary
Year 4: $4.5 million salary
Year 5: $4.5 million salary

there are those that think Melnyk could not pay the $10 million up front to keep Stone.

I don't want to get into the whole Sens' financial picture. They just re-financed $135 million in debt. It's all there for the public.

Someone could have had them over a barrel, but Stone (or his agent) took that out of everyone's hands.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I just don't understand the move to select salary arbitration. If it goes to that, he won't get more then a 2 year deal and it'll come under market value. I know offer sheets are non-existent and that's more to do with teams locking up players earlier and the fact they have to sign before January 1 to be eligible to play that season. But selecting arbitration also takes away the opportunity to negotiate with other teams.

Is there anyone that would not sign Mark Stone to say a 5 year deal at $30 million - a $6 million AAV?

An offer sheet at that contract would cost a first, second and third round pick. Is Stone worth it? If the picks are late?

There are many in the hockey industry that believe, despite a huge net worth, Eugene Melnyk's cash flow is almost non-existent. No one really knows, but that is the speculation.

So if you break down that 5 year, $30 million deal as follows:

Year 1: $2 million salary - $10 million signing bonus
Year 2: $4.5 million salary
Year 3: $4.5 million salary
Year 4: $4.5 million salary
Year 5: $4.5 million salary

there are those that think Melnyk could not pay the $10 million up front to keep Stone.

I don't want to get into the whole Sens' financial picture. They just re-financed $135 million in debt. It's all there for the public.

Someone could have had them over a barrel, but Stone (or his agent) took that out of everyone's hands.

The one thing that could be is he may want out of Ottawa. I think they said he would be a UFA after a one year contract? It gives him full control after that year without giving Ottawa a chance to match. Ottawa really doesn’t want to give Colorado the first overall next draft so they might find a way to match but as you said, it could cost a lot up front.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The one thing that could be is he may want out of Ottawa. I think they said he would be a UFA after a one year contract? It gives him full control after that year without giving Ottawa a chance to match. Ottawa really doesn’t want to give Colorado the first overall next draft so they might find a way to match but as you said, it could cost a lot up front.
That's my guess -- sign a one year deal, then become a UFA and let the league bid for your services on a nice long-term deal. Who knows. Something is in the drinking water in Ottawa.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
171782138.jpg.0.jpg

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Interesting. Looks like there's a good chance he stays in Columbus. The actual Russian text says he is meeting with the GM to discuss his next contract. I doubt he would make that tweet and then discuss a trade. Pretty important for the Jackets to keep him if they want to be competitive.

THE ATHLETIC: Aaron Portzline reports Kekalainen doesn’t intend to beg or persuade Panarin to change his mind, but will instead “make clear to Panarin how the next 12 months would be handled in Columbus, that he could be traded at any time if the Blue Jackets get what they consider to be a fair offer.” Portzline adds Kekalainen and Panarin’s agent, Dan Milstein, expect the winger will open the 2018-19 season with the Blue Jackets.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad