Around the NHL (NHL Tonight is an Abomination)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Had to look that up but it is actually true. Dubnyk is just below .830% after four games. That is something.

The good news is that they have clearly identified and eliminated their problem by scratching Yakupov. So they've got that one going for them, which is nice.

Yeah, I was surprised about it when I looked it up; there's bad and then there's that. I think this game might bring them closer together though. :laugh:

This is all true, but they've still only managed to score once against one of the worst defenses in the league.

But they should totally keep scratching their leading goal scorer from last year. That will definitely help them win games.

I think one centre is still out with a broken jaw (I don't suggest looking up a picture) and then they scratched Yakupov to teach him a lesson. That lesson being that scoring goals is actually important and that his lapses aren't really that bad in hindsight.

With that talent in the forwards it points more towards coaching to me.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I think one centre is still out with a broken jaw (I don't suggest looking up a picture) and then they scratched Yakupov to teach him a lesson. That lesson being that scoring goals is actually important and that his lapses aren't really that bad in hindsight.

I know Gagner's been out, but you would think they could generate some offense against the Caps with the players they do have in.

Hall's been pretty awful defensively tonight. I wonder if he will be taught a lesson, too.

Edit: Will Acton just got his first career goal, so I guess there's that.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I know Gagner's been out, but you would think they could generate some offense against the Caps with the players they do have in.

Hall's been pretty awful defensively tonight. I wonder if he will be taught a lesson, too.

That's what makes me think it's coaching, but they've been scoring against better teams than the Caps. It's just an all around mess.

Doubtful, but I bet they decide that Yakupov learned his lesson real quick. I think they're all pretty weak defensively most of the time but I admittedly don't watch a lot of them, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
That's what makes me think it's coaching, but they've been scoring against better teams than the Caps. It's just an all around mess.

Doubtful, but I bet they decide that Yakupov learned his lesson real quick. I think they're all pretty weak defensively most of the time but I admittedly don't watch a lot of them, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. Edmonton is just not a good team. The thing is they have a lot of good pieces. If they traded one of Eberle or Yakupov, they could get some pieces in return that would help sort some of their issues out.

As a side note, I find it funny that Yohe has made a few comments on the Yakupov thing. If only he was that outspoken about the dumb things the Pens do.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Welp... the Oilers look like they're totally wretched again this season.

The Pens are gonna lose to them tomorrow, aren't they?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You're not wrong. Edmonton is just not a good team. The thing is they have a lot of good pieces. If they traded one of Eberle or Yakupov, they could get some pieces in return that would help sort some of their issues out.

As a side note, I find it funny that Yohe has made a few comments on the Yakupov thing. If only he was that outspoken about the dumb things the Pens do.

I guess the question is whether or not they know what their main issue is. They're just a reminder of how drafting high and rebuilding doesn't automatically work. I can't say I'm a fan of much of what their organization does. They probably wouldn't be a bad trading partner though, given how they like to draft forwards and Shero loves defense.

Yohe is probably getting all of his cattiness out of the way before complimenting Bylsma on his use of Dupuis. Handicapping Crosby makes things more fun!

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
If we lose to Edmonton tomorrow, I'll be speechless.

One of their problems is they have too many of the same players. Perron, Gagner, Eberle. Skilled as hell, but these aren't guys that are going to win you playoff games against Chicago and Boston. Small players who are most effective off the rush and when they have tons of time to work with... which you don't get against good teams, most of the time. Hall's making more boneheaded plays than I ever remember, Justin Schultz is still trying to not be horrible defensively, and RNH is still filling out and awful at faceoffs.

Yeah, they got some problems, but also a lot of potential and pieces to work with to figure it out.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't like how they develop players. Which seems to be: draft a first round forward, put forward in lineup, let player do whatever (hyperbole, but still). The young players just doesn't seem to be growing in some pretty crucial ways.

I also don't think they know what they want to do or be.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
NPbQxpP.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Edmonton needs to make a big trade to shake up the culture of their team. They play like a bunch of individuals and lack an attitude committed to doing what it takes to win. One of their big 4 needs to be moved for a top pairing defenseman. That would fix most of their problems with one stone.

member 51464

They should definitely trade us Yakupov for Orpik and Niskanen.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
They should definitely trade us Yakupov for Orpik and Niskanen.

In theory, I love the idea of having Yakupov on this team. It would be wonderful to finally have a winger with an elite shot on Sid's wing.

The problem is, he would never get a chance to be on Sid's wing (and in turn wouldn't fit anywhere else in the lineup) and Yakupov also pretty much represents everything Dan does not like.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
In theory, I love the idea of having Yakupov on this team. It would be wonderful to finally have a winger with an elite shot on Sid's wing.

The problem is, he would never get a chance to be on Sid's wing (and in turn wouldn't fit anywhere else in the lineup) and Yakupov also pretty much represents everything Dan does not like.

Yeah, we've seen how this plays out before. Either Malkin has a new LW or Sutter/4th line does, and yes, I know he's an RW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I thought that was Despres.

Same difference? :D

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, we've seen how this plays out before. Either Malkin has a new LW or Sutter/4th line does, and yes, I know he's an RW.

Exactly.

I thought that was Despres.

Same difference? :D

Meh, I think Yak takes this one.

Young? - Check
Skilled? - Check
Not even slightly a grinder? - Check
European? - Check

Although, he already plays his off wing, so there's that.

Could you imagine if we did acquire him and Dan switched him to LW after claiming that he switched Iggy because "there are a lot of benefits to playing your off-wing" and "Let me tell you a story about James Neal"

I would love to hear that press conference :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly.

Meh, I think Yak takes this one.

Young? - Check
Skilled? - Check
Not even slightly a grinder? - Check
European? - Check

Although, he already plays his off wing, so there's that.

Could you imagine if we did acquire him and Dan switched him to LW after claiming that he switched Iggy because "there are a lot of benefits to playing your off-wing" and "Let me tell you a story about James Neal"

I would love to hear that press conference :laugh:

No spot on the LW. No way he supplants Kunitz. No way he goes with Geno, not with Jokinen there. Bennett's got L3 LW. And, do you think there's any way a career curtain jerking jabroni like Yak EVER would get a shift at L4 LW over a future half of famer like Tanner Glass? Please. This team doesn't need Yak. Doesn't need any young players. As long as there are Brenden Morrows in the hockey world, young players serve one purpose and one purpose only. :rant:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't think Yakupov is what this team needs. His pedigree will also insure that he gets a major salary some time soon, and he isn't cheap on his ELC to start with.

Thinking about Yakupov for this team is simply salivating about YOUNG STUD TALENT, rather than looking at team needs. Not that identifying team needs is something the Pens should get points for considering the last several seasons.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think Yakupov is what this team needs. His pedigree will also insure that he gets a major salary some time soon, and he isn't cheap on his ELC to start with.

Thinking about Yakupov for this team is simply salivating about YOUNG STUD TALENT, rather than looking at team needs. Not that identifying team needs is something the Pens should get points for considering the last several seasons.

I think you unfairly judge the Pens two pronged strategy of mitigating their greatest advantage and drafting defensive prospects for the sake of drafting defensive prospects. :p:

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
If we ever got Yak (spoiler: we won't), I would make Neal Sid's RWer and put Yak with Malkin. That just makes so much more sense. Neal with Sid would still tear it up, and Yakupov plays such an un-Crosby like game it's unreal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rumor has Philly making a play for Yak in a 'blockbuster' trade.

Oh Homer, you just couldn't resist the annual blow up the team exercise, could you?

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
If we ever got Yak (spoiler: we won't), I would make Neal Sid's RWer and put Yak with Malkin. That just makes so much more sense. Neal with Sid would still tear it up, and Yakupov plays such an un-Crosby like game it's unreal.

An all-Euro line of JJ-Malkin-Yak? It'd be the second coming of Straka-Lang-Kovalev!

oh wait... DB. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad