Around the NHL (NHL Tonight is an Abomination)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Rumor has Philly making a play for Yak in a 'blockbuster' trade.

Oh Homer, you just couldn't resist the annual blow up the team exercise, could you?

There is only one person reporting that and they are extremely far from being a reliable source.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Rumor has Philly making a play for Yak in a 'blockbuster' trade.

Oh Homer, you just couldn't resist the annual blow up the team exercise, could you?

This would not surprise me, nor would the Rangers making a play for him with Nash out indefinitely (concussion). The Rangers need the offense more IMO, and their D depth is much better than Philly's (more to trade with). Philly's problem is an aging and beat up defense with spare parts plugged in. In either case I think there's a 50/50 probability you're looking at another Filatov / Zherdev type situation. Just a gut feeling.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Pass on Biron, but I'd like Asham back. Never a bad thing to have a tough guy who can take an actual shift.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm usually not someone who takes pleasure in the suffering of others, but man is it great seeing Philly fans turn on Giroux. Blaming injuries, linemates and the team as well. Best player in the world I tell ya.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Just went to check the standings on NHL.com and they have a category for "wild card." This is gonna take some getting used to.

So conference standing are pretty irrelevant now right? All that matters is division (top 3) and wildcard (next best 2)? I hate change.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Just went to check the standings on NHL.com and they have a category for "wild card." This is gonna take some getting used to.

So conference standing are pretty irrelevant now right? All that matters is division (top 3) and wildcard (next best 2)? I hate change.
Yes.

I don't like it either, it's dumb.

Side note: Kadri vs Minnesota, Saad vs Carolina, Voracek vs Vancouver, Kesler vs Philly.

I need to play two of those guys and sit the other two. Thoughts? Voracek and Kesler have been brutal so far... so I'm not sure if that means it'll continue or they're due.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm usually not someone who takes pleasure in the suffering of others, but man is it great seeing Philly fans turn on Giroux. Blaming injuries, linemates and the team as well. Best player in the world I tell ya.

If it makes you feel any better I am fairly certain that if the skate were on the other foot Flyer fans would be downright giddy and would be coming here in droves to let us know.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would play Kadri and Saad, personally. But that's just sort of the "easy" choice.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Voracek have a good game, though...despite Philly's struggles.

Kesler? Meh. I guess if you need FOs and PIMs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Saad for sure. Carolina is terriawful and Saad is playing a big role for the hawks. Id take Kesler as well. I think hes gonna have a good season under torts. Plus Philly is **** as well.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Hmmmm, thanks for the input. I think the Leafs / Wild will be lower-scoring, so I'll go Saad / Voracek. I don't want to be sitting Voracek when he breaks out, it's got to happen soon.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay, I could kind of understand the Flyers getting away with not being hit by Pronger's 35+ contract when they at least went through the motions of pretending that he might still be able to come back someday, but how do they get away with not being hit for cap circumvention after this?
"I'll say it, Chris is never going to play again," Holmgren told The Hockey News. "I have no problems saying it."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=434164

They signed Pronger to a 35+ contract knowing something like this could potentially happen. They've now publicly admitted that he's never going to play again, so putting him on LTIR is an utter farce. So how is this not Cap Circumvention?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Okay, I could kind of understand the Flyers getting away with not being hit by Pronger's 35+ contract when they at least went through the motions of pretending that he might still be able to come back someday, but how do they get away with not being hit for cap circumvention after this?
"I'll say it, Chris is never going to play again," Holmgren told The Hockey News. "I have no problems saying it."

They signed Pronger to a 35+ contract knowing something like this could potentially happen. They've now publicly admitted that he's never going to play again, so putting him on LTIR is an utter farce. So how is this not Cap Circumvention?

Simple answer.

It is and they will pay a penalty.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

How is that different than Savard? Just asking.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Savard's contract isn't a 35+ deal. If the Bruins wanted to compliance buy him out they could, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did next off-season as this is the last of his 'money' seasons. I'm pretty sure (read: speculation) the reason the Bruins didn't buy him out this time around was the fact that they'd have to actually pay him to do so, while insurance is likely paying the majority of his contract this year. With him due only $2.65 million the following 3 years (compared to $5 million this year) he's still very much a candidate to be compliance bought out. The Bruins still have both remaining.

edit: Freeptop nailed it - you can't compliance buyout injured players, so Savard can't be bought out. The fact remains that his contract simply disappears if he retires, though, while Pronger's would remain on the books because of the 35+ clause.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Savard's contract isn't a 35+ deal. If the Bruins wanted to compliance buy him out they could, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did next off-season as this is the last of his 'money' seasons. I'm pretty sure (read: speculation) the reason the Bruins didn't buy him out this time around was the fact that they'd have to actually pay him to do so, while insurance is likely paying the majority of his contract this year. With him due only $2.65 million the following 3 years (compared to $5 million this year) he's still very much a candidate to be compliance bought out. The Bruins still have both remaining.

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess I just don't see the difference in terms of cap circumvention. If both teams know the guy isn't playing again, how can they use LTIR designation? Or the other way around, how can we ***** about Philly doing it when Boston is doing the same thing?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think Homer's just saying the Flyers will not ever let him play again. Maybe Pronger himself hasn't given up hope and officially retired yet. Usually there's paperwork that a player needs to file for such a thing. No reason for Pronger to file that paperwork and stop receiving the money from his contract.

I'd imagine the Flyers are still having to pay his ginormous contract in full with him on LTIR. I don't think they would have to if he were retired, but it's only money, so I doubt they care as long as it gets them around the cap issue.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Savard isn't an over-35 contract, so if he retires, his cap hit comes off the books. Technically, they're actually more penalized under the Cap by keeping him on LTIR than they would if he officially retired. No circumvention.

The other difference, though, is that the Bruins have never stated an absolute "Savard is never going to play again." They've always couched it with, "may". Technically, they've left open the possibility that Savard could recover and play again. Holmgren flat out said that Pronger's never going to play again in absolute terms. It may seem like a minor difference, but it's actually a significant one.

Personally, I think they're both rather similar, but so long as officially, the player and the team maintain that the player is trying to return, then by the rules, it's valid. Once the team states that the player is never going to play again, that's the point where it is breaking the rules. At least, that's the case in my view. I am not a lawyer, though.

You can't buy out an injured player, not even with a compliance buyout. This is why Heatley is still a member of the Minnesota Wild.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You can't buy out an injured player, not even with a compliance buyout. This is why Heatley is still a member of the Minnesota Wild.

Forgot about that one, I remember hearing that in the Summer.

The 35+ remains the catalyst to me, as you said Savard retiring would essentially make the remainder of his contract null and void; Pronger retiring would leave the Flyers with an empty cap hit that couldn't be hidden. The Bruins would want Savard to retire, while on the other hand it's in the Flyers' best interest to make sure the 'R word' never gets uttered.

They're both legitimate career-ending injuries, both would be stupid to even try come back, but that's a risk that you take when you sign those 35+ deals. Having the LTIR out negates a significant part of the blow. It does have to be noted that the Flyers (and Bruins) do still get a slight penalty by this - Pronger still counts as part of their cap in the off-season, so the LTIR effect helps them in-season a hell of a lot more than it does pre-season, they can't just sign someone to Pronger's contract figure in the off-season and slot him into that spot once the season begins to get the full benefit of the LTIR, but the fact that it's not a hard cap until opening night degrades much of that effect.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Pronger will not retire because he will lose out on the money remaining on his contract. The league wont do anything about it because nothing in the CBA says a player cannot be on LTIR due to a career ending injury.

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
Pronger will not retire because he will lose out on the money remaining on his contract. The league wont do anything about it because nothing in the CBA says a player cannot be on LTIR due to a career ending injury.

The interesting years will prolly be the last two when he only would make $575k per year. The question is if he want to postpone his HoF induction by another two years then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->