Around the NHL (NHL Tonight is an Abomination)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Every thing I do has a purpose. Do not question the dark side.

BTW guys look at that release... I think Jordan is finally ready to reach that 40G plateau! ;)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The funny thing about all of the Mighty Ducks love is that those jerseys were universally reviled the last time they were worn.

I guess 7 years of looking at the garbage that replaced it can make anything look good.

It's ****ing eggplant & jade, people. These are grown men wearing eggplant & jade. It's fun as a once-a-year retro thing, but it's embarrassing to both the players and the league to have a team named after a children's movie.

The Ducks do need to do something, though. For as much as I think of these jerseys as 90s marketing run amok (still prefer it to all of the stupid black & red 'tough' crap that came soon after, I'm looking at you Buffalo) they're still preferable to the boring team owner's wife-designed regular look. That team needs a total re-brand again.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I agree that they have to do something, but disagree that those eggplant jerseys only look good in comparison.

I also happened to like (and own) this jersey too:

Phoenix%252520Coyotes%2525202002-2003%252520Jersey.JPG

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
The funny thing about all of the Mighty Ducks love is that those jerseys were universally reviled the last time they were worn.

I guess 7 years of looking at the garbage that replaced it can make anything look good.

It's ****ing eggplant & jade, people. These are grown men wearing eggplant & jade. It's fun as a once-a-year retro thing, but it's embarrassing to both the players and the league to have a team named after a children's movie.

The Ducks do need to do something, though. For as much as I think of these jerseys as 90s marketing run amok (still prefer it to all of the stupid black & red 'tough' crap that came soon after, I'm looking at you Buffalo) they're still preferable to the boring team owner's wife-designed regular look. That team needs a total re-brand again.

It's NOT just a child movie.:puppy:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Okay, the Wildwing jersey coming back would make me impossibly happy. That's the The Room of hockey jerseys.

Mr. Butternubs - I'm not a fan of that one at all, but I do have to admit that I love the primary kachina Coyotes jerseys. I'm a sucker for working in native motifs into a design...it really helps emphasize the locale in a way that few teams are able to. Of course this only works in places where that heritage plays a huge role. Probably my favorite logo in all of college sports belongs to the Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves.
500px-Alaska_Anchorage_Seawolves.svg.png

This is probably also why I was so excited about the possibility of a Seattle Totems team in the NHL.

Those old Coyotes jerseys...
tumblr_m2cxy8GUGA1qaax88o1_1280.jpg

...are stylized after Kachinas, spirit beings in Pueblan cosmology/religion. That's a hell of a lot cooler backstory than 'it's a coyote howling'.
K85A.jpg
NDmaidenB.jpg

Woolaroc_-_Kachina-Puppen.jpg

And yes, I do own a kachina-era Coyotes jersey :P I abhor the team's existence, but damn it I will always love that jersey.

To the hockey - the Ducks are just dominating this game while wearing the eggplant and jade. It's only a 3-1 lead, but it could easily be 7-1.

edit: Bonino, 4-1

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It might get to 7-1.

Anaheim seems to have such a dimly lit arena. TV broadcast is always a few shades darker than everyone else. MSG is usually fairly dim as well.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
My mom just found my old black Coyotes jersey in her garage last week. Still awesome even though the sleeves only come halfway down my forearms.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Feel bad for NJ fans. That team is depressing to watch.

Feel bad for the fans, but not Devils management. They signed a bunch of guys that couldn't score, and they didn't forfeit their 1st round pick in 2012 when they had the 29th pick.

And from reading the Devils board, it looks like they hate DeBoer for some of the same reasons we've been frustrated with Bylsma. He hates young players and plays crappy try-hard guys in their places.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Feel bad for the fans, but not Devils management. They signed a bunch of guys that couldn't score, and they didn't forfeit their 1st round pick in 2012 when they had the 29th pick.

And from reading the Devils board, it looks like they hate DeBoer for some of the same reasons we've been frustrated with Bylsma. He hates young players and plays crappy try-hard guys in their places.
Which will go down as one of the more shortsighted decisions a pro sports team can make.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Which will go down as one of the more shortsighted decisions a pro sports team can make.

Possibly. Though the Capitals traded Forsberg for Erat, and then Oates won't play Erat in the top 6 because he's a left-handed RW (he's OCD about wingers not playing their off-wing). Devils got some competition in that regard as to who is more shortsighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad