Around the NHL - It's HERE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Hmmm.

Has nothing to do with being paired with one of the top 5 D in the NHL, I'll bet.

Obviously that plays a huge part. But he still held his own on the top pair playing big minutes all night against the other teams top players.

Like I said, who knows if he actually sticks on the top pair. The Kings defense ain't what it used to be either. They've lost some good defenseman. So I'm sure that also plays a role in McNabb playing on the top pair.

All I'm saying is if McNabb actually ends up being a legit top pair defenseman, that trade is going to look pretty bad considering what we got in return (and it would bring up some questions about Murray's talent evaluation abilities).
That hasn't happened yet by any means though. McNabb would have to stick on the top pair beyond just this season (and look good while doing so).

Even if McNabb ends up being a very good 2nd pair defenseman, that trade could look not too great. It all depends on what Fasching turns in to. I worry about Fasching's skating ability at the NHL level. I'm not convinced that he turns into an NHL player yet.

Just to be clear though, I really like Tim Murray and what he's done so far. It's going to take years to truly evaluate many of the moves he made. I was just making an observation after watching the Kings game (and mixing some of my opinion and "what if's" in with it).

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Obviously that plays a huge part. But he still held his own on the top pair playing big minutes all night against the other teams top players.

Like I said, who knows if he actually sticks on the top pair. The Kings defense ain't what it used to be either. They've lost some good defenseman. So I'm sure that also plays a role in McNabb playing on the top pair.

All I'm saying is if McNabb actually ends up being a legit top pair defenseman, that trade is going to look pretty bad considering what we got in return (and it would bring up some questions about Murray's talent evaluation abilities).
That hasn't happened yet by any means though. McNabb would have to stick on the top pair beyond just this season (and look good while doing so).

Even if McNabb ends up being a very good 2nd pair defenseman, that trade could look not too great. It all depends on what Fasching turns in to. I worry about Fasching's skating ability at the NHL level. I'm not convinced that he turns into an NHL player yet.

Just to be clear though, I really like Tim Murray and what he's done so far. It's going to take years to truly evaluate many of the moves he made. I was just making an observation after watching the Kings game (and mixing some of my opinion and "what if's" in with it).

Nothing to do with mcnabb, but are you really worried about faschings skating ability? For his size, he can skate pretty damn well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So I was watching the LA Kings game last night and they have McNabb playing on their 1st pairing with Doughty... and looked good too. I'm not sure that McNabb actually sticks on the 1st pair. We shall see.

Man, what a bad trade that would end up being if McNabb turns into a legit 1st pairing defenseman for the Kings. We gave then McNabb and TWO 2nd round picks for Deslauriers and Fasching. (A 4th liner and a possible what, maybe 3rd line winger?)

And I know hindsight is 20/20 (and we were deep at D at the time of the trade), but boy it would be nice to have a good left handed defenseman right now.

In most of my LA viewings, McNabb has ranged from bad to serviceable. Whose subjective impressions are true. LA fans mostly hated him last year, and resent when Doughty has to carry his ass around the ice.

Were you joking when you said in a subsequent post that "even if McNabb becomes a good second pairing defenseman..." as if that's his floor? Or am I misinterpreting?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
In most of my LA viewings, McNabb has ranged from bad to serviceable. Whose subjective impressions are true. LA fans mostly hated him last year, and resent when Doughty has to carry his ass around the ice.

Were you joking when you said in a subsequent post that "even if McNabb becomes a good second pairing defenseman..." as if that's his floor? Or am I misinterpreting?

No, I didn't mean that was his floor. I just meant IF he turns into a good, solid #3 or #4 defenseman, the trade could still potentially look bad depending on what Fasching turns in to and what type of role (if any) he play on our team.
That's a lot of what ifs though on my part. It's still too early to judge the trade.

I know McNabb had a somewhat rough year last year, but I thought I I read/heard that he had a really strong camp this year and was really starting to find his game...? Maybe I'm mistaken. I only watched that one game, so I don't really know.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Nothing to do with mcnabb, but are you really worried about faschings skating ability? For his size, he can skate pretty damn well.

I only seen Fasching a couple of times total, but both times I seen him he didn't look like a very strong skater and he had a skating coach working with him almost the entire time... (training camp)

I know he has potential to be a good power forward, but I'm still not 100% sold on him making the NHL.
Actually, I am also kind of worried he doesn't even sign here. I'll probably feel better once he does.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Frederik Andersen has a .940 sv% and he's 0-3-2

Anaheim's inability to finish is impressive. They're one of only a couple teams with a worse collective sh% than Buffalo. They been shutout, what? Like 5 times now? Even if Andersen had a .99 sv%, Anaheim still would've lost more games than they won

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Also, don't look now but Grigorenko is only 1 point behind Duchene on the season.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Also, don't look now but Grigorenko is only 1 point behind Duchene on the season.

Grigs is looking pretty good. Unfortunately, his game needs time and space to operate in and that's not today's NHL.

Duchene is off to a really bad start. Cannot win a puck battle for the life of him. Seems a step slower too.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

That literally made me laugh out loud. Good one.

Yep, Grigo's getting ready to break out. He's on fire right now. One total point. An assist. Lmao.

Who knows, he could end up being successful. But I don't miss him. Zadorov is the only piece of that trade I miss. But I am thrilled with ROR. He is going to set such a great example for all these kids.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Connor McDavid only 2 points off the league lead.

I've gotten to watch all the Oilers games so far this season. McDavid is just amazing. The kid is just on another level. He has the ability to be the best player in the NHL. It's unreal.

I just hate seeing him in an Oilers jersey. They win their 4th lottery in 6 years while simultaneously causing Buffalo to lose the draft lottery for the 2nd straight year (has that Ever happened to anyone else?). It makes me sick that they've won THAT many draft lotteries. And even more sick that they got to draft McDavid... (and Gretzky back in the day too).

I think I will forever look at him and not be able to help wondering what could have been...
A Cup in Buffalo will get me over it I'm sure! lol

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Grigs is looking pretty good. Unfortunately, his game needs time and space to operate in and that's not today's NHL.

Duchene is off to a really bad start. Cannot win a puck battle for the life of him. Seems a step slower too.

I am so glad I don't have to suffer through that trainwreck anymore. Something is very wrong with the culture in Denver. From the team management to the local media to the fanbase. It's like they have an auto-immune disorder and can't help but destroy themselves.

God it's so much brighter rooting for Buffalo. Love that the fans here appreciate ROR, too.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I've gotten to watch all the Oilers games so far this season. McDavid is just amazing. The kid is just on another level. He has the ability to be the best player in the NHL. It's unreal.

I just hate seeing him in an Oilers jersey. They win their 4th lottery in 6 years while simultaneously causing Buffalo to lose the draft lottery for the 2nd straight year (has that Ever happened to anyone else?). It makes me sick that they've won THAT many draft lotteries. And even more sick that they got to draft McDavid... (and Gretzky back in the day too).

I think I will forever look at him and not be able to help wondering what could have been...
A Cup in Buffalo will get me over it I'm sure! lol

Yeah, I've been keeping tabs on the Oilers too (even posted over there a couple of times!:amazed:)

McDavid reminds me of McKinnon's rookie year. ONLY BETTER! Any other draft year and Eichel would be the obvious #1 pick. But last year's draft was extra special.

Eichel's a better fit in Buffalo in any event and will forge his own legacy.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I am so glad I don't have to suffer through that trainwreck anymore. Something is very wrong with the culture in Denver. From the team management to the local media to the fanbase. It's like they have an auto-immune disorder and can't help but destroy themselves.

God it's so much brighter rooting for Buffalo. Love that the fans here appreciate ROR, too.

I think the source of what you refer to starts inside the organization and locker room of the franchise. I would agree. There's some kind of complacency inside this organization that seems to have metastasized. Even back in 1996, it took the TRADE of Roy and Keane to wake up the team. Five years later it took Bourque and Blake to wake up the team. There's been nothing like that since. In fact, they've lost players who had the fire and ended up going elsewhere (and yes, both Stastney and O'Reilly wanted out and close observers will know that both were fed up with the management, coaching and saw that it would be necessary to look elsewhere to win.)

The rest of Denver is essentially clueless and susceptible to glory year reminisces put out by the organization. (20th year anniversary team, retreading an old timers game between Avs and Wings. Retreading 3rd jersey's that remind one of the "glory years' of the Rockies :shakehead.) Gotta sell tickets somehow.

The Sabres have pushed their legacy tales as well. I even have many of the publications and souvenirs. But the club was either competitive at the time or finally realized that finishing 8th place forever wasn't satisfying. Colorado just continues to circle in the whirlwind drain spout of the NHL's bathtub.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think the source of what you refer to starts inside the organization and locker room of the franchise. I would agree. There's some kind of complacency inside this organization that seems to have metastasized. Even back in 1996, it took the TRADE of Roy and Keane to wake up the team. Five years later it took Bourque and Blake to wake up the team. There's been nothing like that since. In fact, they've lost players who had the fire and ended up going elsewhere (and yes, both Stastney and O'Reilly wanted out and close observers will know that both were fed up with the management, coaching and saw that it would be necessary to look elsewhere to win.)

The rest of Denver is essentially clueless and susceptible to glory year reminisces put out by the organization. (20th year anniversary team, retreading an old timers game between Avs and Wings. Retreading 3rd jersey's that remind one of the "glory years' of the Rockies :shakehead.) Gotta sell tickets somehow.

The Sabres have pushed their legacy tales as well. I even have many of the publications and souvenirs. But the club was either competitive at the time or finally realized that finishing 8th place forever wasn't satisfying. Colorado just continues to circle in the whirlwind drain spout of the NHL's bathtub.

From an outsider's perspective, I tend to think Colorado has an ownership/revenue issue more than anything else.

The bizarre infatuation with not paying anybody above Duchene seems based on either cheapness or a general revenue issue, and seems like it's overly dictating their behavior.

It's one thing when Detroit played that game with a clear Hall of Famer in Lidstrom (under a different time and CBA), but that's just not going to fly today, especially with the talent they let walk (ROR & Stastny) who didn't exactly get all that much more than the 6 million limit. I mean you can't find an extra 1.5 for ROR after letting Stastny walk, but you give Soderberg almost 5 million a year? You let Stastny walk for nothing when you know ROR wasn't going to take 6 and be happy?

Just bizarre to me, which is too bad since I have fond memories of watching the great Av teams and Forsberg was such an exciting force in his prime to see play.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Every time I bring up to Colorado fans that they should have shopped Duchene and given RoR the $7.5 every single one tells me that it would have been a disaster for the locker room for someone to be making more than Duchene and Landeskog and that with MacKinnon's extension coming up not feasible. If the locker room is that fragile that you can't pay a guy more money than guys who signed their contracts years ago when the market was totally different then you have a terrible group of players. Not to mention RoR's contract would have bought out a hell of a lot more UFA years than anyone else because Colorado dicked around with his contract in the first place and let Feaster offer sheet him. Plus if MacKinnon and Barrie's upcoming extensions are going to cripple your salary cap that much even with Tanguay (and Duchene if traded) then your team is very poorly setup. Colorado should just fold and relocate if their front office mentality is "nobody but MacKinnon can make more than Matt ****ing Duchene."

I'm eagerly awaiting the day that Buffalo plays hardball with Sam Reinhart because he wants to sign a contract for more than what Zemgus Girgensons got. Except that wont happen because even Buffalo works in reality.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Every time I bring up to Colorado fans that they should have shopped Duchene and given RoR the $7.5 every single one tells me that it would have been a disaster for the locker room for someone to be making more than Duchene and Landeskog and that with MacKinnon's extension coming up not feasible. If the locker room is that fragile that you can't pay a guy more money than guys who signed their contracts years ago when the market was totally different then you have a terrible group of players. Not to mention RoR's contract would have bought out a hell of a lot more UFA years than anyone else because Colorado dicked around with his contract in the first place and let Feaster offer sheet him. Plus if MacKinnon and Barrie's upcoming extensions are going to cripple your salary cap that much even with Tanguay (and Duchene if traded) then your team is very poorly setup. Colorado should just fold and relocate if their front office mentality is "nobody but MacKinnon can make more than Matt ****ing Duchene."

I'm eagerly awaiting the day that Buffalo plays hardball with Sam Reinhart because he wants to sign a contract for more than what Zemgus Girgensons got. Except that wont happen because even Buffalo works in reality.

My dad watches like almost every Sabres game. Last year when ROR trade rumors started I told him Colorado would have to be stupid to let him go. He didn't watch Colorado hardly ever so he had no clue what I was talking about. Over the summer when the trade happened I said to him Colorado just ****ed up and traded the wrong guy. He still didn't get it. Now... I think he gets it.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
From an outsider's perspective, I tend to think Colorado has an ownership/revenue issue more than anything else.

The bizarre infatuation with not paying anybody above Duchene seems based on either cheapness or a general revenue issue, and seems like it's overly dictating their behavior.

It's one thing when Detroit played that game with a clear Hall of Famer in Lidstrom (under a different time and CBA), but that's just not going to fly today, especially with the talent they let walk (ROR & Stastny) who didn't exactly get all that much more than the 6 million limit. I mean you can't find an extra 1.5 for ROR after letting Stastny walk, but you give Soderberg almost 5 million a year? You let Stastny walk for nothing when you know ROR wasn't going to take 6 and be happy?

Just bizarre to me, which is too bad since I have fond memories of watching the great Av teams and Forsberg was such an exciting force in his prime to see play.

Bizarre is correct. Sakic's been trained by Lacroix and I think Pierre whispers in his ear. This Duchene must be their highest paid player is ridiculous.

Stan Kroenke turned the reins over to his son but the Kroenke's are basketball people. Little things show it as much as budgetary ones. Stupid things like Av games that conflict with Nuggets game are relegated to the jr TV channel in deference to the BB team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: