Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
We are a 1 line team. Canucks shutting us down perfectly. We have no chance at coming back if no one else steps up.
What game did you watch?

The Canucks gave up 45 shots and we hit 5 posts.

The Canucks are getting handed this series because our goalie is the worst starting goalie in the playoffs. For the 2nd post season in a row.

The new GM needs to give an honest assessment of why this team has fallen short the last two years and Skinner is at the top of the list. Nurse, ceci and depth scoring are on there as well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It didn’t go anywhere, we are playing a tough team.
That game against the Kings the high danger chances were identical to this game. Difference was goaltending on both sides.

You aren’t going to dominate teams in the playoffs. Games will be back and forth. If we can only win games we dominate we aren’t going to go very far.
but you also can’t take extended naps like the Oilers have in this series. You can’t ease your way into games. When you see a weakness you attack it. That’s what the Canucks did.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What game did you watch?

The Canucks gave up 45 shots and we hit 5 posts.

The Canucks are getting handed this series because our goalie is the worst starting goalie in the playoffs. For the 2nd post season in a row.

The new GM needs to give an honest assessment of why this team has fallen short the last two years and Skinner is at the top of the list. Nurse, ceci and depth scoring are on there as well.
Biggest reasons for playoff failure

1. Skinner is literally the worst playoff goalie in the cap era. Worst save percentage and his 5 times pulled is the most for 20 games played.. I think ever.

2. Nurse and Ceci just DO NOT work together, Nurse and Desharnais don't work either but they are consistently the worst pairing. Coaching staff is at least trying to limit their minutes but they almost only see 3rd line opposition and are getting crushed. Its like having 2 Ian Coles.

3. Depth scoring is pretty invisible however coaching staff is falling into the "load up the top line" mess again. All the good playoff teams right now are spreading the wealth thru the lineup.
Dallas top 9
Robertson - Hintz - Stankoven
Benn - Johnston - Pavelski
Marchment - Duchene - Seguin

Colorado
Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Ratanen
Nichushkin - Mittelstadt - Parise
Wood - Colton - Kiriranta
(Drouin is injured or this would be a little different)

Rangers
Kreider - Zibanejad - Roslovic
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Cuylle - Wennberg - Kakko

Most are spreading out over 2 lines, some sprinking into the third.
We load up literally one line and thats it. You can't win like that.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
If Draisaitl wasn't injured, he would likely be centering his own line. Maybe Ryan Nothing-Happens and the rest of the bottom 9 can step up with a few goals. You know things are dire when Ian Cole has more goals than all of our bottom 9.

Reactions: frag2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
but you also can’t take extended naps like the Oilers have in this series. You can’t ease your way into games. When you see a weakness you attack it. That’s what the Canucks did.
Vancouver took most of the second and entire third off. I have seen most teams that are still here take 10 minute periods being either asleep or behind.

Reactions: iCanada

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Vancouver took most of the second and entire third off. I have seen most teams that are still here take 10 minute periods being either asleep or behind.
Yeah because they kept the Oilers mostly to the outside like most teams do when they get a lead on us. That game last night was like a few we have seen over the years. Would be nice for someone, anyone to step up but if the end of the game is any indication they’re not angry about losing or getting bullied.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Knob is a lame duck coach. Hes useless. Doesnt know how to run a bench, scared to make changes and sits there with a dumb f***ing look on his face as his best players get assaulted on every play.

Show a f***ing pulse man. Work the refs, get angry, say something. ANYTHING. Tochett was working the refs before game 1 and knob just sits there looking f***ing dumb every single time they cut to him. Guys a lemon.

Reactions: BIeucheeseWithWings

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Knob is a lame duck coach. Hes useless. Doesnt know how to run a bench, scared to make changes and sits there with a dumb f***ing look on his face as his best players get assaulted on every play.

Show a f***ing pulse man. Work the refs, get angry, say something. ANYTHING. Tochett was working the refs before game 1 and knob just sits there looking f***ing dumb every single time they cut to him. Guys a lemon.
Really shows how a team reflects the personality of the coach, given our refusal to engage in any physicality. My guess is that Knob doesn't prioritize this as important when talking wtih the boys, and they have responded accordingly. Trash coach that's gifted McDrai with dinosaur tendencies like every other coach and has no spine to make some lineup changes.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah because they kept the Oilers mostly to the outside like most teams do when they get a lead on us. That game last night was like a few we have seen over the years. Would be nice for someone, anyone to step up but if the end of the game is any indication they’re not angry about losing or getting bullied.

Like we did to Vancouver in game 1?

What happened there?

Ooh yeah, Skinner let in 2 softies from the blue line.

AlbOilFAN

Jan 26, 2018
This the way i see it, Skinner is beating us not Canucks, do we have the depth or the defence to win Stanley? No. But first game he lets in 5 and 3 of them were gifts, second game he lets in another muffin. Last night he lets in 4. We need to score minimum 5 to win a game.
And f*** the oiler media guys for defending him.

Reactions: Kerberos

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lol you are so hypocritical it’s hilarious. When we blew game 1 after Skinner let in atrocious goals you blamed the team for not getting enough shots after we built the lead.

Now the Canucks do the EXACT same but their goalie makes the saves and you are praising the Canucks for locking down the game. :laugh:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah we played super well in game one. Are you ever going to call out your boy? Dash five in three games this series.

Just because Nurse isn't playing well doesn't mean Skinner isn't playing worse.

And I've been pretty explicit that we need to bench Ceci and replace with Stecher.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
I think Oilers fans are justified in bitching about the reffing though. How many holds and cross checks were uncalled against Van and then the chintzy one comes back on us?

It’s this whole mindset “it is what it is” is what created this whole game management bullshit. The blind acceptance that it’s “playoff hockey” and normalizing this shit reffing is a huge problem and it hurts us more than any other team
Could not agree more.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Shoutout to that f***ing figure skating event yesterday that ruined our ice tonight. Players on both teams were falling all over the place and the puck had so many bad bounces along the boards and by their net in the first and third period. Who allowed that shit during the playoffs? There was about 1000 tickets sold to boot.
I was recruiting a kid once and his dad told me the mom was an Olympian figure skater, which is super cool. And that he, the dad, had been a pro athlete. Unreal family in athletics I'm thinking.

Turns out, the dad was in the Ice Capades as a backup skater kind of guy and that was his "pro athlete" experience.

When I say I cried laughing when I found this out, there is no hyperbole there at all. f***ing hilarious.

Thought the thread could use a laugh. f*** Skinner. Oil in 6.

• Haha
Reactions: UHHHH SON

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If this was true then McDrai would each have 10-20 more goals.

Good for our window, bad for the long term.

Maybe we can just do a Marner/Nurse swap.

Hah I'd honestly do that without an extended Marner. And then either flip or just ride one year. That 9+M of Nurse is a forever anchor

The defence outside the Nurse pairing were fine. Limited chances quite well outside the first. And even then, Skinner didn’t make one save you’d expect a starter to make. He played like a below average backup.

He is playing so bad he is making Silovs look great.

Nurse and Ceci suck this round. Skinner is worse.

I've said earlier in this thread-the Dmen will at worst give you ~20 mins of shit play per night; Skinner is guaranteed 55+

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Would 100% do a marner nurse straight up swap.

Getting out of nurse and his contract would be massive. Can easily find a tanev weeger type to replace

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not going to bother watching if the Oilers start Skinner next game. Got better things to do like spend time with my 2 month old

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One thing they need to do is break up the 3rd line. While McLeod's not getting scored on, he can't keep leaving his linemate out to hang by looking into the air and skating away when Perry is trying to engage the Canucks.

That's not McLeod's game, fine. But then play him on a line with Janmark and Ryan/Brown where it's okay for them to keep their nose as clean as their defensive zone.

I like the idea of getting Carrick back in there and letting him and Perry muck it up a bit. Assuming Henrique is still out, For next game I'd go with...

Drai-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-RNH-Kane
Janmark-McLeod-Ryan
Foegele-Carrick-Perry

With the plan to toss one of McDrai out with the 4th line occasionally to switch up the matchups.

Maybe even swap Holloway and Drai if you want to save the nuclear option for later in the game.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad