OT: Around the NHL | Good riddance, Rivalry Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
...and i just got sucked in too a moment ago.:laugh:

:laugh:

6b6j.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Honour Over Glory

Dan Rosen and EJ Hradek spent a fair amount of discussing Henrik's patience - or lack thereof - with teammates in the Rangers preview.

Yeah, he just needs to go, I understand why he's choked, but it's not like the Rangers were horrendous his entire tenure with them so far. There's also the fact that the coaches he's had, have tailored their team's system to protect him first and foremost and that was probably their biggest downfall during his prime/peak years. They basically sheltered the crap out of him and were one of the top shot blocking teams for a long time because of it. Then the playoffs would start and he'd get exploited like crazy because teams have a best of 7 to prep and find a way around their shot blocking and collapsing. His entire Rangers career, he's missed the playoffs what, 2x?

For Henrik to throw his tantrums, yell at the ref, then throw his team under the bus just shows a huge lack of character. He'll go down as a great, no doubt, but the Rangers hanging on to him is about as dumb as the Canucks hanging on to the Twins. Know when to walk away.

Rangers would be smart to eat 2m/yr of his salar (he'd then be a 6.5m cap hit or something) in exchange for another 1st round pick, a prospect, and a youngish NHL ready forward.

Again, Toronto should be the most interested and vice versa given they are desperate more than ever to make the biggest splash as they can, netting Tavares and then Lundqvist in the same off season would basically make them one of the biggest favorites in the Cup race. Take Andersen off their hands, ask for their 1st, then pry one of their prospects off of them like Kapanen or Liljegren.

Andersen is a 5m/yr cap hit.
Lundqvist would then be a 6.5m/yr cap hit for 3 more years.

Wait, why am I trying to fix these two shit teams?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They’ve got an internal cap and wanted to stay pretty low this season. Maybe next year they’ll spend a bit more. They aren’t far away from competing in the playoffs. At the moment the West wildcard spot is s little easier. I love Raanta. Thought he was the best goalie in the NHL last season (didn’t get a Vezina nomination!)

Speaking of internal caps. The NHL cap floor is 58.8 mil. Carolina is at 61 mil and should be competitive. They are the anti-Detroit who are maxed out and already into LTIR :laugh:

Detroit is such a shit show, it's awesome. While we give zero shits about 2009, they hold that torch like @ColePens missing out on a deal of a lifetime at the Gucci loafer sale.

I wonder why any player signs for a long term deal with Detroit, like what was Larkin thinking there? That they'll magically become better managed? Good luck with that dude, I would have loved Larkin on the Pens, him and AA are tailor made for the Pens. I'll dream.

I really wanted Matthews to end up in Arizona some how, but it's too bad that won't happen. Arizona has decent fans, I get why they don't go to many games when they've had a terrible city/arena issue and relationship and then the ownership changes and terrible owners. I really hope they find that stability, if the NHL is hell bent on never moving them, then I hope that team is finally sorted out. It seems like they could be, I really like that Galchenyuk deal, the Tocchet hiring, AR as their #1, etc...I feel like we'll see the Coyotes rise up the ranks next season. They won't make the playoffs, but they'll finish higher than the Oilers for sure.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, the Hawks messed up too, but at least you can understand why they'd view Raanta as expendable. Corey Crawford was much younger and much better than Lundqvist.

You're probably right about the expansion draft and I guess it worked out well enough for Vegas, even if Raanta is better than Fleury too.

I view Crawford as better than Lundy, not quite sure what is up with his injury (Is it or isn't it post concussion, enjoy that Crosby-esque drama, Hawks fans). I think Vegas would have wanted Fleury no matter what. He came with fanfare, 3 cups under his name, a very respectable career with enough in the tank to prove he can do more (and then he did), he's their first franchise superstar. AR wouldn't have been, I think that was just a great match no matter what, Vegas was going to get fans, but Fleury helped put them there faster.

Anyone see the TSN documentary on mid 80s 1st Overall Joe Murphy? How his playing injuries might have contributed to him being homeless for many years?

Finding Joe Murphy: Former Blackhawk and No. 1 overall pick is homeless

NHL is gonna get in more hot water the more players speak out. The league already got really lucky that the class action was thrown out, though.

He might have had injuries, sure.

But Joe Murphy was also a grade A asshole of a human being. He burned every bridge he possibly could with multiple teams before he left the NHL on messed up terms. Whether he wants to blame injuries or his behavior is up to him, but I can't feel sorry for him knowing about the kind of person he was then vs what he's become now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brandinho

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He might have had injuries, sure.

But Joe Murphy was also a grade A ******* of a human being. He burned every bridge he possibly could with multiple teams before he left the NHL on messed up terms. Whether he wants to blame injuries or his behavior is up to him, but I can't feel sorry for him knowing about the kind of person he was then vs what he's become now.

Yeah. I have no idea. I didnt watch or read much. Just thought someone might have caught it and been able to report more.

But I mean, f*** the NHL and NHLPA and NHL Officials Association, in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm glad the organization doesn't need to sign him. A team could benefit from signing him, but his off-ice actions are deplorable.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I’m waiting for Malkin vs Encino man but someone will only use their scores on the Radmobile arcade game. :laugh:

One guy in the threads was trying to discredit Malkin and doing a terrible job. Saying he has one of the highest PP points percentage which doesn’t really matter when you’re one of the best ES producers since he’s played in the NHL.

Or one year his PPG dropped when Crosby was out. He was going at a 1.4 PPG rate, oh no! :laugh:

Reactions: BladeRunner66

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I’m waiting for Malkin vs Encino man but someone will only use their scores on the Radmobile arcade game. :laugh:

One guy in the threads was trying to discredit Malkin and doing a terrible job. Saying he has one of the highest PP points percentage which doesn’t really matter when you’re one of the best ES producers since he’s played in the NHL.

Or one year his PPG dropped when Crosby was out. He was going at a 1.4 PPG rate, oh no! :laugh:

Without a doubt you should make this thread.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Detroit fans will blame Zetterberg's bad back on the '09 Penguin team in some way.
Might as well. I dunno how anyone can still be salty almost a decade later but they still are. That's what you call the most entitled fanbase on HFBoards. Gotta love how anytime Pens win the cup it's been rigged, like people ACTUALLY believe that shit. We should have 0 cups and 0 playoff visits in our entire time Pens have been around in the NHL, because we are such a useless and worthless hockey club and fanbase. Anything and everything bad should happen to us because they are the Penguins and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad